Dalmahoy and Scottish Open

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Playing Dalmahoy in July and then going to the Saturday of Scottish Open as part of my 50th celebrations. Never been to a pro event so pretty excited to see the gulf in class between pro's and amateurs. Anyone played Dalmahoy East Course before?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We played there last July, the course, setting, scenery and fairways were terrific, but the greens were badly needing cut, the slowest we've ever played.I think they were trying to protect them due to the long dry spell we had.
Hopefully they'll be cut before you go.(y)

DCB

Visit site
It's a typical resort course now. Greens always seem to be an issue. Changes made in 2005 spoiled the course IMO. Fortunately they have revamped the 16th which was just there to add length. A busy corporate venue.

sunshine

Visit site
Very long, gets a bit wet, some interesting holes, some really bland and very ordinary holes. Ok for a resort course, been in good nick whenever I've played it. Hotel is nice.

Don't even consider playing the other course it's dreadful.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm playing a Texas Scramble over the West Course today. I used to be a member here in the late 70s, before it became a Country Club but haven't played there in at least 30 years so I'll be interested in how it is. Apparently Mariott no longer own it. I can remember as a kid watching Tony Jacklin and Brian Barnes playing in the Embassy sponsored competition there in the late 1960s.

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm playing a Texas Scramble over the West Course today. I used to be a member here in the late 70s, before it became a Country Club but haven't played there in at least 30 years so I'll be interested in how it is. Apparently Mariott no longer own it. I can remember as a kid watching Tony Jacklin and Brian Barnes playing in the Embassy sponsored competition there in the late 1960s.

Hope you have a great round, love to hear your thoughts

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well we played pretty well today, finishing sixth out of a field of over forty. The course, however was a wee bit disappointing being a bit scruffy for what I had expected from a once premium club. Don't get me wrong, the playing surfaces were good and the greens small and tough to stop a ball on, but the place had a look of requiring a bit of TLC. Perhaps this is because Dalmahoy has just recently changed hands and maybe the larger East Course is in better condition, but compared with Ratho which is only a few miles away it is second best. I appreciate that we are only two weeks into May and with the temperature being in the mid twenties today it might have felt like it was mid summer, but last week it was single figures and growth has been slow. Hopefully when you come to play it in the summer, it will be back to being a premier course.

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for update! We are playing East on July 12th so hoping it will be in good nick! Saying that, we will have a laugh regardless so looking forward to whole weekend and Scottish Open in particular

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm sure you'll enjoy Dalmahoy, the big course is pretty challenging with some excellent holes.

SO is a great event. Nowhere nearly as busy as the Open so you can get closer to the action. If the setup is similar to Gullane the practice ground is worth a quick look. I was standing about 5 metres from the likes of Mickelson hitting balls on the Saturday morning a couple of years ago.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Played it last July both courses decent but the Sun had done a lot of damage to the greens and fairways, I preferred the smaller of the two, both are not overly difficult to play as said above a good mix of nice scenery, tricky holes and some very ordinary holes, enjoy mate

D

Deleted member 25575

I used to be a member there a few years ago 07ish.

I like the course, very challenging, long as some have said. The biggest problem and what made me give my membership up, was pace of play, soooooo slooooow, used to try and get out of work at 4 mid summer, tee off about half past and struggle to get round by 9pm. Weekends were worse, so had to give it up.

I enjoyed the wee course as you could skip round there a lot faster, but it wasnt anywhere near as good as the big course.

Sure you'll enjoy it though hopefully pace of play has picked up over the last 12 yeara