Cycling

D

Deleted member 16999

some of is circulation as the shoes are tight ish, plus SPD pedals which are metal don't help.

i did have some seal skin socks years ago but didn't find they worked that well. I've got a nice pair of neoprene overshoes that worked great with my road shoes, but just won't fit the MTB shoes
Have another look at the sealskinz, they come in varying thickness’s etc, wearing a thin pair under another pair might work.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Remembered that road pro#s used to just wear and old pair of socks over their shoes on cold days so stretched an old pair of cricket socks and cut a hole in the bottom for the SPD. worked OK as short term, but got soaked on the way back and that made my feet really cold.

will have to look into a new pair of sealskins(y)

jmcp

Visit site
Not a cheap option but I tend to ride in MTB boots in the winter, I use the same boots for both my road and MTB bikes, have spd sl pedals on both, not great if you have to do any walking though, if I know a route is going to require a lot of getting off the bike then I put flat pedals on and use an old pair of hiking boots and often a pair of gators on, the gators help a lot.

cheers, John

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
any Mountain bikers got any tip for keeping your feet warm this time of year, it been minus temps most days the last week

been out in the snow the last few days, but had to head home after and hour and a half as my feet were freezing. tried my old road overshoes, but they won't fit over the MTB shoes, tried warmer socks, and even a carrier bag over my socks but nothing really works

Tried Sealskinz, feet still freezing.
Bought some Madison and D2D winter socks, feet still freezing.
Wore some ankle sports socks underneath the winter socks, feet still cold but definitely better and bearable.
I'm not sure if more to do with my shoes, I wear Etnies Marana Mid Crank which are superb but not exactly a winter shoe. I have some cheap skate shoes I bought from Sports Direct the other year, may try those to see if it's any better.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wore some ankle sports socks underneath the winter socks, feet still cold but definitely better and bearable.
I'm not sure if more to do with my shoes, I wear Etnies Marana Mid Crank which are superb but not exactly a winter shoe. I have some cheap skate shoes I bought from Sports Direct the other year, may try those to see if it's any better.
UGG boots ! Just bolt your cleats on..

D

Deleted member 16999

Another thing you can do is to use merino wool sock liners.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
any Mountain bikers got any tip for keeping your feet warm this time of year, it been minus temps most days the last week

been out in the snow the last few days, but had to head home after and hour and a half as my feet were freezing. tried my old road overshoes, but they won't fit over the MTB shoes, tried warmer socks, and even a carrier bag over my socks but nothing really works
Your Lycra tights are probably too tight round the knees and reducing circulation.
When I wear a Lycra knee support brace below my knees are really cold .

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
wife ordered some heated sole inserts, will see how they work out

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Could be, I am a tad out of date with cycling. Used to be into it alot. Dura ace and the top Campag, Record at the time, although they all now appear to be Record, used to be exotic materials, light as, but zero longevity. Things may have moved on.

Either way, nice looking bike.
I remember when Campag brought out Record carbon fibre levers. Beautiful looking things, until you dropped the bike and your £700 levers shattered all over the floor:eek:
In my opinion there's no point going for absolute top end unless you're a pro and you get given the stuff, when i used to race i had a mix of Ultegra and 105 and it all worked fine, an extra 20g off the groupset really isnt worth it at club level

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

I’ve tried all types of socks and combinations of socks to keep my feet warm to no avail,however now I’ve found something that works.
Deep heat,I rub it all over the feet and in between toes ,really takes the edge off the cold for me.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I’ve tried all types of socks and combinations of socks to keep my feet warm to no avail,however now I’ve found something that works.
Deep heat,I rub it all over the feet and in between toes ,really takes the edge off the cold for me.
thats sounds like something to try(y)

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Slightly off topic but the mention of Sealskinz. My mother in law bought me some Sealskinz gloves for Xmas. Fantastic. Waterproof and hands warm. A little thick but kept my hands warm on my ride.

I need overshoes too. My feet are always cold and wet towards the end of a ride.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Slightly off topic but the mention of Sealskinz. My mother in law bought me some Sealskinz gloves for Xmas. Fantastic. Waterproof and hands warm. A little thick but kept my hands warm on my ride.

I need overshoes too. My feet are always cold and wet towards the end of a ride.
the best overshoes i had were Look Neoprene, always kept my feet warm and dry back in the days when i did a lot of winter training miles. got them in 92 and still like new.. shame they won't go over my MTB shoes

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have some DHB overshoes, they are great! Especially as I only have triathlon shoes at the minute which are a bit breezy!!! LOL

D

Deleted member 3432

Just been watching Danny MacAskill's latest video, The Slabs.

The man is utterly bonkers but the scenary of the Skye Cuillin's is amazing.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Got some foot warmers to try in my MTB shoes, felt ok for the first 20 mins but them just as bad as nothing. packaging said they lasted 8 hours, both stone cold after an hour, feet like blocks of ice by the time i got back

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
MacAskill’s Dubh Slabs video is a bit of an odd one, impressive but a lot less technical than his others. The weird thing for me was the sense of steepness didn’t come across too well. The “making of” video they’ve put out shows how steep it is in places much better, so that’s worth a watch too.