Custom driver. Is it worth it?

samsee

Hacker
Visit site
Hi all,

First up sorry if this has already been asked/answered.

Im looking at maybe changing my driver. I am currently using the callaway big bertha diablo. I find that its not very forgiving in the slice department some shots can be straight, others fade nicely, and then the slices come out to play!

My question is, if I get a custom fitted driver will this reduce my likely hood of slicing the shot?

I should add I am a high handicapper

any advice on custom fitting would be appreciated :)

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Only marginally at the moment imo.

Spend a little money on lessons first.

At your level C/fit will ensure that you are using clubs that are basically suitable for you - not exaggerating any faults. Presumably, you wish to improve and should be taking some lessons. Your Pro is in a pretty good position to make the 'basically suitable' decision too. He/She is also likely to be able to say when your clubs might be holding you back and that's probably a good time to go the Custom Fit path.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hi all,

First up sorry if this has already been asked/answered.

Im looking at maybe changing my driver. I am currently using the callaway big bertha diablo. I find that its not very forgiving in the slice department some shots can be straight, others fade nicely, and then the slices come out to play!

My question is, if I get a custom fitted driver will this reduce my likely hood of slicing the shot?

I should add I am a high handicapper

any advice on custom fitting would be appreciated :)

Well.

When I had my iron fitting a week or so ago, I spoke to the fitter about my woods.

He advised that the current shaft I had wasn't quite right for me (Low spin head/low-mid launch shaft)

He advised that for my swing speed, which isn't brisk, a mid launch shaft and head would be more suited. Based on my swing he suggested my current driver and shaft option.

He was right.

The one question I would ask is Why are you looking to change your current driver?

samsee

Hacker
Visit site
Well.

The one question I would ask is Why are you looking to change your current driver?

I'm going to try other drivers out, the one I have is the fade version of the club. It is meant to encourage fading, so far I've not seen this happen. It will fade sometimes, but mainly slices or goes straight. Im wondering with my swing if a more neutral club would be better for me.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its the indian not the arrow I'm afraid, nothing the driver will do will produce a slice, to stiff a shaft may make you pop it right but not as a slice.Lessons would be the route I would go down first.

Gareth, I would say the 910 D2 is not a particularly low spin head, the D3 is so not really sure what your pro is on about.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I stand corrected,the D2 is a nice driver just to much spin for me!

With my swing speed I need a head and shaft to make the most of it.

@ the OP. If you're hitting your driver well enough, leave well alone and spend your cash on a lesson. Fix the swing not the equipment so to speak.

I loved my 630 driver but, as I say, my swing wasn't getting the best from that set up. Same swing in the 910, with the Kai'li shaft is completley different.

If it matters I hit a small fade.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The simple and cheaper answer is go for a lesson and get the technique sorted. Once you can hit it better you won't need assistance from draw bias etc and have a wider range to choose from. The pro will also be to tell you if the shaft is right or wrong.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
The simple and cheaper answer is go for a lesson and get the technique sorted. Once you can hit it better you won't need assistance from draw bias etc and have a wider range to choose from. The pro will also be to tell you if the shaft is right or wrong.

I agree with that Homer, having a series of lessons will be a better way of spending his money. Learn how to hit the ball properly first then worry about getting fit for clubs that suit your swing.