Cumbria flooding

• Thread starter Deleted member 3432
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Doesn't look good - hopefully it doesn't take any lives

D

Deleted member 3432

It's looks horrendous. Hope you're OK and keep safe. It's vile here on the Fylde and has been all day but we're lucky compared to Cumbria.

I'm just heading into work early to cover for a colleague who can't get out of his village. Nature of the job means someone has to be in work at all times.....

Touch wood ok where I live on a hill and main roads to work should be passable.

D

Deleted member 1740

I hope it doesn't get much worse, it's a beautiful part of the country too.

D

Deleted member 3432

Strange that very little has been reported about Cockermouth, extensive flooding of Main Street.
Locals have long said that flood defences installed after 2009 were never going to be enough and sure enough.......
Can't imagine any politicians turning up for this one receiving a warm welcome.
Many people going a have a rubbish Christmas, feeling guilty that we are lucky enough to have had no problems other than a broken pane of glass in greenhouse.

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
Lancaster/Morecambe pretty horrendous, although not on the scale of Cumbria. 55000 homes without power from Saturday night until late last night/early today. The bridges over the river were struck by debris also so they were closed. It's been really weird. Glad to be returning to some semblance of normality, although the homes and businesses that were flooded may take some time to return to normalcy.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Drove south from Glasgow down M6 on Saturday afternoon. The weather was unbelievably atrocious - especially coming down to Penrith then over Shap and down to Lancaster. Saw three trucks blown over (though there weren't many on the road) - our car was being battered by the wind and the rain made visibility really difficult - really difficult surface water and culverts shooting plumes of water into the air - quite amazing really. Traffic not daring or able to drive at more then the suggested 40mph - other than the usual idiots. I've never experienced anything like it.

Last edited:

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We've been in Windermere this weekend and its been horrendous. We were going to Hawkshead on Sat but all the roads were shut, park next us White Cross made some maybe all visitors leave due to the floods. We walked down to the lake and it was up to the road and had flooded loads of statics. Constant ran and wind from Friday onwards.

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
Power out to 2/3 of the supplies in Lancaster yesterday. 30 houses on our street kept power, ours included. Felt very guilty watching TV with lights on whilst they tried making tea over a candle opposite. We did invite some folks over who declined because they were concerned about getting robbed whilst out. In the end we went and sat in the back of the house. Silly I know.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Me and the lads have just come back from there. Never seen devastation like it. Such a shame for people that didn't manage to salvage their personals

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
Very relieved to be back on proper power in Lancaster. Can't help thinking we've come off very lightly in comparison though.
Talking to a lass earlier who had water in her flat 1 meter up the walls. Lost absolutely everything. Devastating.