Damage to Course in Bad Weather

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Like many courses at the moment ours is suffering from the weather. As is normally the case at this time of year the greenstaff have moved to protect the greens and surrounds by roping off the surrounds and directing players around the protected areas.

This inevitably leads to some areas being badly churned up in the general area, especially when the ropes change direction. The ropes and stakes are defined as immovable objects so swing / stance relief is available if they interfere. However, does the local rule F4 which deals with extensive damage due to heavy rain and traffic have to be in place to get any relief from these damage areas?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would not recommend a club having temporary stakes and ropes as immovable as there is no line of sight relief which in my opinion is unfair.

My view is that F4 would have to be in place.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't understand F-4. It describes the situation, but ends with, "but only when so declared by an authorized referee or member of the Committee."
What do the referee or Committee member declare or authorize? and to whom? Is it whatever the player decides?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't understand F-4. It describes the situation, but ends with, "but only when so declared by an authorized referee or member of the Committee."

1) What do the referee or Committee member declare or authorize? and to whom? 2) Is it whatever the player decides?

1) By specifying and defining the area as GUR by Local Rule
2) No

Steven Rules

Visit site
What do the referee or Committee member declare or authorize? and to whom?
By specifying and defining the area as GUR by Local Rule
The premise of F4 is that it is used when it is not feasible to define or mark individual damaged areas as GUR. So if it was possible to mark all the damaged areas as GUR then we wouldn't use, or wouldn't need to use, F-4.

My reading of F-4 is that it requires a case-by-case basis consideration during the round and requires a specific Committee/referee ruling upon request from the player. Therefore probably not applicable or feasible for regular club golf.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The premise of F4 is that it is used when it is not feasible to define or mark individual damaged areas as GUR. So if it was possible to mark all the damaged areas as GUR then we wouldn't use, or wouldn't need to use, F-4.

My reading of F-4 is that it requires a case-by-case basis consideration during the round and requires a specific Committee/referee ruling upon request from the player. Therefore probably not applicable or feasible for regular club golf.
So if this is the case how do you legislate to give relief from abnormal conditions in a normal club when there are too many to tag on a day to day basis?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yes, I now agree. I suggest that in such elite comps a referee or committee would have to be in attendance or available by radio/phone.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes, I now agree. I suggest that in such elite comps a referee or committee would have to be in attendance or available by radio/phone.
But it doesn’t say that F-4 is only for specific (“elite”) competitions.
I might suggest that F-4 is of little or no use without referees or Committee on site.

Last edited:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Question(s)
Group A is on the course with a referee and find player's ball in an undefined 'bad patch'. Referee uses F4 to declare it GUR. Is that ground now GUR for all subsequent groups? And if so, does the referee have to mark it somehow. Or somehow otherwise precisely define it, so that the the other groups know its extent?

Steven Rules

Visit site
It is common practice that once a referee grants relief under such circumstances, then either that referee or the tournament director or somebody else will follow up with a can of spray paint (or other marking device) and mark the area as GUR for the benefit of all future groups.

Addendum. It is common practice in elite tournaments without F-4 being in place. I don't think I have ever seen F-4 used.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is common practice that once a referee grants relief under such circumstances, then either that referee or the tournament director or somebody else will follow up with a can of spray paint (or other marking device) and mark the area as GUR for the benefit of all future groups.
And whilst that is being sorted out, the referee involved (or the TD) will radio all the other referees.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ta both

Personally, from the perspective of club golf, I don't see it as being either particularly practical, or indeed particularly useful. Foot traffic on an ordinary golf course isn't so heavy that this damage 'suddenly' appears overnight. IMO, worn or churned patches can usually be marked in the normal way as they become an issue.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site

Addendum. It is coomon practice in elite tournaments without F-4 being in place. I don't think I have ever seen F-4 used.
Referees normally carry a can of white paint with them for such occasions.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Ta both

Personally, from the perspective of club golf, I don't see it as being either particularly practical, or indeed particularly useful. Foot traffic on an ordinary golf course isn't so heavy that this damage 'suddenly' appears overnight. IMO, worn or churned patches can usually be marked in the normal way as they become an issue.
Maybe the course is unplayable for competition purposes?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If the course is so wet and subject to such damage, it should be closed.
Totally agree. Ours was closed mon, tues, weds, today it has been brutal. Rained all day. Course is open, just in time for the weekend. 🤔

tobybarker

Visit site
Ta both

If it's wet, buggy use can churn up the ground. Can't believe you think this isn't common