Dropping from Plantations in close proximity

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Put this as simple as I can. Two area of young trees both separately defined by stakes - areas are close together - maybe 2m separating the. Ball in one plantation. Nearest point of relief (say 3yds from ball) from that finds your swing being interfered with by trees in second plantation. I'm thinking you find nearest PoR from 1st plantation and drop - ignoring the second plantation - taking relief as if it did not exist. Having completed taking relief that relief situation is over. You than take relief from 2nd plantation as if that was your starting point.

That seems logical. However only question is that having taken relief from 2nd plantation you could be a long way from your original position in the 1st plantation. Say 10yds. But going back to position in 1st plantation there could be a point of relief that is only 5 yds from ball - and where the 2nd plantation does not interfere. Does that make any difference. I think not as relief is on a case by case basis - you wouldn't combine separate relief situations. But just checking.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
You are correct in your first paragraph. Take each situation in sequence.

You only combine relief from the two plantations if where the NPR from plantation A leads to interference from Plantation B and the NPR from B leads you back to where you started with interference plantation A. You can't assume that this is going to be the case: you have to go through the process of establishing the NPRs and dropping. Decision 1-4/8 is your reference.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You are correct in your first paragraph. Take each situation in sequence.

You only combine relief from the two plantations if where the NPR from plantation A leads to interference from Plantation B and the NPR from B leads you back to where you started with interference plantation A. You can't assume that this is going to be the case: you have to go through the process of establishing the NPRs and dropping. Decision 1-4/8 is your reference.

OK - thanks Colin - so if I find myself yo-yo-ing between the two plantations the first 'NPR' cannot by definition be my NPR. My NPR is from the original ball position in the 1st plantation which is not that first attempted.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
OK - thanks Colin - so if I find myself yo-yo-ing between the two plantations the first 'NPR' cannot by definition be my NPR. My NPR is from the original ball position in the 1st plantation which is not that first attempted.

Did you read clause 3 in the answer to the decision? (Modified to match your situation)

After the 2 drops
Using the new position of the ball in area A, the nearest point of relief from both area A and area B shall be determined which is not in a hazard or on a putting green. The player shall lift the ball and drop it within one club-length of and not nearer the hole than the nearest point of relief, on a part of the course which avoids interference by area A and area B and is not in a hazard or on a putting green.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

Maybe think of of more simply and sequentially like this.
You find the NPR from the plantation A and drop. You have interference from plantation B. You find the NPR from plantation B and drop. You are back to having interference from plantation A. These are the two drops rulefan refers to. From there you proceed as he has described to find the NPR from where your ball now lies (which is not necessarily where it was the first time it was in plantation A). This NPR is the point where there is no interference from either A or B. Who knows, with a bit of luck, that might even get you back on to the fairway.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Maybe think of of more simply and sequentially like this.
You find the NPR from the plantation A and drop. You have interference from plantation B. You find the NPR from plantation B and drop. You are back to having interference from plantation A. These are the two drops rulefan refers to. From there you proceed as he has described to find the NPR from where your ball now lies (which is not necessarily where it was the first time it was in plantation A). This NPR is the point where there is no interference from either A or B. Who knows, with a bit of luck, that might even get you back on to the fairway.

Thanks @Colin, thanks@rulefan