Cart path relief feedback

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Obviously that then opens up a discussion of what constitutes a swing.

That is easy it's in the definitions and rules

Stroke
The forward movement of the club made to strike the ball.

The rules do not define a backswing so it can be a very small movement but you are not allowed to hit the ball without moving the club back otherwise it constitutes a scrape. (assuming you do not start with the clubface back from the ball in the first place)

10.1a Fairly Striking the Ball
In making a stroke:
• The player must fairly strike at the ball with any part of the head of the club such
that there is only momentary contact between the club and the ball and must not
push, scrape or scoop the ball.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
That is easy it's in the definitions and rules

Stroke
The forward movement of the club made to strike the ball.

The rules do not define a backswing so it can be a very small movement but you are not allowed to hit the ball without moving the club back otherwise it constitutes a scrape. (assuming you do not start with the clubface back from the ball in the first place)

10.1a Fairly Striking the Ball
In making a stroke:
• The player must fairly strike at the ball with any part of the head of the club such
that there is only momentary contact between the club and the ball and must not
push, scrape or scoop the ball.
Is the first bit rule 10 too?

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
No.

8.1b/3 – Examples of “Fairly Taking a Stance”
Although a player is allowed to play in any direction, he or she is not entitled to a normal stance or swing and must adapt to the situation and use the least intrusive course of action.
Examples of actions that are considered fairly taking a stance and are allowed under Rule 8.1b even if the action results in an improvement include:
  • Backing into a branch or a boundary object when that is the only way to take a stance for the selected stroke, even if this moves the branch or boundary object out of the way or causes it to bend or break.
  • Bending a branch with his or her hands to get under a tree to play a ball when that is the only way to get under the tree to take a stance.
See 8.1b/4 for when a player gets a penalty for doing more than is necessary to take a stance.

8.1b/4 – Examples of Not “Fairly Taking a Stance”
Examples of actions that are not considered fairly taking a stance and will result in a penalty under Rule 8.1a if they improve conditions affecting the stroke include:
  • Deliberately moving, bending or breaking branches with a hand, a leg or the body to get them out of the way of the backswing or stroke.
  • Standing on tall grass or weeds in a way that pushes them down and to the side so that they are out of the way of the area of intended stance or swing, when a stance could have been taken without doing so.
  • Hooking one branch on another or braiding two weeds to keep them away from the stance or swing.
  • Using a hand to bend a branch that obscures the view of the ball after taking the stance.
  • Bending an interfering branch in taking a stance when a stance could have been taken without doing so.

hmm sure I once read in a golf magazine years ago it was building a stance. Thanks for that.

salfordlad

Visit site
Crazy though isn’t it when you consider the entire game is swinging a club at a ball. It’s like throwing a javelin with a brick wall right in front of you.
LOL, there is nothing in the Rules entitling you to a swing, you have to manage your way around the obstacles, using the available rule options when you run into problems.

nyckuk

Visit site
Q: If you happened to have some , could you tape up your club to prevent it getting scratched before play it off the path ????

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Q: If you happened to have some , could you tape up your club to prevent it getting scratched before play it off the path ????
No, the tape would be an attachment, not semi-permanent, and would make the club non-conforming.
Just hit the ball with the leading edge of the club, in the centre of the ball, or plain top it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

I carry a 'rock' club specifically for playing off gravel, paths, rocky areas, rough waste areas etc (plenty of them at home course with no relief)
Currently I use a cheap 5 hybrid but sometimes its an old 7I. Just something to move it 'safely' back into play and capable of medium distance (needed it three times just yesterday)

nyckuk

Visit site
I carry a 'rock' club specifically for playing off gravel, paths, rocky areas, rough waste areas etc (plenty of them at home course with no relief)
Currently I use a cheap 5 hybrid but sometimes its an old 7I. Just something to move it 'safely' back into play and capable of medium distance (needed it three times just yesterday)
I've got a similar club (3 driving iron) for punching out of trees,wooded areas and bushes but its a bit to nice for gravel pathways .Looking at the answers above i dont suppose your allowed to pre-tape it before the round starts
Lucky theres very few pathways on our course but lots of trees

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you think a shot off a path or rocky lie is likely to damage an expensive club, a one shot penalty for taking relief might seem cheap at the price.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If you think a shot off a path or rocky lie is likely to damage an expensive club, a one shot penalty for taking relief might seem cheap at the price.

I just like the option of moving it 150yrds off a gravel/rocky lie (albeit very hard) rather than taking a drop, and I use less than 14 clubs anyway so adding it into the bag isn't taking up space used by another club
Still have to take unplayable when its in the rocks but at least the crushed lava rock areas can be played from