Damage to Course in Bad Weather

Steven Rules

Visit site
If it's wet, buggy use can churn up the ground. Can't believe you think this isn't common
Backwoodsman was specifically referring to foot traffic. If the ground is so wet and soft then buggies should be prohibited so they won't be the cause any of the churn.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Backwoodsman was specifically referring to foot traffic. If the ground is so wet and soft then buggies should be prohibited so they won't be the cause any of the churn.
Just a club trying to stay viable in some of the worst weather I can recall in late Autumn. Buggies have been banned for weeks and trolleys are discouraged where possible. The greenstaff are careful but inevitably they leave some tracks with their vehicles. Marking such areas with white paint won't last more than a day in the current conditions.

The owners won't close the course as much of the accommodation on-site comes with golf included and thus the impact would be financially ruinous.

So, just trying to see if there is a way to get relief from heavy traffic areas and it appears there may not be.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Just a club trying to stay viable in some of the worst weather I can recall in late Autumn. Buggies have been banned for weeks and trolleys are discouraged where possible. The greenstaff are careful but inevitably they leave some tracks with their vehicles. Marking such areas with white paint won't last more than a day in the current conditions.

The owners won't close the course as much of the accommodation on-site comes with golf included and thus the impact would be financially ruinous.

So, just trying to see if there is a way to get relief from heavy traffic areas and it appears there may not be.
It it's just casual golf, go ahead and take whatever relief your group decides. It's not the end of the world!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

Fair enough. I appreciate what you're trying to achieve - I just don't think that MLR F4 is especially helpful to club golf (in that damage by players' feet and buggies tend not to arise all of a sudden and so can be marked in the usual way. I can see that getting it to stay marked, is problematic though.)

Just a thought though - whilst damage caused by maintenance vehicles is not GUR by default, does not Clarification 1 (under definition of GUR) allow for it to be declared so if the Committee see fit? Would that fit the bill? Can see that it might be ok for bad damage - although players may have to suck it up for lesser damage?

Swango1980

Visit site
Not really.
As in another tread it will cost a lot to fix the damage around the greens ( roped off)
Its a false economy.!
Well, I was only making the assumption that the club was staying open to make extra revenue, as I thought was suggested in your post.

If it is going to cost the club even more in maintaining the course, then you simply need to ask the club why they are making the decision that is costing them money in the long term. Tell them that, if they close the course, they will save themselves a fortune in course maintainence and could then offer reduced membership fees.