Cumbria flooding

• Thread starter Deleted member 3432
  • Start date

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So...Flood defences...
Obviously, what has been done wasn't enough but, surely, the only way to deal with that volume of rain is LA-style storm drains - completely inappropriate for the area as it will destroy the reason people want to go/live there.
So what is the way forward..?
The rain they had was extreme, very extreme, but how easy is it to legislate and prepare for these extremes..?

D

Deleted member 3432

So...Flood defences...
Obviously, what has been done wasn't enough but, surely, the only way to deal with that volume of rain is LA-style storm drains - completely inappropriate for the area as it will destroy the reason people want to go/live there.
So what is the way forward..?
The rain they had was extreme, very extreme, but how easy is it to legislate and prepare for these extremes..?

One of the problems, some locals would argue the main problem is a lack of dredging of the rivers. In the past rivers were regularly cleared of build ups of silt, rocks and other debris that could hinder a free flow of water.

The environment agency as it is now does not carry out such work. Using Cockermouth as an example prior to 2009 floods there, a build up of rocks under one of the bridges had formed a big island with the river running either side of it. Did not take a rocket scientist to work out this could cause problems in the even of extremely heavy rain over a sustained period.

To my knowledge I am not aware of any clearing of rivers since the 2009 floods other that by the floods themselves, the amount of rocks and debris that could be seen along the course of the river was astonishingly.

Of course this flooding may have occurred anyway but many older people believe the modern way of managing the rivers is the problem and the latest floods have not being a surprise to be honest.

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
One of the problems, some locals would argue the main problem is a lack of dredging of the rivers. In the past rivers were regularly cleared of build ups of silt, rocks and other debris that could hinder a free flow of water.

The environment agency as it is now does not carry out such work. Using Cockermouth as an example prior to 2009 floods there, a build up of rocks under one of the bridges had formed a big island with the river running either side of it. Did not take a rocket scientist to work out this could cause problems in the even of extremely heavy rain over a sustained period.

To my knowledge I am not aware of any clearing of rivers since the 2009 floods other that by the floods themselves, the amount of rocks and debris that could be seen along the course of the river was astonishingly.

Of course this flooding may have occurred anyway but many older people believe the modern way of managing the rivers is the problem and the latest floods have not being a surprise to be honest.
This.

D

Deleted member 3432

Weather warnings again for Thursday, 20-30 mm rainfall expected with worst affected areas receiving 50-60 mm.

Great........

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
For anyone who knows Keswick, this was a picture of the flood defences that were erected in 2012. The foreground of the picture is the main road in to Town. On the left you can just make out the play area of the local Pre-School. There is a (now ironic) plaque on the wall commemorating the opening of the Flood Defence Wall in October 2012 by Chris Smith. Just over 3 years later and the plaque was under water..
CVfXR7-XIAIyB39.jpg

I was there yesterday and the water was still high, but was approximately 12-15ft below this level. The devastation caused was eye opening. The iron footbridge just a bit farther up river (in the middle of Fritz Park) had been torn off its mooring on one side and bent flat to the river bank. The Cricket Pitch and Sprts fields were under a foot of silt, and huge trees had been uprooted and placed hundreds of feet from the river bank.

However, there were positives. The Pop Up Charity shop in the main square was heaving with donations from all around the Country. The Army were in Town to help with the clean up. Tourists were flocking in to spend money in the Pubs (I had a few pints of Double Hop myself). There were approximately 30-40 volunteers in the park clearing the debris..

Last edited:

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site

Paul Daniels [along with the delightful Debbie] made a very strong presentation for a return to the 'old ways' of river management when the Thames was last in flood... All the 'right people' sort of nodded, in agreement, but as usual did nothing and forgot about it when all returned to normal... Sadly, I suspect this will happen again for Cumbria...

D

Deleted member 3432

Paul Daniels [along with the delightful Debbie] made a very strong presentation for a return to the 'old ways' of river management when the Thames was last in flood... All the 'right people' sort of nodded, in agreement, but as usual did nothing and forgot about it when all returned to normal... Sadly, I suspect this will happen again for Cumbria...

I' m total agreement with what you are saying.

The other day when Glenridding was flooded the second time while the Environment Agency was discussing what they could do, local contractors were in the thick of it with heavy plant actually clearing out debris to let the water away.

D

Deleted member 3432

Flood warnings in place again today, it has barely stopped raining since the initial floods and its torrential again today. No end in sight!

Got new neighbours two doors down, victims of flooding in Cockermouth. They are in good spirits considering its not the first time this has happened to them.

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
Yep heavy rain and localised flooding in Lancaster as well, although I don't expect it to be as bad down here this time round.
Thoughts with all.
For anyone that wants to help, there's a Christmas song available at 99p on iTunes and Bandcamp.
[video=youtube;uGVXxm86VMI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGVXxm86VMI[/video]

D

Deleted member 3432

I agree. Some terrible pictures on the news tonight just after it seemed some communities were just starting to get on their feet

Certainly grim at the moment and the the forecast for the next few days is not good at all so potentially more flooding to come.

Got new temporary neighbours who have had their property flooded at Cockermouth. They are in good spirits but unfortunately its nots the first time its happenened to them.

Not a nice way to spend christmas..

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
We've just been put on notice thay we may be attending the area tomorrow and Christmas day. hope they have mince pie

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
To be fair, the flooding at the beginning of the month was caused by extreme rainfall on already wet ground. Nobody expected anything like it. The repeats are due to the fact that the water table is still high after the first floods, and the ground is waterlogged. All rainfall is running straight off into the rivers which just can't cope.
An absolute nightmare for all concerned, but the risk of it happening again should be minimal I'd have thought.
At the same time, you're right, insurance will be a nightmare for them.

D

Deleted member 3432

Heading to Carlisle tomorrow for a few days. Hopefully minimal disruption.

I would stop at home myself, weather warning for heavy rain again tonight followed by gales tomorrow.