Crazy difference for OOB line and Water Hazard line.

Yer Maw

Head Pro
Visit site
So how many know this one from a Gi mag last year.

OOB white line: ball is out of bounds when whole ball is within or over the line. So if half the ball sits on the line then your ball is in play. Difficult to determine when only stakes are used.

Water Hazard red line: the ball is slightly toughing the line then it is in the hazard. As above when stakes are used.

Good case for a bit of simplicity here either way i.e. either touching or completely over the line then it is a penalty, and one or two is optional, I'd perfer two.

:confused:

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wa told if there was no line drawn on the ground then you took a straight line between them as the line of hazard etc. is this correct?

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I will always give someone the benefit of any doubt (and expect the same in return) if there are only stakes.

The rules of golf are nearly as complicated as women. All we can do is guess as to what they actually want us to do

Last edited:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm with ron on this. I would always give the benefit of any doubt to my partners. If it is clearly OOB then it is a penalty but when it is dubious then sod it I say it is inbounds. At the end of the day I want to enjoy a round and have people enjoy playing a round with me. I can't stand an atmosphere as you have forced someone to take a penalty when they felt they did not need to.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
The thing is the Rules as well as being complicated also sometimes don't always make it easy to do the right thing even when you can work out what it is.

So in a situation where it is unclear whether the ball is OOB or not this could mean (I think - if I have this right):

1. Announce (or insist your opponent or fellow competitor announces) intention to invoke Rule 3.3 - Doubt as to procedure - and that you/he/she will play a second ball.
  2. Nominate which ball will be the ball that counts if the rules permit.
  3. Play the ball that might be out of bounds. Then carefully and precisely mark its position.
  4. Play your provisional ball (Decision 3-3/1 Provisional Ball Used as Second Ball When Not Determinable Whether Original Ball Is Out of Bounds) or if you didn't play one go back to the tee and play a second ball.
  5. Play out hole with both balls and record both scores.
  6. At the end of the round take a member of the "committee" out to where the ball which you thought might be OOB was marked and get a ruling.
  7. Sign for score based on this.
  8. Get a reputation as a paragon of rectitude but realise that you may also be called something less polite and that no one will ever want to play with you again.:D

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
To make it sound simpler, think of it this way.

The OOB line marks the boundary of the course, and is part of it.
The red stakes mark the boundary of the hazard, and is part of it.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our OOB tend not to be staked and here is the local rule which can be very contentious from what I've heard - in particular the reference to bare earth on the 11th and 12th as this obviously changes depending on the time of year and growth...

Out of Bounds
The River – Running wholly or in part alongside holes 1, 2, 11, 12, 13, 14.
Definition: The ball is deemed to be out of bounds in the river when it crosses the margin of the river where the grass runs to the boundary. Reeds growing out of the water are deemed to be out of bounds. Reeds growing through grass on land are not out of bounds – play the ball as it lies. In the case of Holes 11 & 12: if the ball crosses beyond the edge of the grass on to bare earth alongside the dense ‘hedge’ of trees and scrub, the ball is deemed to be out of bounds.
The Boundary fence – running alongside holes 15, 16.
Definition: The ball is deemed to be out of bounds when it finishes beyond the fence.
Ditch – running alongside holes 17, 18
Definition: The ball is deemed to be out of bounds when the ball leaves the level ground on top of the mound and crosses onto the downward slope of the ditch

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Phew Amanda, can't they just bung some white lines down?

Does this meet the requirements of Rule 33-2 - The Course

a. Defining Bounds and Margins
The Committee must define accurately:
(i) the course and out of bounds,
(ii) the margins of water hazards and lateral water hazards,
(iii) ground under repair, and
(iv) obstructions and integral parts of the course.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Phew Amanda, can't they just bung some white lines down?

Does this meet the requirements of Rule 33-2 - The Course

a. Defining Bounds and Margins
The Committee must define accurately:
(i) the course and out of bounds,
(ii) the margins of water hazards and lateral water hazards,
(iii) ground under repair, and
(iv) obstructions and integral parts of the course.

Tell me about it. I've heard of guys nearly coming to blows in medal rounds as some jobs-worth decides the ball is not sitting on grass so is OB even if it's a metre away from the hedge line. I'm sure they could argue it meets those rules as they state the margins BUT it is open to debate and that's the problem for sure.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Definition: The ball is deemed to be out of bounds when the ball leaves the level ground on top of the mound and crosses onto the downward slope of the ditch

I've heard this one too. It appears to cover situations where someone has removed a stake or lines have been washed away. It was explained to me as "if you know that your ball is in a hazard even if the markers are missing you have to play it as a hazard"

Yer Maw

Head Pro
Visit site
To make it sound simpler, think of it this way.

The OOB line marks the boundary of the course, and is part of it.
The red stakes mark the boundary of the hazard, and is part of it.

For me the easy way is water is water and you're either in it or not so imagining the line as water helps. Whereas OOB is a cliff edge and if half the ball is over then kiss it goodbye.