Using putter to mark ball position

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes…I can place my putter immediately to my ball if I want to tweak my ball alignment or pick it up without lifting or moving my putter. However, two questions.

When doing this does my putter have to be virtually touching my ball or can it be, say, 1” from the ball.

If I mark my ball position using the toe of my putter (and so not using a ball marker) can I then place a ball marker at the heel of the putter (so, for instance, that my marker is not on another player‘s line). Again, and as above, if this is ok to do…does my putter have to be virtually touching my ball, or can it be say 1” from my ball.

Last edited:

salfordlad

Visit site
There are no prescriptive requirements in the rules that prevent these approaches. Keep in mind the objective is to get the ball back in the correct place, these minor variations you propose do not get in the way of that when carried out carefully.

Steven Rules

Visit site
Using either a ball-marker or club head - the requirement is to place it 'right behind or right next to the ball'. See defintion of Mark and Rule 14.1a. (Edit - 'next to' also includes in front of the ball.)

In my opinion an inch away from the ball is probably ok but it is starting to stretch the friendship.

Clarification 15.3/1
Methods for Moving Ball or Ball-Marker Helping or Interfering with Play
When a player is moving their ball or ball-marker under Rule 15.3, it should be placed to the side by measuring with a club, such as by using the clubhead or the full length of a club. This can be done by measuring directly from the ball or by marking the spot of the ball and measuring from there.

Some examples of this include:

The player may mark the spot of the ball and then move the ball-marker one or more clubheads to the side.

The player may lay a club or clubhead down immediately to the side of the ball and move the ball to the other end of the club or clubhead, or place a ball-marker at that point.

In moving the ball or ball-marker, the player should align the club with a fixed object (such as a blemish on the green or a sprinkler head) to ensure that when replacing the ball, the steps can be reversed and the ball be replaced on the spot from which it was lifted. (New)

Last edited:

salfordlad

Visit site
Using either a ball-marker or club head - the requirement is to place it 'right behind or right next to the ball'. See defintion of Mark and Rule 14.1a. (Edit - 'next to' also includes in front of the ball.)

In my opinion an inch away from the ball is probably ok but it is starting to stretch the friendship.

Clarification 15.3/1
When a player is moving their ball or ball-marker under Rule 15.3, it should be placed to the side by measuring with a club, such as by using the clubhead or the full length of a club. This can be done by measuring directly from the ball or by marking the spot of the ball and measuring from there.

The player may mark the spot of the ball and then move the ball-marker one or more clubheads to the side.

The player may lay a club or clubhead down immediately to the side of the ball and move the ball to the other end of the club or clubhead, or place a ball-marker at that point.

In moving the ball or ball-marker, the player should align the club with a fixed object (such as a blemish on the green or a sprinkler head) to ensure that when replacing the ball, the steps can be reversed and the ball be replaced on the spot from which it was lifted. (New)
Curiously, this Clarification saying "should" measure with a club sits under Rule 15.3c, which states that the player MUST measure when a ball-marker (or ball) is to be moved to the side out. Failure to "measure" during this process gets the general penalty.
Even more curious, when returning the ball-marker or ball to the original position, there is no requirement to measure - it is merely a "should" issue and there is no penalty for failing to do so. I can see no logic in this asymmetry, but it is what we have for now.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
One could read should as referring to the means of measuring rather than contradicting the must of measuring. !5.3c requires measurement but cites club lengths only as an example of how to do the measuring.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Clarification 15.3/1

BIB (without moving his ball) was what my playing companion was doing yesterday - keeping his putter an inch or so away from his ball in the process - I assume to avoid risk of accidentally touching his ball before picking it up. IIRC he put the marker down before picking his ball up.

Steven Rules

Visit site
Your playing companion is worried for no reason. He should refer to Rule 9.4b Exception 3. There is no penalty when the player accidentally causes the ball to move on the putting green (see Rule 13.1d), no matter how that happens.

I'm not sure I know what BIB and IIRC mean. My mind has gone blank

salfordlad

Visit site
One could read should as referring to the means of measuring rather than contradicting the must of measuring. !5.3c requires measurement but cites club lengths only as an example of how to do the measuring.
I don't see any doubt about what is being required/proposed. It is: a) the rule requires the moving aside (of ball-marker or ball) must be through a process of measurement. General penalty otherwise, but the means of measurement is not codified; b) the Clarification suggests the player should use a club to do the measuring (either clubhead or the full club length).

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Your playing companion is worried for no reason. He should refer to Rule 9.4b Exception 3. There is no penalty when the player accidentally causes the ball to move on the putting green (see Rule 13.1d), no matter how that happens.

I'm not sure I know what BIB and IIRC mean. My mind has gone blank
If I Recall Correctly it means Bit In Bold 😊

In any case..it sounds like what my companion did was all OK - it just looked a bit odd to my eyes as I always mark my ball position then move the marker one or more putter heads.