Courses in the UK you would not recommend

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Things I've really disliked about courses have been poorcondition, wet, poor greens, or really slow play. Most of these may be temporary but I don't usually go back if they've happened but because they've only happened once I wouldn't necessarily criticise the course.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
The local 9 holer to me in Poulton is one of the fields with flags variety, coupled with terrible drainage and no (that i can remember) interesting holes to speak of.

Played it once and, despite it being a 5 minute stroll from my house, won't be bothering again.

Ha ha, similar experience for me. moved to Cleveleys 2 years ago and this is close so gave it a go. It was Winter but struggled to find my ball on the fairway (plugged and sunk with just the top showing several times), all greens were temps, no interesting holes.
Now play with 2 ex members - think the bar is the best thing about Poulton according to them :LOL:

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
The local 9 holer to me in Poulton is one of the fields with flags variety, coupled with terrible drainage and no (that i can remember) interesting holes to speak of.

Played it once and, despite it being a 5 minute stroll from my house, won't be bothering again.
Was a member there when I lived in Warrington. been around the UK, a member of many clubs, that is by far the best club I've ever been a member of, and it was only for two years (I'd made the mistake of joining Walton Hall for my first few years). Drainage on the first has recently been sorted, wasn't an issue round the rest of the course.

It's a tough wee course, and a great set up with by far the friendliest set of members I've come across. You're making a mistake passing it bye, especially as you can walk it.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Ha ha, similar experience for me. moved to Cleveleys 2 years ago and this is close so gave it a go. It was Winter but struggled to find my ball on the fairway (plugged and sunk with just the top showing several times), all greens were temps, no interesting holes.
Now play with 2 ex members - think the bar is the best thing about Poulton according to them :LOL:
As above, great club, great practice facilities, I made the mistake of listening to voices like yourself when I moved to Warrington, that was a mistake.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
That's quite a list of nice courses, what did you find wrong with them? I think playing the back 9 at Spey valley was one of my best memories of a Highland golf trip a few years ago.
Portlethen ~ it's a big field, that in places is long for the sake of it, the 200 yard walk back to the 17th tee being one of them
Craibstone ~ awful layout (great condition mind), the 11th being one of the worst holes in the north east
Spey Valley ~ always in awful condition, some ridiculous doglegs, and heather instead of semi rough means a ton of lost balls is likely. Massive walks from tees to greens. Great setting
Cardrona ~ Probably the worst condition course in Scotland
Rowany ~ it's jutstmeh, can't see how you think that there's much of a course there?
Peterculter ~ poor condition, poor layout, not a memorable hole on the course, worst course on Deeside

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Portlethen ~ it's a big field, that in places is long for the sake of it, the 200 yard walk back to the 17th tee being one of them
Craibstone ~ awful layout (great condition mind), the 11th being one of the worst holes in the north east
Spey Valley ~ always in awful condition, some ridiculous doglegs, and heather instead of semi rough means a ton of lost balls is likely. Massive walks from tees to greens. Great setting
Cardrona ~ Probably the worst condition course in Scotland
Rowany ~ it's jutstmeh, can't see how you think that there's much of a course there?
Peterculter ~ poor condition, poor layout, not a memorable hole on the course, worst course on Deeside
Does the fact you remember it was not memorable actually make it memorable? Obviously for the wrong reasons :cool:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think here are few things coming from this thread..
Drainage
Volume of traffic
Physical appearance

I left Langley because rounds were taking 5hrs and they had group on deals making it worse. The course had a good layout but I also disagree with internal out of bounds being applied only to amateur competitions ..
Is it a bad course no but the club lost sight of its members and that makes it hard to recommend

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
There’s only one course that I wouldn’t recommend anyone visiting, and that’s been an exclusive housing estate for several years. Decent layout but even in summer you could lose a golf ball plugged in a fairway.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Was a member there when I lived in Warrington. been around the UK, a member of many clubs, that is by far the best club I've ever been a member of, and it was only for two years (I'd made the mistake of joining Walton Hall for my first few years).
Walton Hall was the scene of one of the slowest partial rounds I've played. Gave up after taking 4 hours for the first nine.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ivinghoe
Short 9 hole course...1st hole is drivable but the green is at the bottom of the hill so you can't see it
Someone has to run 100 yards up the fairway to see if its clear
2nd is a dogleg par 3 - the green is behind a large tree and unless you can hit a controlled mahoosive high fade you're missing the green.
Has a cross over hole too (pet hate)
Has precisely nothing to make me want to even see it again let alone play it.
I played here several years ago, I only vaguely remember it, but I do remember everything you've said and they were daft holes. Particularly hitting over another green. It's either dangerous or going to cause delays while you wait for it to clear. I think that was a shared tee box as well with another hole going off at 90 degrees the other way? Another annoyance as people feel they need to wait for one another to hit out of politeness.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Played Ravenmeadow last week, pleasantly surprised at how decent it was for the price.

Oh thats lovely to hear! Its far better than it was 2 years ago, new greenkeeper does a great job with what hes inherited. We have better/ faster greens than a few courses close by in my opinion! - albeit they are smaller!

Just a rather boring back 9.. trying to get them to build a lake across 11, 12 and 13 but they arent having it :ROFLMAO:

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
Was a member there when I lived in Warrington. been around the UK, a member of many clubs, that is by far the best club I've ever been a member of, and it was only for two years (I'd made the mistake of joining Walton Hall for my first few years). Drainage on the first has recently been sorted, wasn't an issue round the rest of the course.

It's a tough wee course, and a great set up with by far the friendliest set of members I've come across. You're making a mistake passing it bye, especially as you can walk it.

Might be wrong but I suspect he's talking about Poulton near Blackpool/Fleetwood, not the one in Warrington.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Harvington near Evesham.
A course so bad it's worth double the green fee.
It has difficult to see grass ditches in place of bunkers.

I was even thinking of going there today.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
That name rings a bell. Large barn type building at/near the entrance. I don't recognise the other names.
Aye Alder Root has Farm buildings and now a garage workshop adjacent to the clubhouse and across the road from the course

I never played Antrobus as suggested above so not sure if it is similar.