Courses in the UK you would not recommend

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don’t think it’s a very ‘nice‘ or appropriate thing to do as it is likely that any course mentioned on such a list can be mentioned for reasons that do not reflect the general nature of the club; audience targeted; normal condition of the course, and disrespects the efforts made by those at any such club mentioned who are trying to improve things. Inclusion on any such list could easily upset and demotivate. I may know courses I was very disappointed in, but I would not mention them in the context of any such list.
If the mods feel this is inappropriate then please close the thread , if not please move to the lounge and not the for sale section

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Objectively, it was a terrible golf course.

But, the fact that it was built, giving the land a purpose, and giving people the opportunity to play who otherwise might not have been able to afford to play is fantastic. And wasn’t in question.

I didn't specifically mean yours, just that "worst" is a blunt description and some courses which are fairly modest are greater achievements than some of their more expensive neighbours.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
It can stay open for now, maybe rename it to courses that aren't your cup of tea? :D
I've moved it to OOB as it's not really for general consumption on the lounge section, I am open to suggestion though.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Leen valley golf club. Hucknall Nottingham.
Not sure if the course is still going. I know the range is but my god. You won’t find one worse. Only place I’ve walked off of due to conditions of the course in two holes.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Range, putting green and pitch and putt for learners and practice.
Nine par threes is a costly construction and costly maintenance and a waste of acres.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Range, putting green and pitch and putt for learners and practice.
Nine par threes is a costly construction and costly maintenance and a waste of acres.

We have a 9 hole course next to the range at the course

£7 a go, free to members .. low maintenance as it's done by the green staff they already employ

Tbh it's cracking it's really tough

Leftitshort

Visit site
looks nice.
Inland links? It’s not the course, it’s the description, it’s silly. ‘Should be inland reclaimed land with no trees’ but that looks bad in the website
I’ve also got slight issues with ‘royal’ courses but some of them are quite good, so I’ll ignore this for a while

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
looks nice.
Inland links? It’s not the course, it’s the description, it’s silly. ‘Should be inland reclaimed land with no trees’ but that looks bad in the website

Never a truer word spoken really. I've spoken to the GM when I joined he said they went for links style as it would take years to mature to park land (reclaimed landfill) so inland links

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Courses I wouldn’t go back to.
Pyrford, old thorns. Windlesham. The Oxfordshire.

Places I won’t play;
Any where that calls itself an ‘inland’ links. Or country club. Anywhere with no dress code

I haven't played Pyrford or Old Thorns. Been at Windlesham, didn't play it, didn't want to. Played The Oxfordshire. Played well, but hated the course.

I think an 'inland links' can be OK if the ground is right - heathland, heathery, countered and fast running, but I agree it is too often used to describe a featureless nothingness.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where is that?

That's my course

Ingrebourne links, fully open last year

Nearest thing To a coast is being close to the Thames lol

But 9 mins from my house or 15 in traffic I can't complain about it

Building 9 further holes aswell

Held 2 local PGA pro events for the club pros so it's classed as championship course lol

Never thought I'd like it there until I tried it

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have played a few that I would not play again but I would not mention their names as sometimes it has been restricted because of the land it was built on and sometimes it might be the only course in the area - better something than nothing.

G1z1

Visit site
Rouken glen thats by far the worst course I’ve seen, the bunkers had massive rocks in most of them and the others just had no sand. Greens also are just in bad condition.