Courses in the UK you would not recommend

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have the best 100 , how about the ones you wouldn’t recommend 100. You have to have played them and they have to be in existence.
Also you have to say why they are the worst..

This is purely opinion

Last edited:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Trouble is....unless they are truly awful, memories of the worst courses tend to drift off to the darker recesses of my mind.

I remember playing Maylands in Essex many years ago and whilst I dont believe the course was awful (though it wasnt remotely pleasing) I do remember the burned out Cortina in the middle of one of the fairways.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Trouble is....unless they are truly awful, memories of the worst courses tend to drift off to the darker recesses of my mind.

I remember playing Maylands in Essex many years ago and whilst I dont believe the course was awful (though it wasnt remotely pleasing) I do remember the burned out Cortina in the middle of one of the fairways.
That’s a novel hazard

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Encountered something similar at Hounslow Heath a few years back when it was still open.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Ivinghoe
Short 9 hole course...1st hole is drivable but the green is at the bottom of the hill so you can't see it
Someone has to run 100 yards up the fairway to see if its clear
2nd is a dogleg par 3 - the green is behind a large tree and unless you can hit a controlled mahoosive high fade you're missing the green.
Has a cross over hole too (pet hate)
Has precisely nothing to make me want to even see it again let alone play it.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can't think of any courses that I would put in a list of the worst 100.

Definitely the odd one for the 100 most boring courses and a few for the 100 most overpriced courses.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

I went past Old Musselburgh once and noted there was a car (minus wheels) in one of the bunkers on its 5th! Not that OM would be anywhere close to a 'worst' candidate!
A couple of courses that popped up as converted farmland that I played when working in Warrington were pretty dire. Probably not golf courses anymore though.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I went past Old Musselburgh once and noted there was a car (minus wheels) in one of the bunkers on its 5th! Not that OM would be anywhere close to a 'worst' candidate!
A couple of courses that popped up as converted farmland that I played when working in Warrington were pretty dire. Probably not golf courses anymore though.
If Mersey Valley was one, that's still going.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ivinghoe
Short 9 hole course...1st hole is drivable but the green is at the bottom of the hill so you can't see it
Someone has to run 100 yards up the fairway to see if its clear
2nd is a dogleg par 3 - the green is behind a large tree and unless you can hit a controlled mahoosive high fade you're missing the green.
Has a cross over hole too (pet hate)
Has precisely nothing to make me want to even see it again let alone play it.
I think I played there when I moved to the area … my memory has now been refreshed it’s a farmers field with flags

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Can’t remember the name. But there was a course in Doncaster that was built on old slag heaps. Club house was a shipping container. Preferred lies everywhere, down to the slag with a decent divot. I looked like I’d done a shift dahn’t pit after the round.

But one of the friendliest clubs I’ve ever been to.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I think a course built for very little on unsuitable ground is less deserving of criticism than a course built for a ton of money and which costs a lot to play but which is disappointingly dull or forgettable.

Objectively, it was a terrible golf course.

But, the fact that it was built, giving the land a purpose, and giving people the opportunity to play who otherwise might not have been able to afford to play is fantastic. And wasn’t in question.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Don’t think it’s a very ‘nice‘ or appropriate thing to do as it is likely that any course mentioned on such a list can be mentioned for reasons that do not reflect the general nature of the club; audience targeted; normal condition of the course, and disrespects the efforts made by those at any such club mentioned who are trying to improve things. Inclusion on any such list could easily upset and demotivate. I may know courses I was very disappointed in, but I would not mention them in the context of any such list.