Courses in the UK you would not recommend

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Courses I wouldn’t go back to.
Pyrford, old thorns. Windlesham. The Oxfordshire.

Places I won’t play;
Any where that calls itself an ‘inland’ links. Or country club. Anywhere with no dress code
While I can understand your reasoning behind (at least most of) your 1st paragraph, your 2nd strikes me as rather daft!
While 'inland links' is often an excuse for lack of expenditure/mintenance, there ARE inland courses that have a decidedly linksy feel to them. These should not be simply rejected out of hand imo.
Likewise, courses that have 'no dress code' often seem, to me, to be more progressive than those that have one - that is often ignored/inconsistent/has to be constantly upated as golf fashion changes.
The course I play at - happily travelling 45+ miles to do so - does not, as far as I know, have a dress code (course or clubhouse). I believe it may have had one at some stage, but deliberately dropped it in order to allow members/anyone to 'drop in' on their way home from work without having to change into 'acceptable' attire. I've not seen any adult players in any clothes that wouldn't be acceptable at virtually any course. Oh, and btw...there's a definite linksy feel to the views/scenery of the above course, if not to the turf of the actual course.

Leftitshort

Visit site
While I can understand your reasoning behind (at least most of) your 1st paragraph, your 2nd strikes me as rather daft!
While 'inland links' is often an excuse for lack of expenditure/mintenance, there ARE inland courses that have a decidedly linksy feel to them. These should not be simply rejected out of hand imo.
Likewise, courses that have 'no dress code' often seem, to me, to be more progressive than those that have one - that is often ignored/inconsistent/has to be constantly upated as golf fashion changes.
The course I play at - happily travelling 45+ miles to do so - does not, as far as I know, have a dress code (course or clubhouse). I believe it may have had one at some stage, but deliberately dropped it in order to allow members/anyone to 'drop in' on their way home from work without having to change into 'acceptable' attire. I've not seen any adult players in any clothes that wouldn't be acceptable at virtually any course. Oh, and btw...there's a definite linksy feel to the views/scenery of the above course, if not to the turf of the actual course.
Inland links = goat track
No dress codes = 3/4 length shorts & a wife beater

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
That's my course

Ingrebourne links, fully open last year

Nearest thing To a coast is being close to the Thames lol

But 9 mins from my house or 15 in traffic I can't complain about it

Building 9 further holes aswell

Held 2 local PGA pro events for the club pros so it's classed as championship course lol

Never thought I'd like it there until I tried it

i have looked at playing there as its looks lovely.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Bromley golf club was pretty ropey when i last played there about 25 years ago

another poor course that could've been nice was Kent and Surrey - its shut down now

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
There is a course in South London/Kent borders that i would not go back to, crossover holes, very cramped, hilly and constantly being told to “SHOOSH” by two lady members in front of us! (Wasn’t our fault she kept topping it?)

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is a course in South London/Kent borders that i would not go back to, crossover holes, very cramped, hilly and constantly being told to “SHOOSH” by two lady members in front of us! (Wasn’t our fault she kept topping it?)
Ruxley ?
I lost a few balls there im sure had hit the fairway, only to be offered them for sale by a lovely young lad from the local travelling community in the car park ?

Last edited:

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ruxley ?
I lost a few balls there im sure had hit the fairway, only to be offered them for sale by a pikey kid in the car park ?

Ruxley was shut for ages and has reopened as a 9 hole course.

A friend of mine was playing up the hill at Cray valley when one of the locals ran out and stole his ball. while giving chase another local on a quad bike stole his golf bag

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Barnhurst in Kent is one I wouldn’t rush back to , very tight 9 hole course,in fact it’s to tight to the point of being dangerous.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm going to generalise a little and say any course with a cross-over hole...
Hate them.
Feels like a poor piece of design.