Course recommondations in and around Manchester

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
So, I am going for a one week (well, nine day) holiday to Manchester about a week from now. I will have lessons with Chris Fletcher at the Trafford Golf Centre and a playing lesson at Dayhulme Park. What other courses in the area should I try to play? Keep in mind that I am a high handicapper and not a terribly long hitter, so I am probably happier with an easier course or even a 9-hole course than a prestigious difficult one. What are your hidden gems around Manchester?

Also, if someone fancies a game (I'll be availabe from the Sept. 25th to Oct. 1st), let me know via pm. I'd love to meet and get to play with some of you.

D

Deleted member 21258

Joanne (wife, hcap 35) and maybe me(probably not tbh, due to work pressures), would be more than happy to have a round on a 18 hole course with you somewhere there or in between, if no one local is available. Manchester is about 75 miles from here, so not to far.

Don't know the area up there or if you have a car whilst there. Sure someone else will be able to recommend some suitable golf courses

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are quite a few to go at :) Flixton, which is close to Davyhulme is a fairly quiet 9 hole course and usually in great condition. Dunham, Ellesmere, Swinton, Manchester GC, Sale, Didsbury, Withington, Ashton on Mersey and Northenden are close. Mere is not too far either but it’s gone a little corporate for my liking. If you look towards Bolton / Blackburn area there is Bolton Old Links, Bolton Golf Club, Pleasington and Blackburn. All are playable and not too hard. I hope the weather is kind to you as its not ben too good here the last 2 weeks. Teeofftimes.co.uk always have good deals and Its worth keeping in mind that some courses may be doing work on the greens at this time of year.

My course (Lymm GC) is about 20 minutes’ drive from the Trafford Centre and you’re of course welcome for a game.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would be delighted to host you at my course Warrington.
It is a shortish course in excellent condition and has nice views of the Cheshire Plain,Welsh Hills and over The Mersey Valley.
I do swear a little after 3 putting but only minor stuff like knicker elastic and stocking tops.
I am old and have a gizmo on my putter but do not use a chipper.

PM if you fancy a game.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would be delighted to host you at my course Warrington.
It is a shortish course in excellent condition and has nice views of the Cheshire Plain,Welsh Hills and over The Mersey Valley.
I do swear a little after 3 putting but only minor stuff like knicker elastic and stocking tops.
I am old and have a gizmo on my putter but do not use a chipper.

PM if you fancy a game.
How is John the green keeper keeping the course .
He used to be our green keeper and a really nice lad . Very good golfer also.

knutsford is a really nice 9 hole course always in good order.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Daveyhulme is a good shout. Not to long. Easy walking and always well presented. Love the colours all around the course in the summer.

Just remember to wear white socks. ;)

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll have a look at them. Whenever I look at Manchester on GoogleMaps to plan my trip, I am absolutely stunned at how many golf courses there are.

I sent pms out to those of you who said they'd want to play with me. Really looking forward to hopefully getting to know some of you.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How is John the green keeper keeping the course .
He used to be our green keeper and a really nice lad . Very good golfer also.

knutsford is a really nice 9 hole course always in good order.

The course is excellent .
It does come at a price , he seems to have as much equipment as Augusta!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Chorlton is a good place. Sale looks great. Heaton Park is cheap and a stunning test. Peter Alliss (I think) reckons it has the best par three in the country. Hazel Grove is good. I love Pike Fold.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Okay, back from my little golfing adventure around Manchester. Just wanted to thank all of you who recommended courses and of course especially thank Louise and dewsweeper for inviting me to a round on their home courses. I was very lucky with the weather (not a given at this time of the year) and enjoyed it immensely.

I ended up playing:
Flixton (just a quick 9hole round on my own)
Frodsham (with Darren's wife Joanne)
Davyhulme Park (as a playing lesson with Chris Fletcher)
Ellesmere (with Louise)
Warrington (with Mal aka dewsweeper)
Boysnope (on my own)

All of the courses were pretty nice, to be honest. Warrington was probably my favourite, with wonderful views over the surrounding countryside and pretty well drained even though there was a lot of rain in the morning before we teed off. Davyhulme felt the easiest to me, either because I was with Fletch and he helped me to make the right decisions or because it is closest to what I am used to from my home course. Ellesmere felt by far the hardest, because it has a lot of slopes and really tricky holes.

I'm looking forward to coming back some time and discover some more of the courses in the area.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Glad you enjoyed Warrington with Mal. Played there with him and loved it. God how it rained but never felt boggy. Enjoyed my 18 there with Mal.👍

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Okay, back from my little golfing adventure around Manchester. Just wanted to thank all of you who recommended courses and of course especially thank Louise and dewsweeper for inviting me to a round on their home courses. I was very lucky with the weather (not a given at this time of the year) and enjoyed it immensely.

I ended up playing:
Flixton (just a quick 9hole round on my own)
Frodsham (with Darren's wife Joanne)
Davyhulme Park (as a playing lesson with Chris Fletcher)
Ellesmere (with Louise)
Warrington (with Mal aka dewsweeper)
Boysnope (on my own)

All of the courses were pretty nice, to be honest. Warrington was probably my favourite, with wonderful views over the surrounding countryside and pretty well drained even though there was a lot of rain in the morning before we teed off. Davyhulme felt the easiest to me, either because I was with Fletch and he helped me to make the right decisions or because it is closest to what I am used to from my home course. Ellesmere felt by far the hardest, because it has a lot of slopes and really tricky holes.

I'm looking forward to coming back some time and discover some more of the courses in the area.

Get yourself over to Liverpool next time, there will be forummers options here also, if on a weekend - oh aye, a miles better city also.:thup:

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Get yourself over to Liverpool next time, there will be forummers options here also, if on a weekend - oh aye, a miles better city also.:thup:

LB.. Mcr city centre has changed quite significantly since you was last there watching Echo and the Bunnymen in 87. Rotters nightclub has closed down also.
You need to have a ride down the M62, see the changes etc... ;)

D

Deleted member 17920

LB.. Mcr city centre has changed quite significantly since you was last there watching Echo and the Bunnymen in 87. Rotters nightclub has closed down also.
You need to have a ride down the M62, see the changes etc... ;)
Peter is still getting over buying a pint and not getting change from a £1 note from his last visit :D