Course recommendations on the way to Scotland

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Every year, my friends and I travel to Scotland for the week and on the way up we play a course to break up the journey.

To give you an idea of locations, we have played Silloth, Carlisle, Brampton, Gleneagles (King and Queens) and Blairgowrie (Rosemount & Lansdowne) as we are heading over towards Aviemore.

We would prefer courses north of the border (or just below), rather than in England so we can get the bulk of the drive out of the way.

Could anyone offer up any recommendations / hidden gems on route that accept visitors on a Sat afternoon? Our route usually takes us M6 > A74 (M) > M9/A9, so anywhere just off that route would be perfect.

Thanks.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Every year, my friends and I travel to Scotland for the week and on the way up we play a course to break up the journey.

To give you an idea of locations, we have played Silloth, Carlisle, Brampton, Gleneagles (King and Queens) and Blairgowrie (Rosemount & Lansdowne) as we are heading over towards Aviemore.

We would prefer courses north of the border (or just below), rather than in England so we can get the bulk of the drive out of the way.

Could anyone offer up any recommendations / hidden gems on route that accept visitors on a Sat afternoon? Our route usually takes us M6 > A74 (M) > M9/A9, so anywhere just off that route would be perfect.

Thanks.

The M6 is a long road, where do you start out from?

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The M6 is a long road, where do you start out from?

We start from Bracknell, so join the M6 at Birmingham, but as I mentioned we would prefer courses north of the border, so the M6 section is relatively short, i.e. from Carlisle and north.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Powfoot's nice and Southerness isn't too far away from it. Moffat a bit further up is always worth a knock. If you go up the A7 instead of the main Mway then Cardrona or The Roxburghe can come into play.

I know it's earlier than you want on the English side you could easily stop off at Pleasington (Blackburn), quick detour on the M65.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Greenburn GC in Fauldhouse allow a few visitors on Saturdays and Sundays or perhaps Shotts GC on a Sunday both are not far of your route. What dates are looking for ?.

Last edited:

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I just wouldn't look past Silloth personally, even if it does add an hour to the journey.

Where in Scotland are you going to? Can confirm Lanark is excellent.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yep, Lanark is a beauty.

If you've ever played Delamere forest in Cheshire, like that but better, and lovely surrounding views.

I used to go to Scotland a lot on business and have played a few in the corridor, but out of Brampton, Lochmaben, Thornhill, Moffat, Southerness, Lockerbie - Lanark is far superior.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep, Lanark is a beauty.

If you've ever played Delamere forest in Cheshire, like that but better, and lovely surrounding views.

I used to go to Scotland a lot on business and have played a few in the corridor, but out of Brampton, Lochmaben, Thornhill, Moffat, Southerness, Lockerbie - Lanark is far superior.

Yip Lanark is first class but I don't think you can book weekend tee times as a visitor :confused:. But they do have an open comp on Wednesday 13th July you can book on line £16 :thup:

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Southerness is a fantastic links and worth turning left after Gretna.

Haven't played Moffat for years but they are nice and friendly. Course has a few mountains and a nice grass walled par 3.

Lanark is worth a visit and if you continue past Lanark heading East then Harburn is a great course with lovely greens

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yep, Lanark is a beauty.

We played Lanark last year but must have hit it on a bad day. Greens had been sprayed with some chemicals that made them look almost florescent! Purely down to that, almost everyone in our group of 20 was a bit underwhelmed with it.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yip Lanark is first class but I don't think you can book weekend tee times as a visitor :confused:. But they do have an open comp on Wednesday 13th July you can book on line £16 :thup:

my mates played on a Sunday about 6 or 7 weeks ago. You might need to phone up to book it rather than do it online.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We go every year on the 2nd weekend in Oct, so it's a little way away yet. Just doing some background research!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Certainly gives us plenty to think about.

Last edited:

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another thumbs up for Lanark.

Southerness also very good but possibly too big a detour on a long trip. Moffat is just minutes off the M74, good suroundings but no better than an "ok" course so depends what you're after.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
We played Lanark last year but must have hit it on a bad day. Greens had been sprayed with some chemicals that made them look almost florescent! Purely down to that, almost everyone in our group of 20 was a bit underwhelmed with it.

That would certainly put a 'damper' on the enjoyment - as a normal feature of Lanark is the rocket speed greens (and their quality)!

Great example of 'moorland' golf!

Certainly a really good course, if with (to me) a slightly 'dull' last few holes. The 18th is a (really tough) Par 3 and the previous couple are a bit featureless - though that doesn't prevent them being difficult!

Not played many/any of the alternatives, but would be happy to recommend the diversion to play Lanark!