Course re-assessment

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have our course re-assessed, all our ratings have dropped, I believe my handicap will rise quite a bit going forward. previously if I went round in 82 (10 over) I would get 8.7, in future it will give 10.4 Quite a jump an wil take me out of single figures :(

This will also mean our ratings are considerably less than a local course which in my mind is far easier

wjemather

Visit site
They are a number of things that could cause such a big difference between ratings, including: course changes, updated measurements that are significantly different from the old ones, and raters accounting for daily tee placements being ahead of the measured distance markers. If the latter, I'd expect similar to happen for many courses.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
They are a number of things that could cause such a big difference between ratings, including: course changes, updated measurements that are significantly different from the old ones, and raters accounting for daily tee placements being ahead of the measured distance markers. If the latter, I'd expect similar to happen for many courses.
Raters work from the fixed measured course blocks. The raters ignore the day's tees. Further, the hole length measurement certificate uses the fixed blocks unless they are not 4 yards in front of where there is no interference to stance or stroke.

It may be that the club had not got an up to date CM certificate first time or the course was given a temporary rating, although 4 years is an unusually long time.

wjemather

Visit site
Raters work from the fixed measured course blocks. The raters ignore the day's tees. Further, the hole length measurement certificate uses the fixed blocks unless they are not 4 yards in front of where there is no interference to stance or stroke.

It may be that the club had not got an up to date CM certificate first time or the course was given a temporary rating, although 4 years is an unusually long time.
Sorry, I wasn't very clear there - I wasn't referring to the tee placement on the day(s) of rating, but that historically many courses have been measured from distance markers at the very back of teeing areas and yardage has not always reduced accordingly during rating (especially for provisional ratings) - additionally, some courses were previously rated on measurements that were not particularly accurate.

Of course, COVID has put a dent in county rating programmes - our re-rating was due last year but is now provisionally scheduled for next.

Last edited:

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site

When it was assessed the previous time, we had the coursed measured too, definitely not a temporary rating either, it was done for WHS.

both the CR and slope have both been reduced for the red, white and yellow tees

D-S

Visit site
Sorry, I wasn't very clear there - I wasn't referring to the tee placement on the day(s) of rating, but that historically many courses have been measured from distance markers at the very back of teeing areas and yardage has not always reduced accordingly during rating (especially for provisional ratings) - additionally, some courses were previously rated on measurements that were not particularly accurate.

Of course, COVID has put a dent in county rating programmes - our re-rating was due last year but is now provisionally scheduled for next.
I’m surprised that ratings would be done on ‘not particularly accurate’ measurements. We always insisted on certificated measurements prior to rating a course. This saved a lot of time as soon as as you start the process and you find out that the measurements are wrong the whole process is pointless.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
When it was assessed the previous time, we had the coursed measured too, definitely not a temporary rating either, it was done for WHS.

both the CR and slope have both been reduced for the red, white and yellow tees
Sounds odd. Perhaps a call to the County Sec or EG?

wjemather

Visit site
I’m surprised that ratings would be done on ‘not particularly accurate’ measurements. We always insisted on certificated measurements prior to rating a course. This saved a lot of time as soon as as you start the process and you find out that the measurements are wrong the whole process is pointless.
Technology and methodology has much improved.