New course rating

Jason.H

Visit site
Our course has been re assessed by the county golf boffins. Quite a few changes on the stroke indexes and new scorecards won’t be available for some time. Im sure this has happened before but not during my time playing golf. So just wondering does the change cause many issues in the short term? Incorrect scorecards won’t help. 😂

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Our course has been re assessed by the county golf boffins. Quite a few changes on the stroke indexes and new scorecards won’t be available for some time. Im sure this has happened before but not during my time playing golf. So just wondering does the change cause many issues in the short term? Incorrect scorecards won’t help. 😂
So what has changed, course assesors do anything with stroke indexes that is down to the club. Course assessments look at CR and BR only.

Jason.H

Visit site
So what has changed, course assesors do anything with stroke indexes that is down to the club. Course assessments look at CR and BR only.
Ok so re reading the email. The course has been re rated which has been uploaded to the WHS.
And yes you are correct. It looks like the club has used the “Hole Statistics report on the WHS to update the Stroke indexes.
Apparently our course is now 80 yards shorter even though there’s been no tee or green changes.

wjemather

Visit site
Ok so re reading the email. The course has been re rated which has been uploaded to the WHS.
And yes you are correct. It looks like the club has used the “Hole Statistics report on the WHS to update the Stroke indexes.
Apparently our course is now 80 yards shorter even though there’s been no tee or green changes.
Many clubs find this when they get measured accurately with modern GPS equipment (instead of using a trundle wheel!!). I know of one course which is ~200 shorter than previously measured, with some holes being >20 yards shorter!

As indicated, SIs are set by the club committee - they can get advice from raters and use any available data, but ultimately they have complete control. As long as the new SIs are properly publicised, they shouldn't be any issue, other than players failing to take on board any information given, especially if the old SIs remain displayed.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Many clubs find this when they get measured accurately with modern GPS equipment (instead of using a trundle wheel!!). I know of one course which is ~200 shorter than previously measured, with some holes being >20 yards shorter!
I would agree with that.

I still have an old card where the yardages were done with a yardage wheel. Overall we lost just 38 yards on the whites and 21 yards on the yellows, we lost on some holes but gained on others.

What is noticeable sometimes we lost on the whites but gained on the yellow or the other way round. Possibly down to the fixed markers being replaced in slightly different locations over the years as the type of fixed locator was changed /rebuilding of tees.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I know that in Scotland the advise about stroke index is about how they should be spread out and not necessarily connected to hole difficulty.

Our index 1 is nowhere near the most difficult on the course.

Holes 1, 9, 10 and 18 are recommended to be indices 8, 9, 10 and 11 I think.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know that in Scotland the advise about stroke index is about how they should be spread out and not necessarily connected to hole difficulty.

Our index 1 is nowhere near the most difficult on the course.

Holes 1, 9, 10 and 18 are recommended to be indices 8, 9, 10 and 11 I think.
Match play needs a stroke index which places and spaces strokes to be fair to both giver and receiver.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
75% of competitive rounds with us are stableford, 20% medalplay, and 5% matchplay. So best biased to stricter hole difficulty, matchplayers can lump it.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Main areas are cost. All of the course boards will have to be changed. There is also some major admin work to be completed on the ISV with the problem with me is, it was done a while ago now and I can’t remember how I did all the courses. It’s an age thing.

Ours is being recalculated on the 18th and I have threatened the assessment team with death by a thousand cuts if they changes either the CR or the slope.

wjemather

Visit site
Main areas are cost. All of the course boards will have to be changed. There is also some major admin work to be completed on the ISV with the problem with me is, it was done a while ago now and I can’t remember how I did all the courses. It’s an age thing.

Ours is being recalculated on the 18th and I have threatened the assessment team with death by a thousand cuts if they changes either the CR or the slope.
Even if nothing has changed with the course itself, your ratings are almost certain to change due to changes that have been made to the system since your last rating.
Every course we have done this year has seen both course and slope ratings come down slightly.