Course Of The Month In This Months GM

• Thread starter Deleted member 1740
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1740

Do the courses that feature pay for this?

I was reading The Renaissance Club's two page spread in the mag tonight and never realised that only members and their guests can play there.

What's the point in printing the article if the paying public can't pay to play it?

Gutted really because i fancied playing there.

Bomber69

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

I was reading The Renaissance Club's two page spread in the mag tonight and never realised that only members and their guests can play there.

What's the point in printing the article if the paying public can't pay to play it?

It's a good track and worth playing but not one of the best.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
its a bit like top gear

show awesome cars but how many could most of us afford to even have a day in let alone own?

doesnt stop us wondering though ;)

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our club (Ealing) got a one page feature. It's a members course but open to the public midweek and pretty reasonable for the area. Oh, and like the article mentioned, the greens are incredible.

I don't think the clubs pay (may be wrong). Think the GM guys ring up and ask if they can come - and I'm sure nobody ever says no!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
For what its worth my club (Bangor GC) was in it a few years ago and had the usual pics, description, club logo etc and they def didnt pay anything.

D

Deleted member 1740

its a bit like top gear

show awesome cars but how many could most of us afford to even have a day in let alone own?

Not really Gibbo,no amount of money gets you on their course.

You could test drive an Aston Martin though...

I thought GM was a mag for golfers made by golfers.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
saw your efforts online ;)
1112_loc_soggy-bugatti.jpg

then again that could be Stu_C :rolleyes:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

If you contact them you might find they informally adopt a more flexible approach.

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
its a bit like top gear

This pretty much sums up our view on it and as I've said before in the magazine, when Loch Lomond first opened long before I joined the mag, I wanted to know everything about it even though, as far as I was aware at the time, I would never have any chance of actually playing there.

And in answer to the OP, no, clubs do not pay for this coverage...

D

Deleted member 1740

This pretty much sums up our view on it and as I've said before in the magazine, when Loch Lomond first opened long before I joined the mag, I wanted to know everything about it even though, as far as I was aware at the time, I would never have any chance of actually playing there.

And in answer to the OP, no, clubs do not pay for this coverage...

Jezz, thanks for your reasoning on this although I don't agree with it!

As a subscriber to the mag, I see no point in reading about somewhere I cannot play money being no object.

Just my opinion of course though I'm never wrong... :whistle:

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Jezz, thanks for your reasoning on this although I don't agree with it!

As a subscriber to the mag, I see no point in reading about somewhere I cannot play money being no object.

Just my opinion of course though I'm never wrong... :whistle:

No problem - we are allowed to disagree!

I do understand why some might take that view, but on top of what I've already said, I would just add that while a considerable percentage of the magazine always has, and always will be, practical, just occasionally we will run something on the golf course front that is more aspirational.

Thankfully, there are relatively few courses in the UK whose doors remain shut to most, but I think the main reason we decided to go with Renaissance was the fact that they have just created three fabulous new links holes at a time when virtually no new links courses or holes are being created in the UK (Trump aside!). That in itself makes it suitably newsworthy.

scratch

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Jezz

I agree with those people that say if the man in the street can't play the course then it shouldn't be featured. There are 1000's of courses in UK&I so plenty to keep you guys busy for years to come.

Keep it real for Joe Average :thup:

D

Deleted member 1740

Jezz, when the piece was done did you or any of the GM staff play it?

Adi2Dassler

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you contact them you might find they informally adopt a more flexible approach.

This is true.If you know a member at Archerfield they have an informal agreement with Renaissance allowing a certain number of reciprocal rounds.That's how I've played it a few times.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Hirsel Golf Club were fortunate enough to be featured not so long ago after Jezz kindly offered us the chance.

I took his hand offer when offered.A great bit of free coverage.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Jezz

I agree with those people that say if the man in the street can't play the course then it shouldn't be featured. There are 1000's of courses in UK&I so plenty to keep you guys busy for years to come.

Keep it real for Joe Average :thup:

I don't agree. I'll never own (or drive) a Veyron but I'd expect to see one in a mag. I'll never play Augusta either but I expect to see that too.

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
I don't agree. I'll never own (or drive) a Veyron but I'd expect to see one in a mag. I'll never play Augusta either but I expect to see that too.

Yes, I guess we would have to stop writing about Augusta and countless US Open courses if you were to take things to that extreme...