course handicap calculation

Swango1980

Visit site
Any 8000 yard course is inherently more difficult to score on because it take more strokes to cover the distance. CR is about a scratch player who generally hits further, finds the fairway, can play out of bunkers and two putts. Obstacles (eg water, bunkers, rough) are all factored in for the few occasions they are encountered in relation to the proximity of the edges of the fairway.
When you say 'most'; from memory the 'average' handicapper is about 16 - 20 (approximating to a bogey player). They would find the 8000 a slog because they would have to play so many more shots, whether good, bad or indifferent. The obstacles above are factored it with a higher weighting for such a player because their increased likelihood of encountering them and their difficulty in handling them. Which is what Slope is.
Of course an 8000 yard course would have a far higher par than a 6000 yard course anyway.

I know we disagree but the above is aimed at those who missed it before.
Why are you bringing par into it? ;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Forget about "gets more/fewer shots".
Our handicap indexes put us all on a scale or number line.
Slope ratings above 113 stretch that scale out and below 113 the scale shrinks. The integrity of the relative differences between handicaps on that scale is maintained.
I don’t think I’ve heard or read it described in this way, and it’s an excellent way of explaining and visualising it.

I think of SR (of a course) as literally describing the course in terms of the steepness of a hill and someone walking at a steady pace up it. As the walker climbs the hill they gain height - the longer they walk at the steady pace up the hill the more height they will gain; the steeper the hill, walking at the same steady pace, the quicker the height gain. In this way walking for a fixed time period (the time being a players HI) the height gained (shots) in that time increases for a steeper hill (Slope rating).

CR, in hill terms that’s kinda like how much height you have ‘gained’ from your walk start point before you reach the bottom of the hill and is the same for everyone. +handicappers start closer to the bottom of the hill and so their height gain to the bottom of the hill is less. Higher the +ve handicap the closer to the bottom of the hill they start and less initiall height gain.

(Analogy works better for SR than CR, so i tend to just use it for SR)

Last edited: