course handicap calculation

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
why would you round it to one decimal place and then round it again to a whole number? just round it to the whole number, its simple.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
why would you round it to one decimal place and then round it again to a whole number? just round it to the whole number, its simple.
You don't. You round to one decimal place then work out the playing handicap, except for Eng, Wales & Ireland who decided to deviate from the RoW

wjemather

Visit site
You don't. You round to one decimal place then work out the playing handicap, except for Eng, Wales & Ireland who decided to deviate from the RoW
Unsurprisingly, given who is saying it, this is incorrect.

For the sake of sanity...

The basic rules relating to Course Handicap and it's calculation are the same everywhere (except Australia, because they just have a Daily Handicap); the calculation itself differs in GB&I in that "Course Rating - Par" is not included. Almost all WHS manuals around the world (Australia and Argentina being a couple of exceptions) contain the following in Rule 6.1:

The calculated 18-hole and 9-hole Course Handicap is rounded to the nearest whole number, with .5 rounded upwards, for the purpose of:
• Applying adjustments for maximum hole score (see Rule 3.1) and when a hole is not played (see Rule 3.2).
• Where applicable, calculating a Score Differential.
Otherwise, the full calculated value is retained and rounding occurs only after the Playing Handicap calculation.

In other words, Course Handicap is an exact unrounded number. It is given as its rounded integer value for most purposes because golf is not played in fractions of a stroke - this is the same everywhere. CONGU's guidance (for all of GB&I) clarifies that the rounded integer value of the Course Handicap is the requirement on the scorecard.

For the Playing Handicap calculations: in England, Wales and Ireland the rounded integer value is used, unlike (probably) everywhere else in the world where the full unrounded value is used. In Scotland, 3 decimal places are used as this is the minimum accuracy needed to avoid compound rounding errors (per Appendix I of the guidance).

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I would say so yes, and it means the handicap calculation boards at courses are corect for you, but not in Scotland
Surely, those (handicap calculation boards) in Scotland are correct for play in Scotland, just as those in England are correct for play in England. The fact that might result in a different number is beside the point.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Unsurprisingly, given who is saying it, this is incorrect.

For the sake of sanity...

{{{.......and the admission you are WRONG........}}}

For the Playing Handicap calculations: in England, Wales and Ireland the rounded integer value is used, unlike (probably) everywhere else in the world where the full unrounded value is used. In Scotland, 3 decimal places are used as this is the minimum accuracy needed to avoid compound rounding errors (per Appendix I of the guidance).

Wow

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Apologies,, I've said it's correct, what I meant was this bit is correct

For example, using the above example where the golfer has a Course Handicap of 13.5 and playing a competition with a 95% handicap allowance, the calculation for Playing Handicap would be:
13.4867256637 x 0.95 = 12.8123893805

However the part above that says his course handicap would be 13, that is not the case as the course handicap isn't rounded before calculating the playing handicap, but if you were to *only* use the course marker boards, they are all showing rounded course handicap figures at every course I've been to, because those figures were what was supplied by SG themselves. It has been an almighty cock-up by Scottish Golf

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

For example, using the above example where the golfer has a Course Handicap of 13.5 and playing a competition with a 95% handicap allowance, the calculation for Playing Handicap would be:

However the part above that says his course handicap would be 13, that is not the case as the course handicap isn't rounded before calculating the playing handicap, but if you were to *only* use the course marker boards, they are all showing rounded course handicap figures at every course I've been to, because those figures were what was supplied by SG themselves. It has been an almighty cock-up by Scottish Golf
Plenty of other issues with that document!
FWIW, England Wales and Ireland uses Rounded CH, whele Scotlnd uses unrounded CH to calc PH. As I'm in England, it's what EG does that's importnt to me.
You should point out the deficiencies of that doc to SG - rather than just moaning about it (to folk to whom it's irrelevant)!

wjemather

Visit site

Course Handicap is given as an integer, both for handicapping purposes and what is needed on the scorecard (Rule 3.3b (4)/1). As such, the boards are correct and provide all the information that is needed.

Players should not be calculating Playing Handicaps manually - there are apps and other lookup charts for this - so should never have any requirement to know the exact unrounded Course Handicap. Anyone wanting boards with Course Handicaps to 10 decimal places (e.g. 13.4867256637) on them, is completely missing the point.

Last edited:

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Players should not be calculating Playing Handicaps manually - there are apps and other lookup charts for this - so should never have any requirement to know the exact unrounded Course Handicap.

The majority of golf I play is casual 4BBB matchplay, as such we DO need to calculate the (90%) Playing Handicaps on the 1st tee. I don't know of any convenient App or table (in Scotland) that would allow us do avoid doing it by hand.
(The SG App only gives the calculation for stroke play (95%) )

I'll be delighted if someone could point me to one.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The majority of golf I play is casual 4BBB matchplay, as such we DO need to calculate the (90%) Playing Handicaps on the 1st tee. I don't know of any convenient App or table (in Scotland) that would allow us do avoid doing it by hand.
(The SG App only gives the calculation for stroke play (95%) )

I'll be delighted if someone could point me to one.
It's the sort of thing that SHOULD be available either in Pro Shop/Clubhouse or 1st Tee.
Should be a quite simple task for anyone with a bit of spreadsheet knowledge, even if not as an App.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's the sort of thing that SHOULD be available either in Pro Shop/Clubhouse or 1st Tee.
Should be a quite simple task for anyone with a bit of spreadsheet knowledge, even if not as an App.

Indeed maybe there SHOULD be more charts on the walls but there are not in any club I've seen.

I did a spreadsheet for our Winter Turnup which, being better-ball stableford, needs an 85% multiplier, and since it is a mixed turn up from a choice of gender neutral tees the fun just gets better from there....:).