Course design you dislike.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played a new course today and it had multiple holes with a feature I truly detest.

Blind tee shots.
They artificially make a course seem harder than it is... until you’ve played it a few times. But then what’s the point? Worst thing is, I honestly don’t believe it added to any hole that had blind tee shots.

Any other irks?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played a new course today and it had multiple holes with a feature I truly detest.

Blind tee shots.
They artificially make a course seem harder than it is... until you’ve played it a few times. But then what’s the point? Worst thing is, I honestly don’t believe it added to any hole that had blind tee shots.

Any other irks?

Really hate these on a course I've never played. I've played places like Bude & North Cornwall and gone straight over the marker and never found it as it cambers right to left and clearly took a kick on landing. More annoying is any course planner never seems to give a newbie any salient advice on the best line and any potential flaws.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Blind shots anytime.
How are you supposed to visualise a shot if you can’t see your target?
Ditches that run across fairways that are not identified.
Bunkers in the middle of the fairway , 2nd at West Lancs.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Trees in the fairway. If I hit the fairway I shouldn’t have a tree in front of me.

Greens shaped so that you need to hit a wedge if you’re in the wrong position. I don’t want to play that shot, neither do the club.

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Really hate these on a course I've never played. I've played places like Bude & North Cornwall and gone straight over the marker and never found it as it cambers right to left and clearly took a kick on landing. More annoying is any course planner never seems to give a newbie any salient advice on the best line and any potential flaws.

Ha, interesting you mention this course Homer. I played it last week while on holiday, and as it was my first links experience I was both looking forward to it but also a little anxious as it wasn’t clear where i was going and was grateful to follow a 4 ball even though it slowed me up.

I enjoyed the experience overall but I found it frustrating the number of blind shots I needed and although the course was in great condition it was hard to tell where I needed to aim at times with fairways merging into rough less obviously than I’m used to. I could have squeezed another round in but didn’t have the yearning to go back. Is this a typical links course? If so I fear links may not be for me!

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good post ?, got me thinking ?.

Blind tee shots I'm fine with, as I say, it's only blind once...

Par 3s though, I really don't like a par 3 where you can't hit an iron. Any decent par 3 doesn't need to be over about 140 - 150.
And, as above, blind shots to greens. I think we should be able to see where the ball lands and what it does.

Agree with the par 3s, I also dislike long par 3s they are generally boring holes, rather have a harder tricky short par 3.