Course closures

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We've been open one day this week, Sunday, which is the only day I never play due to family stuff:rolleyes:

Hoping it will be open tomorrow as things seem to be warming up slowly, due to get up to the giddy heights of 4 degrees this afternoon. However -2 forecast for overnight, so the chances are probably 50-50 at best.

so much for it warming up yesterday. Heavy frost overnight, course closed again :cautious:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
All ours will be closed all weekend I suspect. Ground frozen solid and the dusting of snow earlier in the week hasn't been able to thaw.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Course Open. Frozen conditions. Temporary greens. Holes 1-9, 12-14, 17 and 18 in play.

Trolleys will be allowed but carrying preferred. Same as last couple of days. I’ll maybe go for a walk with a few sticks and balls later on. Someone wants to join me that’s fine but I won’t be bothering with putting.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Status has been the same for 10 days now....Open, Carry only
We have freezing fog at the moment so I doubt anyone is out there....

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
18 holes open and gradually moving from temps to greens on a green-by-green basis, with head greenie checking each carefully as he wants to avoid root shear.

Last edited:

Jason.H

Visit site
Woodhall Spa is closed this weekend to prevent root shear. Excellent decision. I want the course I’d top shape during the “season” and regulating play in winter is a way to ensure that.

Our club opened up ASAP. The surface was thawed but still frozen underneath. Time will tell how root shear affects our greens

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
All bar 1 on normal greens today..1 still partly frozen.
And they got a cut too.....
Should be back to normal tomorrow.
Huzzah!

Golfnut1957

Visit site
The course has been open for a couple of weeks now, 18 holes, 18 greens, but when we played today we found a significant all around improvement. Everything has firmed up and as a consequence the fairways and greens have all been cut.

Not everything is rosy though. The firmer, newly cut greens resulted in significantly faster greens which I struggled to come to terms with. I was woeful.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Today we were informed that our summer course was being opened, but off the winter tees. This means that two holes and two greens that lie at the bottom of the course are dry enough to play, they have been for weeks. It also means that qualifying cards can't be submitted as the course, utilising winter tees, is not measured.

So today's round was the real deal on the full course and most enjoyable.

In the bar afterwards we were told that someone from comps had been onto England Golf informing them of the move and as a consequence the club have been told to either utilise the summer tees with the full course or revert to the shorter, but measured winter course, thus enabling the submission of qualifying cards. The club is not going to open the tees as they don't want wear which won't grow back yet, so rather disappointingly it's back to the short course.

You can guarantee that the intrigue is not yet over.

sunshine

Visit site
Today we were informed that our summer course was being opened, but off the winter tees. This means that two holes and two greens that lie at the bottom of the course are dry enough to play, they have been for weeks. It also means that qualifying cards can't be submitted as the course, utilising winter tees, is not measured.

So today's round was the real deal on the full course and most enjoyable.

In the bar afterwards we were told that someone from comps had been onto England Golf informing them of the move and as a consequence the club have been told to either utilise the summer tees with the full course or revert to the shorter, but measured winter course, thus enabling the submission of qualifying cards. The club is not going to open the tees as they don't want wear which won't grow back yet, so rather disappointingly it's back to the short course.

You can guarantee that the intrigue is not yet over.

Surely you can do what you want?. The club doesn’t need to obey England golf.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Surely you can do what you want?. The club doesn’t need to obey England golf.
This. I believe that there is a bit of in-fighting going on. The Greens chair was our source and he wants the full course open. We believe that it is the bloke with the responsibility for WHS who threw the spanner in the works and in the short term we are back on a winter (measured) course. Midterm there may be a change before spring. Long term greens has told the club that they have to make arrangements for a winter tee, measured full course for next winter.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Thing about all the rain we’ve had is that it’s really tested to breaking point the major landscaping on three holes we’ve done over the last three months that has been done primarily to better manage rainfall and water runoff from adjacent fields.

In a couple of respects it broke what we’ve done, but we now know what needs tweaking, plus we know 100% where we need to build the bridges and/or causeways that were always envisaged - and how long they need to be 🙄

What has been really encouraging is how areas of fairway on four holes that previously became flooded or very wet and unplayable in periods of very significant rainfall, remained basically dry and perfectly playable; that water built up mostly in specific ‘water holding’ areas as planned and that it flowed from one area to another also as planned, and then how quickly water has drained and levels fallen since the rains stopped a week ago.

All being well the landscaping and returfing will be bedded in and ready for play by mid-late March. Looking forward to playing especially our remodelled 14th, where we have made very significant changes to the last 120yds of approach, also now protected by four brand new bunkers.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Played today, it wasn't closed, but!

No rain for weeks and the course has been superb, then along comes a couple of rainy days, nothing drastic just light drizzle and what a contrast. Summer can't come quick enough.