Course closures

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We walked off after 5 holes last night. The 1st, 3rd and 5th green all had standing water on them by that point. Wind was probably 15-20mph and the rain was coming sideways so low that it got under my brolly and soaked through my trousers. Had to stick my waterproofs on in the middle of the 5th fairway. Was really surprised to see the message this morning that the course is open, it's going to be very wet. I suppose they are probably feeling they need to open it since it's been closed for 3 days in the last 2 weeks so far.

More showers forecast today, tomorrow and heavy rain Saturday. I'm not convinced the Club Championship will go ahead on Sunday, I'm not sure they can get the greens cut with how wet they were last night and all the rain forecast before Sunday again. Was rained off 2 weeks ago as well.

Maybe if it actually stopped raining at some point. It's rained every day for 3 weeks now and it looks like we are getting it till next Thursday as well.
It wasn’t too bad this morning. No standing water but the greens were a bit spongey.

A few wet patches in the usual places (5th, 13th and 14th), but have seen it a lot worse in the past.

That said, there is no way they can give the greens a cut, and the forecast for Saturday is grim, so you are probably right about Sunday.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We're open but, looking at the rain radar, I pity anyone outside around here between 12.15 and 2........
Let's say there will be no water shortage here.... :oops:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Dry and calm here at the moment in West Yorkshire. Given all the hysteria about storm Aardvark or whatever it's called, I didn't even contemplate arranging anything for today - spose I can put some washing in at least..

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Both courses closed all day but likely to be grand tomorrow. When you have torrential rain over a sustained amount of hours. Not many courses can be in tip top condition. I'm glad they closed for the day as it means it gets a bit of peace to recover.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Another white tee Board comp today.
Another washout.
The course is open, but I imagine the greens will flood as it's chucking it down.
I didn't even think about playing today after getting soaked on Wednesday.

Springveldt

Visit site
@rudebhoy and I took the executive decision to cancel our game today last night. An alert came through at 10.52 this morning advising the course had been closed, comp cancelled.

Good decision last night 👍
Just hoping it dries out a bit for tomorrow somehow. Forecast to be no rain from 8pm tonight so maybe it will dry out enough overnight.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
@rudebhoy and I took the executive decision to cancel our game today last night. An alert came through at 10.52 this morning advising the course had been closed, comp cancelled.

Good decision last night 👍
2nd time in the last couple of weeks the Saturday comp has had to be abandoned partway through.

Feel sorry for those who braved the weather. Club was in a no-win situation, course was playable first thing but with heavy rain forecast. Can imagine the flak they would have got if they cancelled then the rain didn’t materialise.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was our Captain's Day today, course closed, it will have cost the poor chap a few quid ans he will have ordered about 100 pies from the local bakery

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
2nd time in the last couple of weeks the Saturday comp has had to be abandoned partway through.

Feel sorry for those who braved the weather. Club was in a no-win situation, course was playable first thing but with heavy rain forecast. Can imagine the flak they would have got if they cancelled then the rain didn’t materialise.
As you say the Club is in a no-win situation.... hard decisions to make. As we head up tomorrow to the first 2 days of Seaton's Festival week, I saw on Twitter that Branspeth Castle has cancelled their Sat Open.... & that, as the best parkland course in the county, would have been fully booked & a sad loss to the Club. Ruddy rediculous English Summer weather. Happy to be playing at all but I must say that a soggy Seaton on Sunday off the Whites with no run is going to be a pretty severe challenge. Thank god there's not too much wind forecast & I've got a big hitter as my partner. ⛳ 🏌️‍♂️

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Over two hour drive to watch the legends at JCB today.
Arrived at 9, three hours of wandering around in the rain before they abandoned play without watching a single shot.

D-S

Visit site
Its been pretty wet here in Bristol lately but no closures as far as I know and no requests for Preferred lies. Courses are playing long though - we had a big Open Better Ball comp yesterday with 82 pairs playing and it was won with 39 points (par 70, Slope 129, CR 71.6). Lowest I've ever known.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its been pretty wet here in Bristol lately but no closures as far as I know and no requests for Preferred lies. Courses are playing long though - we had a big Open Better Ball comp yesterday with 82 pairs playing and it was won with 39 points (par 70, Slope 129, CR 71.6). Lowest I've ever known.

We had a PCC of 1 yesterday only 4 players level par or better.
Funny thing for me I was one of them and it the first time I have finished under par in nearly a year.