Course closures

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We have had a hosepipe ban for a few weeks now. Laughable considering the amount of rain we have had recently. The biggest issue in the south has been the incessant strong winds during the last couple of months.
I think wind burn has seriously affected a mature chestnut on our 14th…foliage looks very sad and a lot of ‘drop’. Will recover next year all being well.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A true Chestnut? Or a Horse Chestnut? (ie a conker tree). If the latter, more likely to be a fungal disease called Guignardia. Or possibly Horse Chestnut leaf miner.
Think it might be a true chestnut as I don‘t recall loads of cookers being dropped onto the fairway or in the semi (it’s in the semi). Plus it does have v long catkins.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Think it might be a true chestnut as I don‘t recall loads of cookers being dropped onto the fairway or in the semi (it’s in the semi). Plus it does have v long catkins.
Sounds like you don't want to play Farnham..Zanussis, Bekos , Agas....all over the place.....

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My course is open today but courses in the borders that I follow are shut. The water table is so high at the moment it doesn't take much to push courses over the edge.
Course was closed on Monday after a downpour on Sunday night. We were due to play yesterday, but were convinced we would be shut again after it tipped it down again most of Monday.

Was surprised to get the message that the course was open, and even more surprised to find the course in decent nick with very little sign of water.

Down to play early tomorrow. Fingers crossed after yet another wet day today.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I've just got back from walking the dog where we finished off with an amble around the course. I often see deer on the course however today it was dolphins, lovely they were.

In all seriousness the course was in surprisingly good nick considering. Puddles on a few of the greens and fairways, the bunkers are flooded but the streams and ponds aren't spilling over. I would take a punt and say that it could be open tomorrow which would be a miracle considering that it has been raining since 6 pm last night and isn't forecast to finish until 4 am tomorrow. We also have rain forecast for tomorrow afternoon, light rain Friday and biblical monsoon stuff on Saturday.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Ours was shut. Not surprised really, was a bit soft underfoot yesterday. Should probably keep it shut tomorrow, but dare say it will be open.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Should have been been playing in an open at Moor Allerton today but that course is closed :(
That's unlucky Louise...... but we're just a few 100yds from there & 'never shut'..... but we are today!!
I've got 8 of us up to Seaton Carew this Sun & Mon for their Festival Week & given the forecast for the next few days its likely we'll be at one of the few courses open & worth playing for the next week or so.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's unlucky Louise...... but we're just a few 100yds from there & 'never shut'..... but we are today!!
I've got 8 of us up to Seaton Carew this Sun & Mon for their Festival Week & given the forecast for the next few days its likely we'll be at one of the few courses open & worth playing for the next week or so.
I am at St Andrews next week so should be ok too

Springveldt

Visit site
Course was closed on Monday after a downpour on Sunday night. We were due to play yesterday, but were convinced we would be shut again after it tipped it down again most of Monday.

Was surprised to get the message that the course was open, and even more surprised to find the course in decent nick with very little sign of water.

Down to play early tomorrow. Fingers crossed after yet another wet day today.
We walked off after 5 holes last night. The 1st, 3rd and 5th green all had standing water on them by that point. Wind was probably 15-20mph and the rain was coming sideways so low that it got under my brolly and soaked through my trousers. Had to stick my waterproofs on in the middle of the 5th fairway. Was really surprised to see the message this morning that the course is open, it's going to be very wet. I suppose they are probably feeling they need to open it since it's been closed for 3 days in the last 2 weeks so far.

More showers forecast today, tomorrow and heavy rain Saturday. I'm not convinced the Club Championship will go ahead on Sunday, I'm not sure they can get the greens cut with how wet they were last night and all the rain forecast before Sunday again. Was rained off 2 weeks ago as well.
I'm amazed that courses are closed in August.

Sure, a course can become unplayable during a deluge, but after a couple of hours it should be ok?
Maybe if it actually stopped raining at some point. It's rained every day for 3 weeks now and it looks like we are getting it till next Thursday as well.