Course closures

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Very cold today in N Leeds but good to see that many of the fairways have been cut. Just need a bit of warmth for the greens to pick up.
Maybe the thread title should be changed to "the course is now open but it's so cold we wish it wasn't".

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Time to revive an old favourite?

The rain is biblical up here, ours is now closed as are all the other parkland courses and only the links remain open, although I'm willing to bet a pound to a pinch of pig poo that they are empty.

I've just checked the Lancashire courses that we are visiting next month, Silverdale is closed, Kendal is open amazingly as is Burnley, however it states on their website that they are on temps as they had 330 mm of rain in July, the most since 2009.

I'm going to take the dog for a decent walk in a bit rain or no rain.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site

The rain is biblical up here, ours is now closed as are all the other parkland courses and only the links remain open, although I'm willing to bet a pound to a pinch of pig poo that they are empty.

I've just checked the Lancashire courses that we are visiting next month, Silverdale is closed, Kendal is open amazingly as is Burnley, however it states on their website that they are on temps as they had 330 mm of rain in July, the most since 2009.

4 days before my trip up to the Cumbria border, ahead of Silloth's pairs open next Wednesday. Brilliant! 😡😡😡🤣

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My club closed for a couple of hours this morning. Reopen again now - but I've just never heard of a club having to close in August before. o_O

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Our main course is closed, handy as I’m refurbishing the ladies locker room, so don’t have to keep redirecting people to the disabled toilet. 👍

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I think I saw in the news this week that Preston had just over 300% of its usual July rainfall this July. The NW, Lancashire in particular, has had it bad.

My course is open today but courses in the borders that I follow are shut. The water table is so high at the moment it doesn't take much to push courses over the edge.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My club closed for a couple of hours this morning. Reopen again now - but I've just never heard of a club having to close in August before. o_O

Ours is closed every August but to host a local pga comp lol but last August they did close .. but mainly because the police made us as the town next door was on fire with the heat wave .. drained our lake to put it out lol

sunshine

Visit site
I'm amazed that courses are closed in August.

Sure, a course can become unplayable during a deluge, but after a couple of hours it should be ok?

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
North West here between Burnley and Skipton, I don't think there has been a day in the last six weeks where it has not rained at some point, not too unusual but not in July, Course closed this morning Summer League cancelled, never mind wasn't really looking forward to playing.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I'm amazed that courses are closed in August.

Sure, a course can become unplayable during a deluge, but after a couple of hours it should be ok?
You are right, after a couple of hours it would open. We just need the deluge to stop first and that isn't happening. According to the forecast we get two days without rain at the back of next week.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You won't be quite so smug when the annual hosepipe ban kicks in down south ;) . Our rivers and reservoirs are filling up nicely. (yeah, okay, I'm scraping the barrel here)
We have had a hosepipe ban for a few weeks now. Laughable considering the amount of rain we have had recently. The biggest issue in the south has been the incessant strong winds during the last couple of months.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
We have had a hosepipe ban for a few weeks now. Laughable considering the amount of rain we have had recently. The biggest issue in the south has been the incessant strong winds during the last couple of months.
Water falling from the sky fills rivers, ponds and reservoirs. Water for houses and outdoor standpipes comes from water treatment plants and there aren't enough of those to provide enough water across the network when demand trebles or quadruples. Add the leaking pipework to the mix and it's no wonder we get hosepipe bans.
Sadly, until we fix the network, it will continue to happen.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Currently absolutely tipping it down in Surrey…course open and v unlikely to be closed, but as quick as our greens do drain, like every green everywhere they do get temporarily flooded in rain such as this.