County fee ?

User20204

Visit site
Does anyone know if the county fee is compulsory, and I'm referring to Scotland only. I believe woman do not have to pay but don't know if men "have" to, also, what sanctions could be had if one refused to pay it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do not know.

I would have thought that one of the sanctions would be that you would no longer have an 'official' handicap and therefore could not compete in any competitions. Also bear in mind that when the WHS comes in the handicaps will become the responsibility of the Unions to administer and not the clubs.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Interesting question.... I know a guy who used to moan it was only used for the County Squad to stay in hotels and drink and therefore he objected! Clubs all seem to collect one net figure.... I wonder what would happen if you only paid the sub and not the Country Levy?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
It may depend on the policy at your club, some will insist it is paid whether or not the member wishes to have a handicap. But as indicated if you don't pay it, then you are not entitled to a CONGU handicap.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I do not know.

I would have thought that one of the sanctions would be that you would no longer have an 'official' handicap and therefore could not compete in any competitions. Also bear in mind that when the WHS comes in the handicaps will become the responsibility of the Unions to administer and not the clubs.

Is that not held by the National Golf Union and not the county? I genuinely do not know the answer but obviously you wouldn't be able to play in any County Championships, Spring/Autumn meets etc. I agree it pays for jollies and allows people to feel important.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Interesting question.... I know a guy who used to moan it was only used for the County Squad to stay in hotels and drink and therefore he objected! Clubs all seem to collect one net figure.... I wonder what would happen if you only paid the sub and not the Country Levy?
most of it is supposed to go to Junior golf, so those little buggers better not be getting pissed on my £15.40:ROFLMAO:

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Is that not held by the National Golf Union and not the county? I genuinely do not know the answer but obviously you wouldn't be able to play in any County Championships, Spring/Autumn meets etc. I agree it pays for jollies and allows people to feel important.

It may be different in Scotland, but in England, England Golf and the County Unions have responsibilities within the administrative structure of handicaps.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It may be different in Scotland, but in England, England Golf and the County Unions have responsibilities within the administrative structure of handicaps.

You are probably right as I genuinely do not know. Personally I think the County Golf Unions are a drain on the game.

User20204

Visit site
I do not know.

Scottish Golf run that in Scotland I believe so I don't see how it can effect my handicap if I don't pay the county fee.

I personally don't see any benefit to the ordinary golfer just the elite getting a free jolly.

D

Deleted member 23270

QUOTE="Jacko_G, post: 2115595, member: 20929"]You are probably right as I genuinely do not know. Personally I think the County Golf Unions are a drain on the game.[/QUOTE]
I don't know what happens in Scotland but in England they are well worth the money. My county does a lot for junior golf and we have some promising youngsters making an impact at national level.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In Dorset the county gives the club good back up for all things handicap related. It runs quite a number of events open to a lot of club members and other national events, it supplies the referees for major events and probably a lot of stuff I know nothing about.

User20204

Visit site
The official answer from Scottish Golf is, if your club is a member of a county, then the fee is mandatory.

So you if you want to be a member of a golf club that is a member of a county then tough if you personally don'y want to be a member of the county.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
It may depend on the policy at your club, some will insist it is paid whether or not the member wishes to have a handicap. But as indicated if you don't pay it, then you are not entitled to a CONGU handicap.

It has nothing to do with club policy. If you are an affiliated club, you collect and pay for every member, irrespective of whether they have a handicap or not.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
It has nothing to do with club policy. If you are an affiliated club, you collect and pay for every member, irrespective of whether they have a handicap or not.
Sorry but that is not the case, both my current club and my old club have members who do not pay either the county union or Endland Golf subscription.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
So basically its just another drain/expense to golf to keep some people feeling important?
Not in my area as far as I'm concerned. Our national union provides advice guidance and resources to clubs on subjects such as health and safety growing the membership, incorporation, gandicapping etc. The also run competitions many of which are open to all. Our county provides coaching to juniors and competitions ranging from elite to open to all. Yes a good deal.of our subscription goes to elite golf, but who would provide this if it did not. They are democratic organisations so you can have an influence, if you choose to get involved.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Not in my area as far as I'm concerned. Our national union provides advice guidance and resources to clubs on subjects such as health and safety growing the membership, incorporation, gandicapping etc. The also run competitions many of which are open to all. Our county provides coaching to juniors and competitions ranging from elite to open to all. Yes a good deal.of our subscription goes to elite golf, but who would provide this if it did not. They are democratic organisations so you can have an influence, if you choose to get involved.

Surely the money you pay to the County Golf Union would be better utilised within your own club rather than being "spread" around other clubs in the area, minus the admin fees county fees and expenses to allow those people to feel important.

The club could use the money for improvements, junior coaching, development fund, prizes for opens, advertising, a better website etc etc.

Diamond

Visit site
Am I missing something or am I not getting discounted golf fees in England through my County Membership? Looking at Delamere which is £90 I can get a round in at £40 with County Membership. Job done surely.