Country & Western

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
At the risk of being called out for this thread, the wife and I went to a C&W weekend in Blackpool. Now some of the acts that were on were just ok but there were two stand out acts. A young girl called Kezia Gilll and a young lad called Jake Carter. Both were outstanding. I'm not a big fan of C&W but the wife is, and that's why I went really but it was a great weekend, so enjoyable that we've booked for next year already! One thing I'm always wary of when attending do's in hotels is beer prices but this was awesome. Beer at £2.20 a PINT, Guinness £2.50 a PINT and wine at £8.95 a bottle but buy three and get one free...so ending up at £6 a bottle! By the end of next years weekend we should be in profit!!!!!:thup:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
It gets better each time I go there. Millions have been spent on the sea front. Makes me wonder why a few tins of paint haven't been purchased and used on the piers and all the iron work.

TopOfTheFlop

Head Pro
Visit site
Big history with Blackpool and dance and it's still the home of the biggest competition of the year for us with people coming from all over the world.
I think the dance events throughout the year keep a consistent income for Blackpool as thousands of folks descend on there year upon year.
The above said competition has also just been sold to China and this year they staged the first Blackpool British Open in Shanghai, cost for the name for 5 years was in the millions and the good old Blackpool council own the rights so quids in. Let's hope they spend it back on the town.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
There's loads of stuff like this on......Magicians, pigeon fanciers, young farmers, the dance festival already mentioned, snooker etc. Like you said, each to their own!!

Mate of mine once came with the family and was staying at the Norbreck when an Elvis convention was on. Went up for a pint or two as hadn't seen him for a while, the convention ended next door and suddenly the bar was flooded with Elvis lookalikes. Young ones, old ones, fat ones, thin ones, some very sparkly ones etc. Very surreal after a few beers!!

Blackpool's ace. Yes, it has it's problems socially and economically like so many seaside towns but it can still pack 'em in better than most when it needs to.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Blackpool= Benidorm without the heat.:thup:

I think you're being a bit tough on Benidorm :smirk:

Blackpool is only good for Stags & Hen Parties IMO, it's as rough as old boots, unless you do a matinee show and then go back to your digs for a drink, venture out on the front at night at your peril!

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Blackpool's ace. Yes, it has it's problems socially and economically like so many seaside towns but it can still pack 'em in better than most when it needs to.

Totally agree. We're 40mins away and I never tire of the place. It is rough at times and the back streets are tired in places but its certainly got Character.

Tarkus1212

Challenge Tour Pro
www.johnogauntgolfclub.co.uk
I'll readily admit to enjoying a bit of C&W especially New Country, there are some great singer songwriters like Kasey Musgraves, Kasey Chambers and of course the delightful Taylor Swift. Give them a listen, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Quite enjoy a bit of C&W myself, Sugarland & Lady Antebellum of the newer bands. Some of the best written songs you'll ever find are country songs, simple lyrics & great stories, so good that you'll find a number of them have been nabbed by more popular artists without necessarily giving the original artists the credit they deserve. One former boy band member has done particularly well out of country music…..

[video=youtube;vTu6-o1dcLA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTu6-o1dcLA[/video]

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
And again……...

[video=youtube;RV-Z1YwaOiw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV-Z1YwaOiw[/video]

Guilty as charged Mr. Keating……..?

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Quite enjoy a bit of C&W myself, Sugarland & Lady Antebellum of the newer bands. Some of the best written songs you'll ever find are country songs, simple lyrics & great stories, so good that you'll find a number of them have been nabbed by more popular artists without necessarily giving the original artists the credit they deserve. One former boy band member has done particularly well out of country music…..

[video=youtube;vTu6-o1dcLA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTu6-o1dcLA[/video]

Should be renamed the singing never comes.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
As a huge fan of 1 particular singer/band - who is designated to be 'Country' for want of a more specific/accurate (Florida escapism?) classification - I appreciate some C&W sounds, but for much of the hum-drum tear-jerking stuff, I need to make sure I'm a long way from sharp things! :rolleyes:

Mark Knopfler has found his 'real' home in the C&W world! Speaking of which... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP8av7KSzEQ

As for Blackpool....Not a fan! 2 or 3 nice golf courses nearby though!

Last edited: