What Would You Do?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You charge someone to enter a supplementary card ?! Why ?

And you don’t “need” a rule at all - you do need to show “trust” in your members
I do believe that our Club provides good guidance to members & shows TRUST in them.... having clear Rules/Guidance is part of that. In the EG Annual Awards it has managed Runner-up in 2017's 'Most Welcoming Golf Club'...…... 2018's 'Golf Club of the Year', so must be getting a fair few things right. :):)

The Club decided to charge because maintaining 'c' status by entering Club Comps would cost £3 a Comp.... so why should someone be able to do so for nothing by simply submitting 3 Supps…. simple common-sense... especially here in Yarkshire ;);) ...... Hard to believe you'd allow the opportunity of maintaining 'c' for free... if you provide a Service then there need to be a charge

D

Deleted member 15344

I do believe that our Club provides good guidance to members & shows TRUST in them.... having clear Rules/Guidance is part of that. In the EG Annual Awards it has managed Runner-up in 2017's 'Most Welcoming Golf Club'...…... 2018's 'Golf Club of the Year', so must be getting a fair few things right. :):)

The Club decided to charge because maintaining 'c' status by entering Club Comps would cost £3 a Comp.... so why should someone be able to do so for nothing by simply submitting 3 Supps…. simple common-sense... especially here in Yarkshire ;);) ...... Hard to believe you'd allow the opportunity of maintaining 'c' for free... if you provide a Service then there need to be a charge

They pay their membership for the service of maintaining HCs - they pay Comp fees to pay for the winnings , trophies and vouchers.

I don’t recall EG , Congu or any governing body that says you need to pay to have a C status HC - that for me is really poor attitude

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
We pay for comps primarily because the entry fee goes towards the prize money up for grabs for each tournament. Paying to maintain a handicap via supplementarys seems a bit suspect to me.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They pay their membership for the service of maintaining HCs - they pay Comp fees to pay for the winnings , trophies and vouchers.

I don’t recall EG , Congu or any governing body that says you need to pay to have a C status HC - that for me is really poor attitude
I think you'll find that folk join Golf Clubs for many, many varying reasons.... to get & maintain a H/cap is but one. Folk enter Comps to maintain that H/cap & with a hope of some monetary reward... so it's grossly unfair that folk can utilise Supps to maintain it for free.... & IMO & our committee's, rather naïve to allow it. But then each Club will have their peculiarities.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Duncan what about getting back you "C" Status, as you already have a handicap as such don't you have to put in comp scores/supplementary scores to get that, so have to go through that process??
It's the opposite - you cant put supplemental cards in until you have a handicap? Once you do you can put them in whether the handicap is (c) or not.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
There seems to be nothing on the correct process on making a handicap "active" again. Of course I may be wrong. I tend to skim read things.
ALTERING THE STATUS OF A HANDICAP
26.3 A player whose status of handicap has under the provision of Clause 25.1 or Clause 25.3 not been marked as a ’Competition Handicap’ can regain a Competition Status Handicap by submitting 3 qualifying scores which could be 18 hole competitions, nine-hole competitions or Supplementary Scores. Each of these scores shall be entered in the player’s Handicap Record and shall adjust the Exact Handicap in accordance with the provisions of Clause 17 or Clause 22, as appropriate. Once the requisite returns have been entered into the player’s Handicap Record the Competition Status shall be re-instated subject to a review by the Handicap Committee as detailed in Clause 26.4 below.

26.4 is a sanity check around the principles of the annual review and is there to provide the handicap committee with both a basis for, and responsibility to, consider the handicap situation (which can be years apart from the last Q card etc)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I finally go for a handicap again it’s going to be about 8-10 years since I last had one.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Do I need to declare it even if it’s from a decade ago? Does it matter if you have played golf since that date or not? I have played a fair bit so have kept my eye in as to say...

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I finally go for a handicap again it’s going to be about 8-10 years since I last had one.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Do I need to declare it even if it’s from a decade ago? Does it matter if you have played golf since that date or not? I have played a fair bit so have kept my eye in as to say...
All golfing experience should be declared as well as your last Club, previous H/cap & CDH if you know it. (It can be discovered using the declared information should it still exist & would contain previous history) Would avoid you having a 2nd CDH. I presume you're still a member of a Club. Is that correct?

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I would say tell them everything and let them decide how relevant it is, then you've not held anything back.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Going back to the OP's suggestion that fired this all up reminded me of a similar comment, some 5 or 6 years ago, on the, un-moderated HDIDo Forum that lead to massive accusations, name calling, & general, protracted, harassment that eventually caused a very active group to leave.... many now on here, including the 'key-board demons' that caused it. :whistle::whistle:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

id be more surprised if you didn't and don't forget to mention you were scratch champion at your par 3:LOL: