Countback: How does it work

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I only ask because in our regular 3 ball with Imurg, CVG and myself, Imurg & me tied with 33 points each.

Imurg then says that he won on countback as he had a better back 9 than me.

But on the last hole I got down in 6 (2 shots, net 4) for 2 points, whilst Imurg lost his ball off the drive and had a big fat blob.

So as I won the last hole surely I beat him

Or is there something I am missing?

Fragger

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
On countback it is worked out on the whole of the back 9 so you could have scored 4 points on the last hole but if you had only scored 16 in total and your opponent had scored 17 you lose. Sad I know but it's supposed to reward the golfer who has had the better homeward stretch.
If both players are tied on the back 9 as well it will then be decided on the best back 6. If still a tie, the best back 3.
Does it make sense??
;)

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
On countback it is worked out on the whole of the back 9 so you could have scored 4 points on the last hole but if you had only scored 16 in total and your opponent had scored 17 you lose. Sad I know but it's supposed to reward the golfer who has had the better homeward stretch.
If both players are tied on the back 9 as well it will then be decided on the best back 6. If still a tie, the best back 3.
Does it make sense??
;)

Furthermore, if the back 9's are identical it goes on front 6, front 3, 1st, then God knows..... a tie I suppose. Saw one go to the front 3 a few weeks ago in a medal but that was really exceptional, never seen one go to the front 9 before.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
There is no set rule for deciding the result when two or more players tie, it is down to your clubs competetion rules. At ours, ties are decided as described above though in matches with mates we would accept a draw.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Its nice when countback goes in your favour for a change!

The lost ball on 18 was a real Osama! We knew almost certainly that it had gone in this small patch of rough about 20 yards x 10 but could we find the little bleeder? COuld we 'eck!

Still - a win's a win!!

Notice you didn't mention your 2 monster drives of 43 and 16 yards respectively today....................

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
If it a tie through each of those, it is a toss of the coin. The countback method is arbitrary, but essentially random.

How the hell is it random, the person who played better on the back nine wins

Notice you didn't mention your 2 monster drives of 43 and 16 yards respectively today....................

lol

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site

So Imurg had to rely on countback to beat a bloke who had a bag day with his driver. Shame on you
:D

It will be interesting to see what happens when it all comes together

Fragger

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

So Imurg had to rely on countback to beat a bloke who had a bag day with his driver. Shame on you
:D

It will be interesting to see what happens when it all comes together

Fragger

So my driving was working was it?

Take it like a Man - you steaming great Ping Whore! :D

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it a tie through each of those, it is a toss of the coin. The countback method is arbitrary, but essentially random.

How the hell is it random, the person who played better on the back nine wins

It is random in a statistical sense, defined as: Governed by or involving equal chances for each of the actual or hypothetical members of a population.

The decision is essentially based on chance by being based on one characteristic, not necessarily an important one, to split the tie.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Countback is a terrible way of deciding who wins a competition ; i suggest that if it is a full handicap competition, then the player with the lower handicap wins; that way the person who actually played the better golf once handicaps have been used is the winner. Which seems at least a sensible way of deciding who wins a sporting competition .

Cue whole rake of vitriol from the high hanidcappers (who win far too many competitions anyway..........)

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Countback is a terrible way of deciding who wins a competition ; i suggest that if it is a full handicap competition, then the player with the lower handicap wins; that way the person who actually played the better golf once handicaps have been used is the winner. Which seems at least a sensible way of deciding who wins a sporting competition .

Cue whole rake of vitriol from the high hanidcappers (who win far too many competitions anyway..........)

I'd go for that :D Still have the situation where players are off the same h'cap. At our course the back 9 is a fair bit easier and with half handicap it really favours the high handicappers who tend to lose more than half their shots on the front 9. Bottom line is that you have to decide some way and this is as good as any.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

As I high handicapper of off 5 I have to disagree.....low handicappers always have the advantage over high handicappers in medal, and pretty much in match play - Stableford is a whole different kettle of fish though.....

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I hate countback and think it should only be done from the last hole played... and backwards from there. He who finishes strongest should win in my opinion... isn't that what happens in playoff holes?

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always come off worst in countback scenarios for some reason. Lost again this weekend in the medal. Had a nett 69 for a 0.3 cut but came 2nd on cb to a 16 h/c who for some reason was in div1. I guess our div 1 must go from 18 and below...load of old cobblers afaic