Cost of lessons

two-clubs

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Went to a local range yesterday (Long Lane in Croydon) with my son who has decided he would like to play golf, probably as a result of my starting again - happy days :)

After we had finished on the range I asked about the cost of lessons and was handed a leaflet, prices didn't seem too bad but not particularly cheap at £23 for 30 minutes or £125 for 6 with an extra lesson included, obviously a better deal at about £18 per 30 mins. I've just had a good read of the leaflet and noticed if you want to include technology, video, trackman etc it's an extra £10 and also the cost of range balls is extra! I would have thought all that was inclusive.

Is that usual?

Last edited:

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
For a beginner I definitely wouldn't worry about having videos, trackman etc. involved. I'd expect the cost of balls to be included though. Otherwise the lesson on its own doesn't make any sense without any balls!

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I used to get a bucket of balls to warm up with, then the lesson then a bucket of balls to practice with. My lessons were £25.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
If you're Croydon way, try James Marshall at The Addington. He's just left Westerham and used to run great sessions for kids.

two-clubs

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For a beginner I definitely wouldn't worry about having videos, trackman etc. involved. I'd expect the cost of balls to be included though. Otherwise the lesson on its own doesn't make any sense without any balls!

That was my exact thoughts.

My son isn't a total beginner but he still has a long way to go yet. I sort of assumed that trackman etc would be used as a teaching aid rather than an optional extra.

If you're Croydon way, try James Marshall at The Addington. He's just left Westerham and used to run great sessions for kids.

Just up the road from me, do on course pro's offer lessons to non members?

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It makes sense to me for lessons to be more expensive with trackman - as it means they are cheaper without the technology. Video etc. is really only for finer tuning and is the last thing you want to be worrying about when starting out.

As has been said, have a look into group lessons as these will be just as effective for cheaper. Also yes, from my experience pros at courses have no problem teaching non-members.

TheDashingBlade

Club Champion
Visit site
Paid 32 quid plus balls for half an hour with the head coach at a local range a few weeks ago.

Very expensive for an average lesson with a humourless pro devoid of social skills. I think smiles were an optional extra.

m9wst

Head Pro
Visit site
£20 for 30 mins or £30 for an hour, video analysis and balls inclusive at my local range. No trackman though, would like to have a decent session on one just to get a better idea of yardages etc.

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure if BGL have a course in your area but they do 2 x free 1 hour group lessons

http://www.bglgolf.co.uk/learngolf-free

At the one near me (Thornbury) you then get 4 individual lessons for £50 at the end of the 2 free lessons if you want them - not sure if they are 30 mins or an hour but even if 30 mins it's decent value I think.