Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Txt from wife. She works in a school that's shut

Her mum's is open

Yeah mums schools is gonna do 10 kids a class for reception year 1 and 6 if they have to go back
So instead of 9 classes it’ll be 27classes and no set learning more a child care base like it is not as it won’t be there teachers

sunshine

Visit site
To make it crystal clear

Calling someone or referring to someone as a witch is completely out of order and sanctions will be taken against anyone using that term.

Other terms like witch-hunt are ok if used in context

End of discussion, let’s move on please

Just for clarification, what are you wearing in your avatar photo? You're not dressed as a witch by any chance? ;):LOL::LOL:

Wolf

Visit site

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Clusters reappearing in Wuhan.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-china-wuhan-idUSKBN22N24F

How are they going to test 11million in 10 days, that is some processing from get it from the people, to performing the actual lab test.

Come on UK up your game.
Don't have an opinion either way on the testing, but if a population 1/6 the size of the UK is put under house arrest for 6 weeks (or whatever it was) and they still can't get rid of it, then I wonder what plan B is.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Txt from wife. She works in a school that's shut

Her mum's is open

Yeah mums schools is gonna do 10 kids a class for reception year 1 and 6 if they have to go back
So instead of 9 classes it’ll be 27classes and no set learning more a child care base like it is not as it won’t be there teachers
Yes so they need three times the classrooms and teachers.
That’s ok while it’s just two years in school.
But it’s fitting year 2/3/4/5 in where are they going to go.
I think they will not go back any time soon.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I get why we must get back to work if we can; I get why we must avoid using public transport at the moment if at all possible; I get why we wouldn't want groups to be gathering in parks; I get why it is appropriate for some to be able to drive a short distance to somewhere they can exercise relative 'safely'. I get all that. And they all work fine for me - as I get them each individually, and I am fortunate that living my life as I do and where I do they don't clash. However where I can see confusion for some is around trying to rationalise the science that is behind each of them - as they can be contradictory.

A lady who does childminding can do that for a child not her own, but cannot visit a grandchild who lives in a separate house from her? Workers can congregate at work in groups (size unlimited?) whilst observing social distancing requirements, but can't meet up with parents or family in the local park? I can drive as far as I want to exercise but can't if I want to just meet a friend or relative? I can drive to a beauty spot for exercise but when I get there if it is busy and social distancing is likely to be difficult then I must not stay? And when I am visiting a beauty spot and toilets are not open - then what? We have a couple of builders working on the outside of the house at the moment. They are keeping separate. And we can stop and talk with them both. But we can't stop and talk with my daughter and her b/fried unless he is my contact and my daughter is my wife's. Maybe.

I do not have an issue with any of these examples (and there are a multitude more). We are able to live within the guidelines and constraints and we are not looking to push any boundaries. Indeed my wife has this morning been asked by a closest friend if she wants to go for a walk on Friday, my wife would probably rather not in the context of coronavirus, although she'd dearly love to walk and talk with her close friend. She has not yet decided what to do. But that's just us. We are very fortunate.

However, if I look to find and understand the science underpinning what has now been advised in the examples being applied consistently I do struggle. And for those for whom what we have been advised raises conflicts I can see where real confusion on what to do comes.

And confusion raises fear. And in fear we often either do nothing, or do irrational things.

The government has told us that not a lot has changed (though asking us to go to work if we can is for many a massive change and challenge) - and so I feel that if nothing much has changed, then there really was no need to change the headline message - a message that we have come to know and understand.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
British Common Sense,
Here is the Wee Dug to give you his take on it.;)

https://weegingerdug.wordpress.com/

He doesn't seem to have any take on the virus

Maybe just the way I read the opening paragraphs but I think that fella might have a political bias in his blog (if not pro-something he’s definitely anti-conservative) It takes quite an edge off the chances of him saying anything of value as regards the virus

Its like a vegetarian writing an objective blog about sausages or a Rangers fan writing about Celtic, there's really nowt of value going to be said

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I get why we must get back to work if we can; I get why we must avoid using public transport at the moment if at all possible; I get why we wouldn't want groups to be gathering in parks; I get why it is appropriate for some to be able to drive a short distance to somewhere they can exercise relative 'safely'. I get all that. And they all work fine for me - as I get them each individually, and I am fortunate that living my life as I do and where I do they don't clash. However where I can see confusion for some is around trying to rationalise the science that is behind each of them - as they can be contradictory.

A lady who does childminding can do that for a child not her own, but cannot visit a grandchild who lives in a separate house from her? Workers can congregate at work in groups (size unlimited?) whilst observing social distancing requirements, but can't meet up with parents or family in the local park? I can drive as far as I want to exercise but can't if I want to just meet a friend or relative? I can drive to a beauty spot for exercise but when I get there if it is busy and social distancing is likely to be difficult then I must not stay? And when I am visiting a beauty spot and toilets are not open - then what? We have a couple of builders working on the outside of the house at the moment. They are keeping separate. And we can stop and talk with them both. But we can't stop and talk with my daughter and her b/fried unless he is my contact and my daughter is my wife's. Maybe.

I do not have an issue with any of these examples (and there are a multitude more). We are able to live within the guidelines and constraints and we are not looking to push any boundaries. Indeed my wife has this morning been asked by a closest friend if she wants to go for a walk on Friday, my wife would probably rather not in the context of coronavirus, although she'd dearly love to walk and talk with her close friend. She has not yet decided what to do. But that's just us. We are very fortunate.

However, if I look to find and understand the science underpinning what has now been advised in the examples being applied consistently I do struggle. And for those for whom what we have been advised raises conflicts I can see where real confusion on what to do comes.

And confusion raises fear. And in fear we often either do nothing, or do irrational things.

The government has told us that not a lot has changed (though asking us to go to work if we can is for many a massive change and challenge) - and so I feel that if nothing much has changed, then there really was no need to change the headline message - a message that we have come to know and understand.
This comes over to me as a post by someone with too much time on their hands so overthinking everything. Also if you're Wife goes for a walk with her Friend isnt she breaking the law ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
This comes over to me as a post by someone with too much time on their hands so overthinking everything. ...
It does highlight some 'illogicalities' though!
... Also if you're Wife goes for a walk with her Friend isnt she breaking the law ?
Isn't that the same as (or a least equivalent to) a (non-familial) 2-ball playing a round of golf? It would be wrong, imo, if one was illegal and the other was not!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It does highlight some 'illogicalities' though!

Isn't that the same as (or a least equivalent to) a (non-familial) 2-ball playing a round of golf? It would be wrong, imo, if one was illegal and the other was not!
It only highlights ilogicalalities if you are looking for them, it's like saying I can shop in a supermarket but why not in a clothes shop.

One has been authorised and one hasn't. You can meet up with another person in a park for example as long as you stay 2 meters apart, theres been nothing said about taking a walk together.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
This comes over to me as a post by someone with too much time on their hands so overthinking everything. Also if you're Wife goes for a walk with her Friend isnt she breaking the law ?
It's simply suggesting why some find the government message and 'directives' confusing and difficult as I hear quite a lot from folks saying the messaging is clear. We know what my Mrs wants to do is not breaking a 'law'. However just mentioning that as we will be taking a cautious approach to getting out and about with others even when allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.