Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
primary which has the most kids!???? Favourite pastime licking each other.
Year 6 I understand .
But if you use all the classrooms for these kids where do all the year 2;3;4;5 go if the SD has not been lifted.
As they are talking 2 weeks later .
It’s a big problem for head teachers.
Presumably there is a reason why they have chosen those years. They will have been chosen with some thought. I can't tell you what that is though ?

At the beginning those other years will not be there, take one issue at a time. Get those two years working, then worry about the next step.

With regards to returning in full, not sure how that will work unless they start utilising high schools as they are largely empty right now. That would make sense as I believe they will not go back until September. In my town the schools pretty much come under the same trust so that would be easy to arrange. In others it would not take too much to sort out I would hope. That takes us to September, worry about what happens then nearer the time.

The above is not ideal but we have to get creative and work together right now. Look for solutions not problems (and other such claptrap slogans they tell you on management courses ?)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Starmer is irrelevant during this, he’s offered his support to boris, stated a couple of times his support for the handling of the crisis.
Seems like he’s damned if does and damned if he doesn’t.
There are no doubt a fair few Labour supporters who would want Starmer to really stick the boot into the government - and I am sure there is a quite a loud voice in his head telling him to do just that. But Starmer is right to ignore these voices; to provide support as far as he can - but to not shirk from asking probing questions, gentle to start with perhaps, but sufficient to warn Johnson that he is on his case on this and that he expects better on the openness and especially on clarity front. Can it really be the case that, never mind the devolved governments not being consulted on the change in the key message, neither the CMO not the CSO were consulted? That beggars belief so much that I will currently dismiss such reports.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Presumably there is a reason why they have chosen those years. They will have been chosen with some thought. I can't tell you what that is though ?

At the beginning those other years will not be there, take one issue at a time. Get those two years working, then worry about the next step.

With regards to returning in full, not sure how that will work unless they start utilising high schools as they are largely empty right now. That would make sense as I believe they will not go back until September. In my town the schools pretty much come under the same trust so that would be easy to arrange. In others it would not take too much to sort out I would hope. That takes us to September, worry about what happens then nearer the time.

The above is not ideal but we have to get creative and work together right now. Look for solutions not problems (and other such claptrap slogans they tell you on management courses ?)

I believe year 6 has been chosen to help with the transition to high school in September. In which case your idea of using high school might be a good one as the year 6 kids could go to high schools with some of their primary teachers and get used to their new environment.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Playing dumb? From what I've just heard he's rightly picked the holes in the contradictory guidelines that was produced by the government.

Or do you think Starmer should just stroke Johnsons ego and tell him how great of a job he's doing?
How we cringe and laugh when we see Trump castigating and berating journalists in the US Press Briefings for asking nasty questions, and for not praising Trump on all he has done to prevent 2.2m deaths. We laugh at the absurdity of Trump's words and actions...but he knows that he cannot be questioned directly by the representatives of the US electorate - and so stops doing the briefings. Thank goodness we have the government structure we have, one in which the head of the government can be questioned directly, forcefully and repeatedly by our representatives - and if that questioning causes difficulties for the PM then so be it. Look at the alternative across the pond.

Last edited:

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
View attachment 30604

What does aim to mean? So should I wear or not?

To me it is advice- not an order- that if you use public transport and you are able to, it is the government advice that you wear a face covering. If you do not you will not be prevented from using public transport, you will merely be seen as not taking the advice. That may not be popular, but there you go, your decision.
What do you think . That the advice isn't clear ?or
there should be an order saying you must wear a face covering.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Starmer said he wanted to collaborate. However rather than actually suggesting or supporting anything he wants to be able to play smart and with the wisdom of hindsight say "I told you so." and claim the politicians view of the moral high ground
It is critically important at this time when very important decisions are having to be made that we are clear that the government has understood fully the lessons to be learned from what has happened since the turn of the year. We have to know they have learned these lessons so that we know why the government might have to turn to those in any town, region or the country as a whole that - for instance - an IMMEDIATE lockdown is being applied, because back in February...

There is no point in waiting until we are through this current pandemic to explain what was learned from mistakes made at the outset. Mistakes can be repeated or an electorate might be less compliant next time as we have been this first time. Just be honest.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Boris made a very poor job of communicating the new virus plan yesterday. I dont critise the Government easily but I cant defend them over this, Raab was just as bad this morning. It could have been done so much better with clear and unambiguous information yesterday then the doccument today could have produced the detail.

Except Starmer had a briefing paper that gave him an heads up and all MP's were given notices/papers that said what further documents were being released today, tomorrow and Wednesday. Consequently PMQs was mostly about MPs making speeches; the best example was Blackford SNP, whose asked partisan rhetorical questions in his speech.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
To me it is advice- not an order- that if you use public transport and you are able to, it is the government advice that you wear a face covering. If you do not you will not be prevented from using public transport, you will merely be seen as not taking the advice. That may not be popular, but there you go, your decision.
What do you think . That the advice isn't clear ?or
there should be an order saying you must wear a face covering.

Just a quick thought on that one. If it was stated “you must,” would that require a law to be passed by Parliament?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Ah - got some clarity there from a reporter on meeting with others form outside of my household.

I can walk to the park with my wife. My daughter can walk to the park with Luke - her b/friend who she shares a flat with. We two couples can close on each other. when 2m apart I say hi to my daughter; my wife says hi to Luke. I walk off chatting with Luke whilst my wife chats with my daughter. We cannot stay together as a socially distanced group of four. Sorted.

D

Deleted member 16999

I'll take that as a "no". There is an equivalent (in usage although not literal meaning) to that, which also starts with a "b".

Look I politely asked someone not to use an insult that I considered sexist. Which has triggered a few of you to argue with me and one to personally abuse me. I regret it. Which, I suspect, is what you wanted. Can we drop it now?
Totally agree Karen, sad people.

sunshine

Visit site
I would seem you haven't heard (or understood) what they were saying then. And your usage of "witch" is pure sexism, please stop that.

Oh dear, another witch hunt.

I think men can be victims of a witch hunt. I believe you can have a non-binary / gender fluid witch hunt too. So where does that leave you?

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Look I politely asked someone not to use an insult that I considered sexist. Which has triggered a few of you to argue with me and one to personally abuse me. I regret it. Which, I suspect, is what you wanted. Can we drop it now?

As the Original poster, if you'd said that straight away (whilst I don't agree with you) I'd have happily apologised. I'm not sexist, it's not sexist, it wasn't intended to be in anyway, just an insult.

I'll try to not use it on here again, don't want to make anyone uncomfortable at all. (y)

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Ah - got some clarity there from a reporter on meeting with others form outside of my household.

I can walk to the park with my wife. My daughter can walk to the park with Luke - her b/friend who she shares a flat with. We two couples can close on each other. when 2m apart I say hi to my daughter; my wife says hi to Luke. I walk off chatting with Luke whilst my wife chats with my daughter. We cannot stay together as a socially distanced group of four. Sorted.

You haven't made it clear but when you walk off with Luke, because he is from a different household you have to be 2 m apart, yes?
And, likewise,your wife can walk with your daughter, but 2m apart.

Agree?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How refreshing to see the BBC UK 6 o'clock news actually highlighting the England matter only issues.
It really bugged me when recently great swathes of their news time was given over to English matters only without them acknowledging that.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You haven't made it clear but when you walk off with Luke, because he is from a different household you have to be 2 m apart, yes?
And, likewise,your wife can walk with your daughter, but 2m apart.

Agree?
Yes indeed. Though if our daughter is the additional contact for both me and my wife we can both meet up with her in the park. If Luke comes with her then he has to head off somewhere by himself or maybe meet with his folks apart and quite separate from us. Sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.