Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 18588

I think you by-passed the word 'inspired'.
Unless you deny the briefing took place.......seems to be common knowledge from the journalists who were not invited....fancy that.
What?

Are you telling me that Wings over Scotland wasn't invited?

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Well, there is debate but it seems that opinion is moving towards the view that infection does generate antibodies in almost all the infected, and that those antibodies do provide immunity. The remaining question is how long those antibodies last. Vaccination seeks to do basically the same thing.

Some of the issues around 'immunity certificates' are political. The Govt is anxious about some people having a special card of invulnerability and that weakening adherence to social distancing for others.

Thanks for that Ethan, much appreciated.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes - the government should be pressed by the media on mixed messaging, PPE, contact tracing and testing ever day and the media should not be criticised for doing so.

And still you fail to answer the question.

As to the media pressing the government over PPE, I have no problem with that as there are as many reports of sufficient equipment as there are of not enough.

Mixed messages, not heard any from the daily brief, enough false messages coming out of the media and the last few days have been particularly bad" More a case of mixed interpretation from the public.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
And still you fail to answer the question.

As to the media pressing the government over PPE, I have no problem with that as there are as many reports of sufficient equipment as there are of not enough.

Mixed messages, not heard any from the daily brief, enough false messages coming out of the media and the last few days have been particularly bad" More a case of mixed interpretation from the public.

Or, the messages, from government, aren't sufficiently on point allowing for multiple interpretations...

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The biggest messaging problem the government faces is that having convinced 60 million people that they're all gonna die, they're going to have to tell everyone under the age of 70,without something nasty on their cv, that it's all ok actually, you'll be fine, please go back to work except for the millions of you who now have no jobs...

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Before they can do that, they need to actually take the steps to make it "ok". Currently we continue to get several thousand new infections and several hundred deaths every day. Quite surreal, against that background, that we seem to be edging towards relaxing our already lax rules.

I think the strategy now will be to all they can to get the economy moving again and try and relax the restrictions whilst keeping the R rate below 1.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Before they can do that, they need to actually take the steps to make it "ok". Currently we continue to get several thousand new infections and several hundred deaths every day. Quite surreal, against that background, that we seem to be edging towards relaxing our already lax rules.

Bit weird when you look at the numbers. The number of new cases and deaths has pretty much levelled out, could even be dropping a little, but the number of active cases continues to rise. Appreciate that it will rise as more are added to it but why has deaths levelled off/dropped?

Not suggesting the figures are being massaged in any way. The number of deaths will be mitigated as the clinical staff learn about the disease.

Just finding it a little difficult to compute.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bit weird when you look at the numbers. The number of new cases and deaths has pretty much levelled out, could even be dropping a little, but the number of active cases continues to rise. Appreciate that it will rise as more are added to it but why has deaths levelled off/dropped?

Not suggesting the figures are being massaged in any way. The number of deaths will be mitigated as the clinical staff learn about the disease.

Weekend figures, expect them to get lower tomorrow and Monday with a jump back up on Tuesday. Does every week.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Weekend figures, expect them to get lower tomorrow and Monday with a jump back up on Tuesday. Does every week.

I looked right across the figures from UK lockdown day. It almost looks stage managed when you look at the trends in other countries. How could it level out almost from lockdown onwards? Surely those taking it into lockdown would show up as a continued rise in the first few weeks as they and then their family members got it.

Just odd??

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've given up trying to read too much into the stats but it's so frustrating to see things levelling but not significantly dropping while the agenda seemingly shifts to opening up again.
I think the only real numbers are deaths, hospitalisations etc.
Infections are so hard to count - if you test more people, you get more positives. If you only test people who feel ill, you get more than if you test a random sample of the population. Maybe there's more detail somewhere, but frankly, we're just the peanut gallery and they don't seem inclined to share - Viz the redacted scientific advice. Information is power and there's no inclination to give it up at present.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
What can any ‘goverment’ do with the amount of idiots not doing what’s asked off them.
The amount of people flouting the rules is unbelievable.
A family from London travelling to Scotland for a 3 day break, Just one example!!

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
That's going to be a very difficult tightrope to walk. Maybe I'm too risk averse but it just doesn't seem like we're in a position to start that process yet.

Yes I agree. Which is a shame because if people really tried we could get the R rate lower quicker. Seems if you give people an inch they'll take two.
Those of us who are mobile through work are reporting too many seem to be ignoring social distancing, and it is the top story on my regional BBC news

PaulS

Visit site
Good Question from the Co Durham guy on the daily roundup.

'I live 175 miles from Edinburgh and 350 miles from London, which of those should I take advice from'.

Seems a rather petty question - surely it doesn’t matter where “advice” is coming from , you take it all in and then judge for yourself.

But If you are talking guidelines and lockdown rules then you take notice of the government for your area.

D

Deleted member 18588

Only a theory but could it be that initially we were only shown figures for new cases based upon those tested after admission to hospital.

Presumably they were those who were most severely infected and sadly lead to the deaths figure which subsequently reduced in line with the fall in those (the blue blocking the graph shown each day).

With the expansion of testing are we now seeing a more accurate reflection of the extent of the disease within the community but also a seemingly disproportionate rise in the number suffering a less serious form of the virus (this increase is shown in the orange block on the graph) with not the same level of deaths.

I am not certain by any means if this is a correct interpretation

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pleased to hear Shapps announce the transport initiatives.

Much needed anyway, might as well get something positive out of all this.

Signs that people are thinking about opportunities as well as threats

Mandofred

Visit site
What can any ‘goverment’ do with the amount of idiots not doing what’s asked off them.
The amount of people flouting the rules is unbelievable.
A family from London travelling to Scotland for a 3 day break, Just one example!!
Yep, totally agree with you. But....there are always idiots. There are "idiots" who are experts and/or in Govt themselves that ignore the rules. It comes down to a few points to me.
1. It looks like things are getting better. But....it isn't going to go away anytime soon.....months and months and months etc etc....
2. You have to open things at some point. You can't just keep paying people to stay home. Govt is bleeding money incredibly fast.....it isn't something that can continue.
3. At what point do you open? Now? A week from now? Month from now? The virus will still be there.....waiting......No matter when you open, there will be people waiting to state "I knew it was too early..... the govt is stupid". Govt really can't win no matter which way they go.
4. People have had enough....more and more are going to break the rules. The only way the trickle won't get worse is if you fill the streets with police (or zombies....pretty sure that would work).
5. Hind-sight is wonderful. There are a lot of experts out there that are saying "I told you so".
6. More cases...because there is more testing. Deaths levelling off because of somewhat better treatments and likely because there are less infections. Very much my opinion.
7. Opening back up won't result in the infection rates of a month+ ago.....there are LOTS of people who are going to be more careful and keep the social distancing continuing.

Status
Not open for further replies.