Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
But then you could just mail out every test you have and claim a huge victory on one day. I’d genuinely have preferred Paul’s option above. It’s an unnecessary talking point that tarnished a fantastic achievement.
Yes I guess so, especially if you are looking for a reason to tarnish it. Again, for me its tests or even tests available that count here, not the test results.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the criticism isnt really fair. Is a test included when someone goes to a test centre and gets swabbed or is it when the results come back, I think its number of tests as opposed to number of results.

That's an interesting point. In the early days when they were only testing people admitted to hospital were the numbers based on the number of people that had been tested that day or the number of lab results that had been returned?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Best quote of the whole period:

: "We didn't ask who we could blame, we asked how we could fix it" Mr Hancock 1 May 2020

I missed the conference today but one of the 1st agenda items we have in any governors meetings is to ask if anyone has any vested interests that they need to declare that will influence what they say later on in the meeting. Just wondering if Matt Hancock declared any interests on apportioning any blame before this statement today? If not then no worries, we can pick it up before the Daily telegraph approves the minutes on the front page tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 16999

That's an interesting point. In the early days when they were only testing people admitted to hospital were the numbers based on the number of people that had been tested that day or the number of lab results that had been returned?
Number in the Lab, they didn’t include the amount of test kits available in the hospital for each ward, just those kits that had been actually used to carry out a test.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well a very poor day for the government. When they should have been getting credit for getting close to achieving a challenging "stretch" target they have demonstrated that political spin is more important to them than actual outcomes. Why can't they just be honest and give us some sort of credible leadership to get behind?
It was a scientist who gave the figures

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So, it turns out that the 122k includes 27,000 home test kits which were posted out yesterday and 7000 kits which were sent to NHS satellite centres yesterday. So they are not actually tests which have been carried out.

Why do they need to be so disingenuous? If they had just said the testing figure for yesterday was 88k,I'm sure most people would have recognised that as a good result considering where we were a week ago.
Classic 'political spin'! And, in this case, far too easily called as 'dishonest' by the media. But will they?!

I wouldn't be surprised if even the 88k figure was 'manipulated'! But a great achievement all the same!

However, 'both sides' do it! The 'Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics' quote springs to mind far too often these days!

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Number in the Lab, they didn’t include the amount of test kits available in the hospital for each ward, just those kits that had been actually used to carry out a test.

Cheers for that. I'm assuming that means there's a lag in the number of tests each day as not all the tests will reach the lab on the same day they were taken? I'm assuming that these testing centres aren't just 9 to 5 so someone getting tested at 9pm is unlikely to be included in that days' figures by the time the test gets to the lab.

D

Deleted member 16999

Cheers for that. I'm assuming that means there's a lag in the number of tests each day as not all the tests will reach the lab on the same day they were taken? I'm assuming that these testing centres aren't just 9 to 5 so someone getting tested at 9pm is unlikely to be included in that days' figures by the time the test gets to the lab.
Not sure were the test centres send their kits mate.
But going by today and the update this week the testing kits sent to the centres on a daily basis will count whether they’ve been used or not.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The Government target was to achieve the capability of 100K tests. There is no way they could set a target of 'completed tests' because that is entirely dependent on the demand which is not within their control.

The UK now has the ability to conduct 100k tests which is a agreat achievement in the timescale. If we never need to use the facility that would be great, however an instrinsic part of moving out of the social controls is the ability to monitor and to finely target geographic areas of infection.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm struggling to understand something...
Deaths in care homes are going through the roof so to speak...
If there is a downward trend of hospitalizations and capacity in ICUs....
Why are these people not being carted into the ICUs as soon as it becomes apparent that they need the treatment..?
Or am I missing something..?

D

Deleted member 16999

The Government target was to achieve the capability of 100K tests. There is no way they could set a target of 'completed tests' because that is entirely dependent on the demand which is not within their control.

The UK now has the ability to conduct 100k tests which is a agreat achievement in the timescale. If we never need to use the facility that would be great, however an instrinsic part of moving out of the social controls is the ability to monitor and to finely target geographic areas of infection.
Not sure I see the word capability here?:unsure:

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Why are these people not being carted into the ICUs as soon as it becomes apparent that they need the treatment..?
I'm not a doctor but.... Many people in care homes are very old and not well. I suspect the chances of them surviving the move to a hospital and the intensive treatment required are pretty slim.
I think this makes sense, but perfectly willing to hear a better theory.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure were the test centres send their kits mate.
But going by today and the update this week the testing kits sent to the centres on a daily basis will count whether they’ve been used or not.

In which case that's a very poor manipulation of the figures - imo. I'm sure that if they'd come out and said we set ourselves an ambitious target of 100k tests a day by the end of April and we carried out 88k tests yesterday. In addition we have sent out X thousand home testing kits and supplied X thousand of extra kits to testing stations, bringing the total to 122k. Most people would have accepted that and possibly even praised the efforts that had gone in to it. Unfortunately the government, and Matt Hancock in particular, have left themselves open to accusations of of giving misleading figures or outright lying.

D

Deleted member 16999

I’m not sure of todays figure from Public Health England (PHE) for Covid-19 deaths outside of hospital or what the breakdown of what day they “actually” died.
The chart below (hopefully it will enlarge) gives the daily figures but only 2 totals from PHE.
A lot of the deaths now being reported from care homes could be historical.

3B7E2AD2-8530-4AB6-BAB1-D3D2C100411F.png

Status
Not open for further replies.