Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So, it turns out that the 122k includes 27,000 home test kits which were posted out yesterday and 7000 kits which were sent to NHS satellite centres yesterday. So they are not actually tests which have been carried out.

Why do they need to be so disingenuous? If they had just said the testing figure for yesterday was 88k,I'm sure most people would have recognised that as a good result considering where we were a week ago.

D

Deleted member 16999

OK, OK, cynic time, happy to praise his effort as previously stated, but that questioning on numbers left me with an uneasy feeling.

I’ve always believed the 100k target would be actual tests, ie those with a result, the breakdown of the 122,347 was not that straightforward, only 81,978 had actually reached a Lab, the other 40,369 were only posted out to homes yesterday or sent to satellite testing stations.

Got to be honest, still a great effort, but leaves a bit of sour taste tbh.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
So, it turns out that the 122k includes 27,000 home test kits which were posted out yesterday and 7000 kits which were sent to NHS satellite centres yesterday. So they are not actually tests which have been carried out.

Why do they need to be so disingenuous? If they had just said the testing figure for yesterday was 88k,I'm sure most people would have recognised that as a good result considering where we were a week ago.

Many centers (if ours was anything to go by) weren't fully used which was strange as the requirement was based on how many key workers were off self isolating in the area

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site

It’s a good point to be fair. I would have been more than happy to congratulate him/them if they’d reached 80-90k tests per day. Now I feel like they’re spinning the numbers for the sake of it. Oh well, I suppose some will say that he couldn’t win either way. No reason to move the goalposts though.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s a good point to be fair. I would have been more than happy to congratulate him/them if they’d reached 80-90k tests per day. Now I feel like they’re spinning the numbers for the sake of it. Oh well, I suppose some will say that he couldn’t win either way. No reason to move the goalposts though.

It seems that the goalpost weren't moved, just the rules for scoring the goal was never explained and counts were always done this way.

D

Deleted member 16999

It seems that the goalpost weren't moved, just the rules for scoring the goal was never explained and counts were always done this way.
Surely you can’t count “those posted” until you get them back or you can blame Royal Mail.;)

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
According to “Reality Check” (which I hope isn’t just the Labour Party pretending to be an independent fact checking body ?), the definition was changed on the 27th and 29th of April to include just posted home checks and tests sent to satellite centres!

Edit... Well done to the Government for getting the numbers as high as they did though ?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely you can’t count “those posted” until you get them back or you can blame Royal Mail.;)

The scientist responsible for testing just said said that's how the count was always done so they are doing like with like, I'm not blaming anyone or bothered either way. I'm more disappointed that demand hasn't met supply over the last week. Seeing members of the armed forces at three test centers twiddling their fingure was disheartening for all concerned.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Can't help feeling they'd have been better saying that tests were made available but demand amongst those eligible wasn't sufficient to get the number up to the 100k.
It reflects badly on Hancock for me. Papering the house (look it up) to achieve a randomly made up (by him) target,rather than having an adult discussion about the (good) progress which has been made and how it is to be built upon.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
According to “Reality Check” (which I hope isn’t just the Labour Party pretending to be an independent fact checking body ?), the definition was changed on the 27th and 29th of April to include just posted home checks and tests sent to satellite centres!

Edit... Well done to the Government for getting the numbers as high as they did though ?

Reality check calling the head honcho a liar, be interesting to see how that plays out.

D

Deleted member 16999

The scientist responsible for testing just said said that's how the count was always done so they are doing like with like, I'm not blaming anyone or bothered either way. I'm more disappointed that demand hasn't met supply over the last week. Seeing members of the armed forces at three test centers twiddling their fingure was disheartening for all concerned.
Like I said mate, still a great effort, but what I find frustrating is it leaves themselves open to questions they and we could do with out.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Like I said mate, still a great effort, but what I find frustrating is it leaves themselves open to questions they and we could do with out.
It’s an awkward situation. Fair to say that Hancock just couldn’t win. But my experience tells me that when you’re in a no win situation, don’t play the game. Straight bat and be honest. You can’t trip someone up if they’re telling the truth.

D

Deleted member 16999

It’s an awkward situation. Fair to say that Hancock just couldn’t win. But my experience tells me that when you’re in a no win situation, don’t play the game. Straight bat and be honest. You can’t trip someone up if they’re telling the truth.
Yep, even to have started with the 88k plus X plus Y would of come across better.

I can imagine everytime they discuss testing figures the first question is going to be “How many are in the post?”:mad:

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Please understand this is not actually a party political point.
I think it's quite heartening that demand hasn't met supply, rather like the overflow hospitals not being used.
To me it means that although a pretty large group of people, and their families, has been given the opportunity to get tested it they feel ill, they haven't because they're not actually ill. Long may it continue.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think the criticism isnt really fair. Is a test included when someone goes to a test centre and gets swabbed or is it when the results come back, I think its number of tests as opposed to number of results.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the criticism isnt really fair. Is a test included when someone goes to a test centre and gets swabbed or is it when the results come back, I think its number of tests as opposed to number of results.
But then you could just mail out every test you have and claim a huge victory on one day. I’d genuinely have preferred Paul’s option above. It’s an unnecessary talking point that tarnished a fantastic achievement.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I dont think you would, you are too dyed in the wool anti Tory to give them credit for anything. Be honest?

Status
Not open for further replies.