Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Any strategy that aims to eradicate this virus is simplistic. It is within society across the world . We 'may' get a vaccine that enables it to be controlled, but eliminated no.

Agreed that eradication on a global scale without a cheap vaccine is never going to happen but neither the PM nor the FM are attempting to eradicate on a global scale, they are just dealing with their own countries so I think elimination or full eradication are doable with the correct strategy

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
A friend lives in very rural part of Wales... Not been allowed to travel more than five miles [which doesn't even get him into his local town]… A real pain, he advises, but a whole lot better than dealing with an outbreak... Think he's willing rather than being happy for the restriction of visiting to stay in place for a while yet...

D

Deleted member 21258

The agenda seems to be driven by the Scots public ATM and not the Scottish Gov.
I'm was speaking to a neighbour who has three holiday homes in the village, he said that he would not think of opening them in the current circumstances.

We also have a Scots Brit Nat faction who say they will be ignoring Scot Gov advice and following their darling Boris.
Thankfully there is not many of them. :love:

Can not be part of the uncertainly aspect. One thing I do not like, people and business do not like is uncertainly, it stops spending and investment, uncertainty is fine if you are rich or retired on a pension but not good for the economy.

We have taken the decision to cancel the booking. Hope the owners manage to rebook it. The tourist industry and other businesses are paying a heavy price, for such talk by the FM.

Will have to make a dash upto Castle Stuart/Blarigrowie to use the H4H vouchers and dash back or maybe an overnight stay in a tent or vehicle. Wont be spending almost any money in the area as a result, which is a shame for the people who need to earn money from tourism.:(

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I think that is very similar to places like the Lake District, Peak District, here in Northumberland. Those areas have largely escaped it, why would any of us in those places want an influx right now?

Hey, I've just booked a break in Beadnell with the intention of getting a round in at Bamburgh Castle so you best be open for business. ;) May also pop in to Barnard Castle on the way up to check my eye sight if the opticians have not opened by then.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hey, I've just booked a break in Beadnell with the intention of getting a round in at Bamburgh Castle so you best be open for business. ;) May also pop in to Barnard Castle on the way up to check my eye sight if the opticians have not opened by then.
We are pretty clear up here, have been throughout. There are pockets but those are in some of the built up areas you would not go to anyway, Ashington & Blyth for example. We have so many miles of beaches that you will have no problem walking on them and keeping away from people.

I'm guessing you will have played Bamburgh before. Alnmouth (Foxton) would be another one to put on your list if you are looking for another place to play.

I'd give Barnard a miss. Attracts the wrong types :LOL:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can not be part of the uncertainly aspect. One thing I do not like, people and business do not like is uncertainly, it stops spending and investment, uncertainty is fine if you are rich or retired on a pension but not good for the economy.

We have taken the decision to cancel the booking. Hope the owners manage to rebook it. The tourist industry and other businesses are paying a heavy price, for such talk by the FM.

Will have to make a dash upto Castle Stuart/Blarigrowie to use the H4H vouchers and dash back or maybe an overnight stay in a tent or vehicle. Wont be spending almost any money in the area as a result, which is a shame for the people who need to earn money from tourism.:(

Are you aware that there is currently a 5 mile restriction on non essential travel in Scotland.
Expensive trip if you are stopped and turned back on route.
Did you read Patrick's post.:unsure:

D

Deleted member 21258

Are you aware that there is currently a 5 mile restriction on non essential travel in Scotland.
Expensive trip if you are stopped and turned back on route.
Did you read Patrick's post.:unsure:

Did you read my post without putting a twist to fit your agenda,:unsure: where have I said I am driving up now or my holiday was now or under the current restrictions.;)

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Did you read my post without putting a twist to fit your agenda,:unsure: where have I said I am driving up now or my holiday was now or under the current restrictions.;)

Where did you say you were not :unsure:
I was just trying to give you some friendly useful advice that may have saved you some wasted time and cash.You seemed to be unaware of the 5 mile limit.

D

Deleted member 21258

Where did you say you were not :unsure:
I was just trying to give you some friendly useful advice that may have saved you some wasted time and cash.You seemed to be unaware of the 5 mile limit.

Not sure how you think I am unaware of the 5 mile limit ?

D

Deleted member 21258

I think that outlook is not quite right, thats the opening up to quickly, look at Wales for example for the opposite and they haven't opened up as such, look at Devon, look at massive parts of England.

I fear we are losing context and our ability to assess risk and the effects of the above kind of articles/thinking.

As an example:-

Shropshire is 32nd on the list of areas in England(out of 150 I think), so pretty bad on that map and has just under 14 cases per 100,000.

That is 1 in 7,143 people, I would need to get up close and personal with every golf member in something like 10-12 golf clubs, to meet one person.

Okay lets quad it to make it a lot worse and read a lot worse than reality (for undetected and 2 week infectious period) it so 1 in 1785. I would need to get up close and personal with every golf member in a golf club in something like 3-4 golf clubs.

edit All fairly remote, so it needs to be track & trace, then people need to self isolate but the risk is fairly low of meeting someone and then catching it and then dying from it.

As a comparison:-

Think of how many people are going to die from cancer, as they have not been picked up early. I know plenty of people who have had it picked up early and survived due to early action. In April alone there was 120,000 less cancer referrals. Frightening figures for one month(will have to found out normal cancer rates detected from referrals)
Think of the million plus jobs that are going and going quickly, that will push people into poverty
Think of the million(s) that will be pushed into poverty due to earning less
Whereas if you are under 50, the chances of you catching it and then dying from it are really really low (or even 50-60 is low) [don't get me wrong, I don't want to catch and take the risk....)

We need to look at the big picture now and balance all these risks and bring policies into play. This story has only just started, unless a vaccine comes along and even then the story with regards to economic situation is bad.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I was speaking to one of my colleague in Texas yesterday that has had a big rise in infections. And he said it was mostly down to them reopening mostly everything at the start of June and then people kind of going back to 'normal' before Covid came along. in his opinion they opened too early as the politics kicked in. And they hadn't reached previously stated targets to trigger reopening, the politicians were more reacting to public opinion than following the science (sounds familiar?)

He said now there is a large increasing in young people getting it, essentially the people who are a lot more out and about and going to bars, restaurants etc. Obviously it is very hot in Texas at this time of year which puts pay to the suggestion it goes away in hot weather.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think that outlook is not quite right, thats the opening up to quickly, look at Wales for example for the opposite and they haven't opened up as such, look at Devon, look at massive parts of England.

I fear we are losing context and our ability to assess risk and the effects of the above kind of articles/thinking.

As an example:-

Shropshire is 32nd on the list of areas in England(out of 150 I think), so pretty bad on that map and has just under 14 cases per 100,000.

That is 1 in 7,143 people, I would need to get up close and personal with every golf member in something like 10-12 golf clubs, to meet one person.

Okay lets quad it to make it a lot worse and read a lot worse than reality (for undetected and 2 week infectious period) it so 1 in 1785. I would need to get up close and personal with every golf member in a golf club in something like 3-4 golf clubs.

edit All fairly remote, so it needs to be track & trace, then people need to self isolate but the risk is fairly low of meeting someone and then catching it and then dying from it.

As a comparison:-

Think of how many people are going to die from cancer, as they have not been picked up early. I know plenty of people who have had it picked up early and survived due to early action. In April alone there was 120,000 less cancer referrals. Frightening figures for one month(will have to found out normal cancer rates detected from referrals)
Think of the million plus jobs that are going and going quickly, that will push people into poverty
Think of the million(s) that will be pushed into poverty due to earning less
Whereas if you are under 50, the chances of you catching it and then dying from it are really really low (or even 50-60 is low) [don't get me wrong, I don't want to catch and take the risk....)

We need to look at the big picture now and balance all these risks and bring policies into play. This story has only just started, unless a vaccine comes along and even then the story with regards to economic situation is bad.

Hopefully that makes sense.

agree totally. We simply cannot delay opening up as the economy and the knoock-on effects to our personal lives will be much more damaging than the current COVID situation. We need to get going with the next phase of normal and implement local targetted lockdowns where necessary. This will be with us well into next year and we need to start producing economic growth or there will be austerity from next year on a scale that we have never seen before.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
D

Deleted member 27823

It’s massively difficult whichever way you try and navigate it. But it seems to me that there’s no sustainable economic recovery without controlling the virus. We ignored the warnings from wuhan and Italy at the start and I fear we are ignoring the warnings from USA now.

As always, I am a pessimist so do tend to fear the worst. Hope I’m wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.