Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Does anybody else feel that the virus is less severe during summer?

What I mean is, they keep testing more people but it feels like a lot of positive tested people have no symptoms and are therefore not feeling ill, or are in any visible danger. Again in Germany in 2 meat processing plants they have 80+ cases in one, 40+ in the other. Of the one with 80 cases I read that NONE of them did actually show any symptoms.
It could just be bad reporting of symptoms, people say they didn't have any so they could go to work not losing a pay cheque, or the virus is 'fading out'?

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site

What I mean is, they keep testing more people but it feels like a lot of positive tested people have no symptoms and are therefore not feeling ill, or are in any visible danger. Again in Germany in 2 meat processing plants they have 80+ cases in one, 40+ in the other. Of the one with 80 cases I read that NONE of them did actually show any symptoms.
It could just be bad reporting of symptoms, people say they didn't have any so they could go to work not losing a pay cheque, or the virus is 'fading out'?

There is a body of thought that suggests these viruses do not survive well under the UV and high summer temperatures. Hence the concern that a second wave may hit in the Autumn and may be mistaken for seasonal flu and not be picked up until the infection rate is at dangerous levels.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Anyone who thinks that 60% capacity pubs that have been closed for 3.5 months would be anything other than at capacity on whatever day they reopen is living on a different planet. And, to prove the point - your half million people in dorset last week were there not on a weekend but wedenesday and thursday - good job it wasn't a saturday hey!
And half a million people at McDonalds on opening day, and in Ikea as well as Primark.

Well, not really half a million, but enough to make it look like a lot more than there should be. A novelty thing, it's freshly open, lets go. They didn't plan to be part of half a million, just 5000,000 having the same idea. Pubs will not be any different. My guess is they might be worse.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
There is a body of thought that suggests these viruses do not survive well under the UV and high summer temperatures. Hence the concern that a second wave may hit in the Autumn and may be mistaken for seasonal flu and not be picked up until the infection rate is at dangerous levels.
Does it affect the R rate as well as the severity? Virus load is low enough so most people can fight it from the outset? Then maybe now would be the time to drive for here immunity? (not really!)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good point but, imo, the emphasis should still be on preventing possible spikes! The week's 'warmup' is ideal for educating both 'regulars' and staff about the 'new' procedures!
Remember...Until there's an effective vaccine, it's up to everybody to prevent transmission!
Staff I agree with. Regulars I am not concerned with, regulars are very protective of their pub and, certainly in my local, would be pulling people up for social distancing breaches. The problems are pubs with less in the way of regulars, larger pubs and town/city centre ones. Guessing they may have to hire security to deal with numbers in and out.

My opinion is probably a bit out of kilter with some as I tend only to drink in village pubs these days. My biggest problem will be not being able to take my usual seat at the bar.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Surely, capacity allowing going forward, anyone who goes near a doctor's surgery with a cough is going to get a covid swab up the nostrel

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Surely, capacity allowing going forward, anyone who goes near a doctor's surgery with a cough is going to get a covid swab up the nostrel

Yup. I was thinking that people might just ignore their symptoms as 'normal' flu thereby allowing further infections.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I watched a Panorama programme on Covid last night. A bit woolly but one of the things that stood out was the high proportion of people who test positive showing no symptons at all. They found this was a major contributor to an outbreak in a Somerset hospital. The staff were passing on the virus without realising as they were showing no symptons. It is only when regular testing of NHS staff came in that this was highlighted. They reckoned about half people with it showed no symptons, and so were not isolating. Similar results were found in Germany. It shows why regular testing is so crucial, and not just of people showing symptons. That only catches half of those carrying it.

Regarding the temperatures, the virus is less stable in heat so is not as aggressive. It likes the cold so an abattoir is close to perfect conditions for it, hence the problems in them.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yup. I was thinking that people might just ignore their symptoms as 'normal' flu thereby allowing further infections.
I dont believe I've ever had Flu, I've had plenty of colds but never bad enough to put me in bed. If I did catch it I would probably think I had Covid now.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Awfully sorry old bean, I do hope no other posters were disturbed in any way by my minor typo.
I would like to imagine most were kind and forgiving and would have been sensible enough to pick up the gist of the sentence.

Oh I did pick up what you meant, and normally I wouldn't bother. However, given that you were picking up someone on their misuse of language, it seemed only fair to highlight a similar error in yours; showing you the same level of forgiveness that you showed to your victim if you like. (y)

D

Deleted member 21258

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53237271

Who needs an independence vote ;):eek:

Still not sure what to do about the Scottish holiday I have booked and a deposit paid, may well try to cancel as cant be arsed with the will it or will it not. Thats better than having to pay the balance now and then losing all the money later. What to do with the castle stuart H4H voucher, wonder if they will roll it over a year or its one long day trip. Oh tossing pancakes :rolleyes::unsure: I know Ill goto Wales instead, oh what a minute, blast it I off to Yorkshire:LOL:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Great ambitious words from Johnson for future infrastructure - not sure ow much of it is new though - but nonetheless - it's a bit of a medium to long term plan...

However - infrastructure projects are not going to provide help for possibly millions of pending unemployed who might have no - or at best limited - future in the service/hospitality and performing arts sectors in which they worked before the pandemic. What are the governments plans for that vast swathe of newly unemployed? What are the governments plans for re-training/re-skilling? Because infrastructure build jobs are just not going to be relevant for the skills of the vast majority who are going to become unemployed in the coming 3-6 months.

Yes - it's great planning for big spending in the medium term when the projects get going - but the immediate short term also needs addressing - and for that I heard nothing from Johnson today other than a hope that these sectors can get up and running fairly soon. And if they don't?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Great ambitious words from Johnson for future infrastructure - not sure ow much of it is new though - but nonetheless - it's a bit of a medium to long term plan...

However - infrastructure projects are not going to provide help for possibly millions of pending unemployed who might have no - or at best limited - future in the service/hospitality and performing arts sectors in which they worked before the pandemic. What are the governments plans for that vast swathe of newly unemployed? What are the governments plans for re-training/re-skilling? Because infrastructure build jobs are just not going to be relevant for the skills of the vast majority who are going to become unemployed in the coming 3-6 months.

Yes - it's great planning for big spending in the medium term when the projects get going - but the immediate short term also needs addressing - and for that I heard nothing from Johnson today other than a hope that these sectors can get up and running fairly soon. And if they don't?
And what do you think he should do for them?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Oh I did pick up what you meant, and normally I wouldn't bother. However, given that you were picking up someone on their misuse of language, it seemed only fair to highlight a similar error in yours; showing you the same level of forgiveness that you showed to your victim if you like. (y)
OK just to say that in future I shall be watching all of your posts very carefully for any typos and miss spelling :eek:(n);)

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Investing now when interest rates are low is exactly the correct approach. The majority of the spend is long term.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Still not sure what to do about the Scottish holiday I have booked and a deposit paid, may well try to cancel as cant be arsed with the will it or will it not. Thats better than having to pay the balance now and then losing all the money later. What to do with the castle stuart H4H voucher, wonder if they will roll it over a year or its one long day trip. Oh tossing pancakes :rolleyes::unsure: I know Ill goto Wales instead, oh what a minute, blast it I off to Yorkshire:LOL:
They talked about this on J.Vine today on R2. Whilst Scotland have figures marginally better than England they are still worse than Italy, in terms of proportions / population etc. They are Bournemouth compared to England being Norwich :oops:. Neither country have anything to boast about and the idea of one quarantining the other is political posturing at its worst. I guess it will play well to the SNP core vote :rolleyes:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

The agenda seems to be driven by the Scots public ATM and not the Scottish Gov.
I'm was speaking to a neighbour who has three holiday homes in the village, he said that he would not think of opening them in the current circumstances.

We also have a Scots Brit Nat faction who say they will be ignoring Scot Gov advice and following their darling Boris.
Thankfully there is not many of them. :love:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The agenda seems to be driven by the Scots public ATM and not the Scottish Gov.
I'm was speaking to a neighbour who has three holiday homes in the village, he said that he would not think of opening them in the current circumstances.

We also have a Scots Brit Nat faction who say they will be ignoring Scot Gov advice and following their darling Boris.
Thankfully there is not many of them. :love:
Sounds like your neighbour is English, thrown out some crofters from their cottages and is renting them out to Sassenach holidaymakers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.