Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So the US government have bought up the entire world stock of Remdesiver, the only currently liscensed anti viral, who'd have seen that one coming ?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
"Anyone who is trotting out constitutional arguments is in the wrong place"

Not sure how I feel about that...
Hope Scotland isnt relying on anything from England if she does.

So its ok to quarantine Leicester but not Scotland? Whilst she might be viewed with scepticism, is she wrong in terms of managing Scotland's response to the virus?

D

Deleted member 21258

So its ok to quarantine Leicester but not Scotland? Whilst she might be viewed with scepticism, is she wrong in terms of managing Scotland's response to the virus?

I think neither of those posts read like that to me or is inferring your point, but maybe I am reading them wrong. :unsure: Anyway I will have a go at the direction I look at that situation.

Scotlands actual results are still pants, fact, sadly. So lets not think Scotland like Spain, have done a good job, as they have been pants along with England and Wales, none are a New Zealand, and people have paid that price :cry:

Its an interesting issue, however for me, I do not like the 'keep the outsiders out' outlook that your comment breeds. We are all one country ( the 4 of us, in my eyes) and therefore as public we should be free to roam that country, within reason.

I do however agree that a local lockdown is great at trying to stop a hotspot spreading to other areas. (to look at it from my direction, England as a whole is not as such a hotspot anymore, like Scotland, so I disagree with the outlook that England needs to be locked out of Scotland(Edit or say Shropshire from Herefordshire), in lets call it a local lockdown attitude)

So I am in favour of, stopping the spread of the virus from smaller areas, but not the lock out of massive areas that are not hot stops, to possibly stop the spread. As you can not get the virus from someone who is not infected.

Whereas a 'keep the outsiders out' attitude and what that breeds is something I really dislike. The keep people out is just in case they are infected, is a direction of action I do not like and should only be done in certain cases (ie. as a nation like New Zealand has or on local basis due to flare ups).

This virus is not going away(unless a 100% vaccine comes along, which is questionable) and we therefore need to bring in sensible policies that protect peoples freedoms and also allow businesses to trade. As someone who is retired, you may well be more worried about dying from the virus, so stopping the cirus is higher up your agenda and we all have agendas whether we like to believe it or not.

I appreciate the other way of looking at it, is how you have posted and both have merits but what that breeds and restrictions of peoples freedoms I really do not like.

Hopefully you can see the direction I am coming from, slightly different outlook/angle.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site

It's completely different, people are being "quarantined" in Leicester. To stop spread out of it. constitutionally it's still merky. Scotland has had 3 deaths in 5 days. She wants to keep the English out.

There's 100's of international flights going in and out of Edinburgh and Glasgow today, gonna stop those too?

That comment is flagrant political willy waving, provocative and not to mention completely unenforceable.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Leicester isnt stopping people from outside the city coming into it or passing through it. What about people who live near the border, should they be locked out and would she shut down International flights. Its anti English willy waving.

D

Deleted member 27823

It’s hypothetical and very unlikely to happen but seems common sense that, say, in a scenario where Scotland virtually eliminated the virus while it ran uncontrolled in England it should be possible to restrict non-essential travel between the two.

Clearly nobody would want that but all NS said, in response to the question, was that she wasn’t ruling anything out. What an outrage!!! :rolleyes:

And, hypothetically again, if it was the other way round I’d expect the same to apply.

Utter nonsense to suggest there’s anything anti-English about it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It's completely different, people are being "quarantined" in Leicester. To stop spread out of it. constitutionally it's still merky. Scotland has had 3 deaths in 5 days. She wants to keep the English out.

There's 100's of international flights going in and out of Edinburgh and Glasgow today, gonna stop those too?

That comment is flagrant political willy waving, provocative and not to mention completely unenforceable.

I cant see that. The article reports she says she has no plans for a quarantine for visitors from other parts of the UK (with a 'never say never' added which I guess is only prudent because there's no guarantees in life)

The report doesn't mention English people at all and even if you are inclined to add a spin to suggest she does want a cross border quarantine, when the article doesn't actually say that, then it would be a quarantine for people coming from England, not a quarantine for English people. Nationality doesn't enter into it, its visitors originating from a country

Granted most people in England are English but the virus doesn't care

D

Deleted member 16999

It’s hypothetical and very unlikely to happen but seems common sense that, say, in a scenario where Scotland virtually eliminated the virus while it ran uncontrolled in England it should be possible to restrict non-essential travel between the two.

Clearly nobody would want that but all NS said, in response to the question, was that she wasn’t ruling anything out. What an outrage!!! :rolleyes:

And, hypothetically again, if it was the other way round I’d expect the same to apply.

I cant see that. The article reports she says she has no plans for a quarantine for visitors from other parts of the UK (with a 'never say never' added which I guess is only prudent because there's no guarantees in life)

The report doesn't mention English people at all and even if you are inclined to add a spin to suggest she does want a cross border quarantine, when the article doesn't actually say that, then it would be a quarantine for people coming from England, not a quarantine for English people. Nationality doesn't enter into it, its visitors originating from a country

Granted most people in England are English but the virus doesn't care
Keep your sensible posts out of this please! ;) It’s too good an opportunity to have a dig at NS, the Scottish and Doon.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

We are now at the point where the virus is occurring in a regional way, not national. Northumberland has very few cases, Gateshead, Sunderland and Middlesbrough has spikes. Regional lockdowns are the way forward now, not blunt national ones, and i am sure NS knows this. NS knew exactly what she was saying, who she was saying it too and the implications of it. She is a very long way from being naive and to answer the question how she did and expect it not be taken how it has would need her to be very politically naive.

D

Deleted member 18588

As one who is often critical of Nicola Sturgeon I must say that, in this instance, I cannot see anything either wrong or anti-English in her comments.

Eminently sensible to keep all options open when dealing with a pandemic whilst not making any knee jerk reactions.

Still, reporting it in this manner probably plays well with Daily Mail readers.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We are now at the point where the virus is occurring in a regional way, not national. Northumberland has very few cases, Gateshead, Sunderland and Middlesbrough has spikes. Regional lockdowns are the way forward now, not blunt national ones, and i am sure NS knows this. NS knew exactly what she was saying, who she was saying it too and the implications of it. She is a very long way from being naive and to answer the question how she did and expect it not be taken how it has would need her to be very politically naive.

Dumfries and Galloway Council [D&G] is huge.
It's southern boundary is about 100 miles long.
Alongside with Borders Council it has a very sparse population not sure how a regional lockdown would work for them without closing the border with England.:unsure:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dumfries and Galloway Council [D&G] is huge.
It's southern boundary is about 100 miles long.
Alongside with Borders Council it has a very sparse population not sure how a regional lockdown would work for them without closing the border with England.:unsure:
Do you think there are going to be guards and fences surrounding Leicester? Do you see a genuine border between Scotland and England right now, with officials, buildings, barriers etc?

Lockdowns from day 1 have relied on compliance and then enforcement where necessary. This is no different.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site

You know my views on NS, however one thing I will never accuse her of is being naive or unintelligent.

Yes you can take the article at face value, but she knows what she's doing. Look at how it's been reported, you think that's a surprise to her? Even the New Scientist are posting absolute tripe. read the last line!

My original quote coupled with " I would really welcome a statement from the Prime Minister that England's strategy was about trying to eliminate the virus as well" shows her intent.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You know my views on NS, however one thing I will never accuse her of is being naive or unintelligent.

Yes you can take the article at face value, but she knows what she's doing. Look at how it's been reported, you think that's a surprise to her? Even the New Scientist are posting absolute tripe. read the last line!

My original quote coupled with " I would really welcome a statement from the Prime Minister that England's strategy was about trying to eliminate the virus as well" shows her intent.

Any strategy that aims to eradicate this virus is simplistic. It is within society across the world . We 'may' get a vaccine that enables it to be controlled, but eliminated no.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Any strategy that aims to eradicate this virus is simplistic. It is within society across the world . We 'may' get a vaccine that enables it to be controlled, but eliminated no.
Lol. If I was one of the many other preventable causes of death that killed far more Scots than covid I'd be quite relieved she's looking the other way...
Such a ridiculous statement. We're already seeing the profound and long lasting consequences of our actions. They will kill and impoverish millions long after everyone she's 'saving' are distant memories.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
They talked about this on J.Vine today on R2. Whilst Scotland have figures marginally better than England they are still worse than Italy, in terms of proportions / population etc. They are Bournemouth compared to England being Norwich :oops:. Neither country have anything to boast about and the idea of one quarantining the other is political posturing at its worst. I guess it will play well to the SNP core vote :rolleyes:
Up here we have had no cases for weeks and have on the whole avoided the virus. The Hosp in Inverness hasn't had many cases at all.

i can see that if a all a sudden thousands turn up here it woudln't take long to spread and the NHS don't have much capacity, esp some of the more remote area's and the islands. our economy up here is largely reliant on toursim, but i'm not sure anyone wants to risk it running though the local population

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Up here we have had no cases for weeks and have on the whole avoided the virus. The Hosp in Inverness hasn't had many cases at all.

i can see that if a all a sudden thousands turn up here it woudln't take long to spread and the NHS don't have much capacity, esp some of the more remote area's and the islands. our economy up here is largely reliant on toursim, but i'm not sure anyone wants to risk it running though the local population
I think that is very similar to places like the Lake District, Peak District, here in Northumberland. Those areas have largely escaped it, why would any of us in those places want an influx right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.