Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd be interested to know how many of those slating Cummings, or any other of the 'lockdown transgressors', over the last few pages are morally beyond reproach.

What gives you the right to judge other people, without recourse to all the facts, and to call for them to lose their jobs?

The public position argument doesn't wash.

Have you never made a mistake / error / bent rules?
Do you know ALL the facts about each case?
What gives you the authority to judge?

Interested to hear everyones moral credentials.

Does anyone look at themselves first before calling out others?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Exactly this ^^^

Cummings has to go whether through resignation or given the boot by Boris end of. He has no defence for breaking the rules on a)lockdown & b) not leaving a child with people in an at risk age group which was also not supposed to happen.

I fail to see how any Tory MP, supporter or voter could possibly defend it or be willing to accept, because if he doesn't go it would show they're willing to accept the double standards.

It's a nightmare for Boris. Either he sacks his main man, or he will be seen as a total hypocrite.

My prediction is he goes, but is back in post within the year. Williamson and Patel were both sacked for lying, that would normally be career-ending but both were welcomed back after a short stint on the naughty step.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was vehemently against Calderwood resigning, no need or desire to drag that out again just making my position clear, so what happens next is going to be fascinating. The difference between Calderwood's error and Cummings' is huge - what with him actually being infected.

"Infected covidiot travels 264 miles to visit elderly parents"

That headline we didn't see.

Astonishing. This is a monumental moment in British politics. This is a Watergate, a Profumo, a Westland, a Mandelson, a Cash For Questions ...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd be interested to know how many of those slating Cummings, or any other of the 'lockdown transgressors', over the last few pages are morally beyond reproach.

What gives you the right to judge other people, without recourse to all the facts, and to call for them to lose their jobs?

On this subject he is part of the govt setting out the rules and guidelines. If he breaks them then how can those rules stand up and have credibility? What he has done is pure hypocrisy and he has to go.

In terms of resigning issues it really depends on each case. In this instance you can't have govt ministers stood at press conferences telling people what they can not do when one of their own key people has so blatantly broken those rules. He has become the story, that can not happen in govt and he will be very aware of that.

At the level these people are at it is very GoT. There are rules to the game, they know the rules. They are not in a normal job.

Last edited:

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I do not know the full details of the" arrangements " Cummings made for the looking after of his children when he and wife got Covid. A report I read mentioned a sister who may have been asked to look after the children?
Whatever.....
If he and wife and children in the same vehicle drove to Durham after lockdown- that's wrong. Breaks the "rules".
Did he really take his children to be looked after by his parents?
When he had got Covid?
That is incredible, who the hell would do that to their parents?

Why could not the sister come to London to pick up the kids to take them to her home and look after them .
Why involve the grandparents at all.?
I mean, this brings into the limelight this question of whether children can pass on the virus or not? Even from a Covid ridden environment?
I would have thought it very likely they could/would. Of all the questions arising from this situation, this is also a question that needs clarification

D

Deleted member 16999

Deflect, deflect, deflect...........36,000 dead and rising! He’s involved in discussions/strategies/policies all around this pandemic.

Is there no lengths some will go to to protect these people.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site

Yep,

Haven’t broken a single lockdown rule intentionally or as far as I’m aware unintentionally.

Rules are rules.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

so anyone who hasn't driven 250 miles while infected and visited elderly relatives can then?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I know it is too late now, but updated information seem to say you can if you are displaying symptoms and hiding in her spare bedroom.

I really just want to see now how those that called you out are trying to defend Cummings.
You might not be that surprised that this news has been received with incredulity, more than anger in fact, by my wife - but her anger grows as she starts to hear some make excuses for their actions, and in expectation of a series of apologists in government doing the same. She thinks Johnson should front the briefing today and state whether he knew of this and what he is going to do as Cummings is accountable to Johnson and Johnson alone.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Deflect, deflect, deflect...........36,000 dead and rising! He’s involved in discussions/strategies/policies all around this pandemic.

Is there no lengths some will go to to protect these people.
There are a number of people making accusations of posters defending him, I've not read any such posts, one person has suggested it's best to have recourse to all the facts before condemning. What's wrong with that!

Cummings may well have broken the rules but let's put the pitchforks away and see what transpires.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is no difference. Both have broken the same law. There is no subjectivity.

Calderwood travelled against guidance to stay at home.
Ferguson flouted physical distancing guidelines with his mistress.
Cummings has travelled, flouted physical distancing AND not isolated under infection.

In the league table of breaking clauses in government guidance, there is an objective victor here.

D

Deleted member 16999

There are a number of people making accusations of posters defending him, I've not read any such posts, one person has suggested it's best to have recourse to all the facts before condemning. What's wrong with that!

Cummings may well have broken the rules but let's put the pitchforks away and see what transpires.
Let’s not, let’s do what we did over any smear or headline that comes out over a non-tory and have them found guilty without any facts.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...isolation-wife-young-son-ill-coronavirus.html

The door swings both ways.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
BREAKING

Coronavirus: PM says it was 'reasonable' for Cummings to travel 260 miles during lockdown

Number 10 issued the following statement: "Owing to his wife being infected with suspected coronavirus and the high likelihood that he would himself become unwell, it was essential for Dominic Cummings to ensure his young child could be properly cared for.

"His sister and nieces had volunteered to help so he went to a house near to but separate from his extended family in case their help was needed. His sister shopped for the family and left everything outside. At no stage was he or his family spoken to by the police about this matter, as is being reported. His actions were in line with coronavirus guidelines. Mr Cummings believes he behaved reasonably and legally."

- that is an absolute disgrace, but sadly not a surprise.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
BREAKING

Coronavirus: PM says it was 'reasonable' for Cummings to travel 260 miles during lockdown

Number 10 issued the following statement: "Owing to his wife being infected with suspected coronavirus and the high likelihood that he would himself become unwell, it was essential for Dominic Cummings to ensure his young child could be properly cared for.

"His sister and nieces had volunteered to help so he went to a house near to but separate from his extended family in case their help was needed. His sister shopped for the family and left everything outside. At no stage was he or his family spoken to by the police about this matter, as is being reported. His actions were in line with coronavirus guidelines. Mr Cummings believes he behaved reasonably and legally."

- that is an absolute disgrace, but sadly not a surprise.

Got a source? Shameful if true.

Status
Not open for further replies.