Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Very capable presentation. What does surprise me though is the tickatape running along the bottom during the BBC broadcast showed that half the deaths in Scotland were from care homes. The government in England got and continues to get (rightly so) slammed for this even though the figures are less.

It does appear the press are giving her an easier ride.

Between 13 March and 8 May, 39,404 people died in care homes in England and Wales.

The five-year average number of people who die in care homes during that same period is 17,591, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

This means an extra 21,813 deaths occurred between what the ONS record as week 12 and week 19, a rise of 124%.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...mpared-with-normal-times-is-revealed-11991080

Of course, you can count these figures in a host of different ways, but the above suggests 22k deaths in care homes up to 8th May, either directly or indirectly as a result of the virus.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Between 13 March and 8 May, 39,404 people died in care homes in England and Wales.

The five-year average number of people who die in care homes during that same period is 17,591, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

This means an extra 21,813 deaths occurred between what the ONS record as week 12 and week 19, a rise of 124%.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...mpared-with-normal-times-is-revealed-11991080

Of course, you can count these figures in a host of different ways, but the above suggests 22k deaths in care homes up to 8th May, either directly or indirectly as a result of the virus.
I think you'll find it was about care homes in Scotland and it was just an observation not a comparison or a league table.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
They dont have a Tory Government so in his opinion must be better.
so i'm not allowed to comment on the UK Gov then?? i do't remember you adhearing to the same sentimants when you want to critisise the SNP, but as usual one rule for you and a diff foranyone else..

and no doubt you will be complaining to mods about playing the poster rather than the post again:rolleyes:

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, the scottish media is very cowed by the SNP. Their attack dogs jump on anything.

I read something that I might be about to slightly misquote but basically the scottish infection rate, testing rate, care home deaths are all worse than England on a per capita basis.

if you search Andrew Neil on Twitter e has the stats

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
The big difference (to me) seems to be the promise that test and trace will be in place by the time we ease the lockdown instead of the reckless approach down south.

Of course, they need to deliver on that.
But will Scotland (hopefully) be running of the back of down souths system or is more money being wasted on yet another system.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd be willing to bet that nearly all Marketing Departments, Project Developers set targets and timescales that are ambitious. The PM (CEOs) sets the goals they do not personally make the tests, drive the vans or run the labs or develop the software. The people that do are working hard to get there as fast as humanly possible.

Perhaps you'd be happier if we set low goals and achieved them

I would rather they presented honest numbers than their interpretations of what the numbers are/were.
Everyone recognises them as a con and it only adds to the below base line credibility that this government was elected on.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes, the scottish media is very cowed by the SNP. Their attack dogs jump on anything.

I read something that I might be about to slightly misquote but basically the scottish infection rate, testing rate, care home deaths are all worse than England on a per capita basis.

The specific nature of how the Scottish population is distributed across the country could have something to do with the community infection aspects of that - with the vast majority of the population being concentrated in a quite small area across the Central Belt. The care home issue is a worry - as it is all over the country.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
dead right its a disgrace.. across the whole country, but that what you get when you get Privatisation of care homes and profit ahead of people
Given that the NHS in Scotland is the SNP's responsibility (and I'm guessing they have at least some responsibility for overseeing the care home industry), how does the "NS is so statespersonlike" narrative square with this?
My impression (which is just that, hence my curiosity) is that no-one in Scotland seems to hold them to account on these issues. Or maybe it's that the UK media based in England doesn't see fit to perform any in-depth journalism on the subject, so we don't get to see it down here.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Given that the NHS in Scotland is the SNP's responsibility (and I'm guessing they have at least some responsibility for overseeing the care home industry), how does the "NS is so statespersonlike" narrative square with this?
My impression (which is just that, hence my curiosity) is that no-one in Scotland seems to hold them to account on these issues. Or maybe it's that the UK media based in England doesn't see fit to perform any in-depth journalism on the subject, so we don't get to see it down here.

of course they have been just a poor as the UK gov IMO, but i don't think the Privatisation of Care homes can be layed at the SNP door, happend long before Dev, or the SNP.
i do have some simpathy with the Gov as many are private companies, but just shows what happens when you privatise health
i would love the care homes to be taken back under the NHS, we should be looking after our old, not shoving them in these terrible places. FYI we have had 3 shut down in Sneck due to how poorly they were run all private:(

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
of course they have been just a poor as the UK gov IMO, but i don't think the Privatisation of Care homes can be layed at the SNP door, happend long before Dev, or the SNP.
i do have some simpathy with the Gov as many are private companies, but just shows what happens when you privatise health
i would love the care homes to be taken back under the NHS, we should be looking after our old, not shoving them in these terrible places. FYI we have had 3 shut down in Sneck due to how poorly they were run all private:(
Were they ever under the NHS?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Were they ever under the NHS?

No, I don't think they were, but a lot of them were Council run until most were sold off to be privately run.
I hope that whatever comes out if this virus thing, it is that care homes should come under the NHS. If the Care home businesses don't like it, then tough!
Sick Old folk's health and survival should not be left to a profit making business.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
dead right its a disgrace.. across the whole country, but that what you get when you get Privatisation of care homes and profit ahead of people
Privatisation doesn't necessarily mean a reduction in standards. There does have to be an incentive (for profit) though. Penalties for 'lack of care' could well be the incentive that lazy companies and inspectors need to get the balance right!

Status
Not open for further replies.