Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
On the beaches today. So do we start counting the days from today? Good British Common Sense Prevailing? For too many it seems we got to get past good British selfishness and stupidity to get to the common sense I fear.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you belief the rationale set out by Rees-Mogg for MPs returning - as I am not clear how MPs cannot work from home. Maybe not so effectively, but that is not the government guidance. And does the comparison he makes of MPs with teachers hold up?
Did you listen, he wasn't on about jamming the chamber full.

If you have poor broadband working from home is difficult in the modern age, that may have slipped you by.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Herne bay was rammed as was Whitstable, no toilets open so I pity the council workers who will be cleaning it up
Pity the poor innocent people who had their gardens used as toilets according to some news reports. Sad to see so many people on the south coast beaches oblivious to the dangers and social distancing seemed to be a thing of the past. I am afraid this could herald the R number hitting 1 or more and the implications that may have on life, and more importantly the new infections and hospital admissions that may arise

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you belief the rationale set out by Rees-Mogg for MPs returning - as I am not clear how MPs cannot work from home. Maybe not so effectively, but that is not the government guidance. And does the comparison he makes of MPs with teachers hold up?

I don't fall for the rational or word of many MP's . Still waiting to hear what professional qualifications you have to suggests the professor and the minister were part of a 2nd Team or was that you being rude about those working with and in the government of the day.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Your going to attract the wrath of of @Foxholer or maybe teach just directs his twaddle at me.
No ChrisD has a point - though so does SILH. However, I'd like to know how BoJo is meant to provide 'experienced' ministers when he sacked the rebels (his prerogative) and so only has inexperiences ones - but they gain experience with every briefing.

As for your infantile personal digs...they really are just a load of twaddle that need to stop! They do, after all, break Forum Rules!

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
No ChrisD has a point - though so does SILH. However, I'd like to know how BoJo is meant to provide 'experienced' ministers when he sacked the rebels (his prerogative) and so only has inexperiences ones - but they gain experience with every briefing.

As for your infantile personal digs...they really are just a load of twaddle that need to stop! They do, after all, break Forum Rules!

Pot and Kettle comes to mind, along with your infantile need to correct everyone but if your so certain that I'm breaking any of your rules you know where the report button is.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The daily testing figures are getting more and more surreal.

ITN made a big thing about it tonight, saying no fewer than 177,000 tests were carried out yesterday. I thought that was pretty impressive until I looked at the latest bulletin on gov.uk where the actual number of people tested was listed as 60,744.

For the past few weeks, when testing kits posted out were added in, it used to increase the daily total by 20-30%. Now it's inflating the true number of tests carried out by almost 300%!

If we posted out 117k test kits in a day, then that's good news, but persisting with the line that these are valid inclusions in the total amount of tests carried out is totally absurd.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Disappointed to see the government has decided to end the "virtual" parliament that allowed MPs to participate remotely. Clearly there is no way that the entire parliament can safely "social distance" so this move is insanely premature. IMO, it should have been made permanent even post-pandemic to be more family friendly and help MPs with their work/life balance which in the long run could give us a more diverse group of MPs.

Impossible to see any explanation for this decision other than that the PM keeps getting his arse handed to him at PMQs by the new leader of the opposition and needs a bunch of boo-boys backing him up.

Very cynical, don't you realise there is a Tory MP in Devon with crap wifi :eek:

D

Deleted member 21258

https://twitter.com/Nordic_News/status/1263029276309413890

I keep wondering why the second waves are not really starting to rip in countries that have re-open parts, without (I think) massive track/test setups. Seems some of those countries are starting to ask the same question. Will go looking tonight for more details, as interested.

Maybe the measures most countries have taken are 'controlling' the virus and its spread.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
ITN made a big thing about it tonight, saying no fewer than 177,000 tests were carried out yesterday. I thought that was pretty impressive until I looked at the latest bulletin on gov.uk where the actual number of people tested was listed as 60,744.

For the past few weeks, when testing kits posted out were added in, it used to increase the daily total by 20-30%. Now it's inflating the true number of tests carried out by almost 300%!

You are quite right about the figure being misleading, but you maths are slightly wrong. It is Inflated by almost 200% or almost 3x the number of people tested.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The daily testing figures are getting more and more surreal.

If we posted out 117k test kits in a day, then that's good news, but persisting with the line that these are valid inclusions in the total amount of tests carried out is totally absurd.
just imagine the fabrication when we reach the end of May and we havn't made the 200K people tested Boris quoated at the start of the month?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You are quite right about the figure being misleading, but you maths are slightly wrong. It is Inflated by almost 200% or almost 3x the number of people tested.
To be precise, there's a 'to' missing - so 'or to almost ...' in your correction! Otherwise you've done the same as Rudebhoy!

I can still remember Sir Robt Muldoon (who was NZ's PM and Finance Minister at the time) announcing, proudly as if it was an achuevement and/or it was under control, that 'the rate of increase in inflation is decreasing'!! Oh, and I think it was around 18% at the time!! Unsurprisingly, he lost the next election!

Last edited:

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
just imagine the fabrication when we reach the end of May and we havn't made the 200K people tested Boris quoated at the start of the month?

I'd be willing to bet that nearly all Marketing Departments, Project Developers set targets and timescales that are ambitious. The PM (CEOs) sets the goals they do not personally make the tests, drive the vans or run the labs or develop the software. The people that do are working hard to get there as fast as humanly possible.

Perhaps you'd be happier if we set low goals and achieved them

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'd be willing to bet that nearly all Marketing Departments, Project Developers set targets and timescales that are ambitious. The PM (CEOs) sets the goals they do not personally make the tests, drive the vans or run the labs or develop the software. The people that do are working hard to get there as fast as humanly possible.

Perhaps you'd be happier if we set low goals and achieved them
i would be happier if they were just honest about it, lets face it all through this things have been trotted out that in some cases just don't exist, people would perhaps have more faith in the Gov if its told the truth for once?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't share her politics and usually am not a fan but watching her statement and handling questions today it's impossible not to concede that Nicola Sturgeon is very impressive. Lots of questions to answer in the fullness of time but, at first glance, the route forward looks good.

Very capable presentation. What does surprise me though is the tickatape running along the bottom during the BBC broadcast showed that half the deaths in Scotland were from care homes. The government in England got and continues to get (rightly so) slammed for this even though the figures are less.

It does appear the press are giving her an easier ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.