Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Pick for Britain.
Any furloughed workers on here going to lend a hand to the hard pressed farmers and help pick the crops/harvest

First i've heard of this, the website is down!

Is this only for farms that aren't exporting their produce? Tax wise, is it additional to your taxable furlough income, or does it remove your furlough payments?

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
First i've heard of this, the website is down!

Is this only for farms that aren't exporting their produce? Tax wise, is it additional to your taxable furlough income, or does it remove your furlough payments?
I registered a few weeks ago. It’s in addition to your furlough payments and would be taxed accordingly from my understanding. Could mean you’ll end up doing it for about £4 p/h

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I registered a few weeks ago. It’s in addition to your furlough payments and would be taxed accordingly from my understanding. Could mean you’ll end up doing it for about £4 p/h

If the basic minimum wage is £8.72 and you pay 20% tax, I make that almost £7 ph minus a bit of NI.
What have I missed?

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the basic minimum wage is £8.72 and you pay 20% tax, I make that almost £7 ph minus a bit of NI.
What have I missed?
If you get the furlough payment of anywhere near £2500 per month, any additional earnings are added & taxed accordingly. I’m no tax expert, happy to corrected.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Why would we be concerned, it's the Government's job to get the scheme up and running, if they don't they can be held to account.
My concern would simply be that if the government and it's scientific and medical advisors have determined that 18,000 health professional contact tracers (separate from call handlers) need to be recruited by mid-May and trained by end-May - and that level is to support a phased return to school - then the numbers are currently not there.

We heard what the deputy CMO to the MoD said yesterday - it is capability in place that matters and not a date.

If the 18,000 includes call handlers and 7,500 health professionals are what is required then great - job done.

And my wife can stop worrying about her application. The application required her to make declarations in respect of her background and provided identity evidence. I was assuming that giving this up front would enable candidate applicants to be interviewed while any background checks required were being undertaken. But given she recently did her NMC re-validation I am thinking that information is already there.

Just asking for a little bit of clarity please - and a request that such as Eustice do not use ambiguous phrasing such as '...in place to assist in contact tracing'. Precision in language is important in the current environment and is not difficult to give us.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If you get the furlough payment of anywhere near £2500 per month, any additional earnings are added & taxed accordingly. I’m no tax expert, happy to corrected.
That is my understanding. Furlough payments for the 'employed' are treated as if they were your normal earnings and so will be subject to income tax and NI as normal - and I assume Tax Code changes or rebates provided in the normal way. Support for the self-employed will similarly be treated as income, for tax year 2020/21. I don't know if the support goes directly into declared profit.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
That is my understanding. Furlough payments for the 'employed' are treated as if they were your normal earnings and so will be subject to income tax and NI as normal - and I assume Tax Code changes or rebates provided in the normal way. Support for the self-employed will similarly be treated as income, for tax year 2020/21. I don't know if the support goes directly into declared profit.
So if you are on the £2500 per month, according to my rudimentary maths, it will be approx 20 hrs at min wage before you get 40% tax on the remainder. That may be a disincentive to some furloughed workers to pick fruit for approx £5 p/hour

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Government rolling out members of the 2nd Eleven to do the briefings. Wherefore art thou Johnson, or indeed any of your senior cabinet ministers...I'm sitting watching and listening to someone I've never seen before. I guess that that's what you get when you restrict ministerial positions to those who will swear fealty on all matters Johnson. The talent pool of experienced MPs shrinks. And with Stephen Powis being my least favourite medical expert...not the most inspiring pair - but hey - beggars can't be choosers :)

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Our MP getting it the neck today after N Devon traffic was so bad and we became gridlocked nobody can get anywhere with HID staying in work for another hour in the hope that the traffic will ease

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-52742519

To a certain extent what did they expect when you have the government saying people can drive for as long as they want for exercise. Dred to think what will happen on bank holiday if the weather is good. And what this will do to the R rate in a couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.