Confidence

Sully

Visit site
I've recently taken up golf and was absolutely loving it till Sunday. I've been going 4-5 times a week to the local range. Researching what club I would join etc.

Saturday night i had my best range session ever. We have top tracer. Hitting good distance, not curving off to left or right too bad. Hitting nice shots with my wood.

Felt awesome. I've been focusing hitting off the deck with irons and felt I was doing really well hitting some good distance off the deck. Then ...... Sunday.
Couldn't wait to get back out there. Went there and couldn't hit a ball. Literally 10 balls must have hit the side guard- I felt so self concious about the guy on the other side of the guard.

I couldn't fit the ball off the deck kept clipping the top. Literally, the worst session. I gave Monday off and today.

I am hoping my back was tight as it felt a bit funny, but it has absolutely killed my confidence and I won't be at the range till it's dead quiet just before close.

Anyone else ever go through this?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Like riding a bike, when you fall off just get back up and go for it.

Wouldn't worry about boards, they separate the bays for a reason and you are not the first and you certainly won't be the last to skelp one either.

Just chuckle and shrug it off.

D

Deleted member 21258

That's golf, just when you think you have cracked it or taken a step on, it brings you back down to earth with a nasty bump.

We all suffer from it, even the pros.

D

Deleted member 25172

I've recently taken up golf and was absolutely loving it till Sunday. I've been going 4-5 times a week to the local range. Researching what club I would join etc.

Saturday night i had my best range session ever. We have top tracer. Hitting good distance, not curving off to left or right too bad. Hitting nice shots with my wood.

Felt awesome. I've been focusing hitting off the deck with irons and felt I was doing really well hitting some good distance off the deck. Then ...... Sunday.
Couldn't wait to get back out there. Went there and couldn't hit a ball. Literally 10 balls must have hit the side guard- I felt so self concious about the guy on the other side of the guard.

I couldn't fit the ball off the deck kept clipping the top. Literally, the worst session. I gave Monday off and today.

I am hoping my back was tight as it felt a bit funny, but it has absolutely killed my confidence and I won't be at the range till it's dead quiet just before close.

Anyone else ever go through this?

Everyone. Welcome to the wonderful world of golf.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Aye - just when you think you've got golf a wee bit sorted - the game comes along a whacks you over the head with a brassie - telling you not to be so silly to have such thoughts...and so we learn to accept the vicissitudes of the game, and occasionally get to enjoy a good round or two.

D

Deleted member 23344

I’ve been playing c. 10 years and I still can play really well (for me) one day and like a rank beginner the next. Sometimes even in the same round. Its called golf. I find that, when I am playing badly, it’s almost always because I’m trying too hard. Next time at the range, take it easy for the first few swings and slowly build up speed.

Sully

Visit site
As a newbie I would suspect you’ve over done it but as I said it could be a hundred things.
If I over do it my hips and back get tight and I’m not the same player as my body protects the sore bits.

I’m hoping it’s that. Going to suck it up and go out tomorrow night to the range .

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Could be a hundred things not your stock answer

If the OP isn't getting good contact, the club isn't returning to the same place as it was at address.
Think of the body as a clock pendulum, the head being to top of the pendulum.
If the top of the pendulum stays in the same place, the bottom WILL return to it's starting position.
Keep the head still and the club should return to its starting position.

That said, I agree there are other possible causes for poor contact but stopping the top half of the body moving around would help 95% of the people with problems.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Yes , it's called golf, normally your best game is followed by your worst game.
Don't worry just keep practicing (y)

I played at a Cooden meet a few years ago. 41 points in the morning, 41 points in the afternoon. I'd cracked it. I was swinging like a Demi god. Even on the one hole where I cocked up my drive and had to play 3 off, I still scored a point. Not a blob on either card.
Everybody was calling me a bandit. I felt chuffed.
3 days later I played in an Open competition at Hankley Common. I stood on the 1st tee, feeling invincible.
9 points out, 12 points in.
Yep, yep, yep, yep yep.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::cry::cry:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I played at a Cooden meet a few years ago. 41 points in the morning, 41 points in the afternoon. I'd cracked it. I was swinging like a Demi god. Even on the one hole where I cocked up my drive and had to play 3 off, I still scored a point. Not a blob on either card.
Everybody was calling me a bandit. I felt chuffed.
3 days later I played in an Open competition at Hankley Common. I stood on the 1st tee, feeling invincible.
9 points out, 12 points in.
Yep, yep, yep, yep yep.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::cry::cry:

Normal service was resumed ;)

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Try shortening your backswing to maybe 30% of your usual, then hit a few balls until you fell contact you are making good contact, then gradually extend your swing whilst maintaing that good contact.

Another good tip I once read by Greg Norman was take it back low and slow, keep the clubhead low as you can withi your swing, and take it back slowly.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Stop falling back trying to lift the ball.

Golf is a silly game of opposites. Feel like you hit down on the ball slightly.

Pretty much every beginner thinks they have to get the club under the ball.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If the OP isn't getting good contact, the club isn't returning to the same place as it was at address.
Think of the body as a clock pendulum, the head being to top of the pendulum.
If the top of the pendulum stays in the same place, the bottom WILL return to it's starting position.
Keep the head still and the club should return to its starting position.

That said, I agree there are other possible causes for poor contact but stopping the top half of the body moving around would help 95% of the people with problems.

Good advice. Normally I find if my contact has gone to pieces, it's usually swaying causing it. I find that trying to firm up my left side (where the legs are concerned) helps me stay centered over the ball.