Competitive Golf...HELP!!!

Jahmoo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
OK Guys,

All info on this will be appreciated.

Sunday 7th Monthly Mug, nett 69 -3 off 18.8Hcp Cut to 17.9

Sunday 14th Mears Bowls(HCP Champs) 1st round nett 72 Par: I was 2 under on the 16th Tee, then it all started, ended up Paring the 18th to score Par for round, a mare.

Wednesday 17th, Casual round with Pals, nett 67 -5: nothing went wrong, only one bad hole, though still scored a point on that hole.

Saturday 20th, Casual Game with Dad and TGF, 68 -4 40 points.

Sunday 21st, Mears Bowls(HCP Champs) 2nd Round, nett 76: I just could not get it together from the start. a 7 on the Par 5 1st, then on the 3rd, I hit a tree of the Tee, it hurtled towards the OB, went out, hit a tree and bounced back, I took the 4 wood, did not take a practice swing, when I swung the club it hit a branch, only to mess my shot up, went 20yds into the rough, I could have thrown in the towel their and then, I pulled my head together and ended with a 6 on the Par 4. I pulled things back, scoring a 45 on the front 9, Par on Hcp, but when I got to the 16th, a drive into the deep rough, now I could not be bothered, finished with a 8 par 4, then 17th 5, Par3 18th 5 par 4. It was hard work, I was glad to be in the club house.

My Question, why do I put so much pressure on my self to do well on Comp day, but seem to miss the opportunity, as my head just seem's to be under so much pressure. I know I can play better than my Handicap, but I seem to make the Comp hard work for my self.

I qualified for the Status Trophy, which again is played over 2 rounds, off the Blacks, which is 7017yds, a cool 409yds longer than the whites. Its played of Scratch also, so I know for a fact this will be no pressure, as I know I will only be their taking part, as winning this event will not be by me.

What can I do to help myself in this situation

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
What can I do to help myself in this situation

Valium? ;)

In all seriousness, do nerves get the better of you? I've only ever played in 2 or 3 competetive games in my entire life and they're horrible but excellent!

Take your time and give yourself an extra 5 - 10 seconds when addressing your ball before you make your strike to calm yourself.

Really really really concentrate on your pre-shot routine(if you have one....if you dont then really get one as it does help) and just generally try not to think of scoring well.

Sorry if all this is just common sense but I dont know what else could/will help....apart from valium! lol

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think without doubt a solid pre-shot routine would help. Something that is repeated on all shots in all formats (friendly and competitive) will help when the pressure starts.

Personally I have a one yard line begind my ball. I stand behind that and take into account my next shot allowing for conditions, lie, etc and select my club. I put my glove on which is my mental trigger to focus on the execution, take a practice swing and then step over the imaginery line. From there I'm committed to my shot. I address it, look at the target and then fire. Once the ball has stopped rolling I'll go back to my bag and take my glove off. That's my trigger that the shot is over and to relax as there is nothing more I can do until the next one.

It sounds convoluted written but in reality it is quick and easy. My glove is the mental trigger, one practice swing, step up and fire and take the glove off again.

It doesn't stop me making a bad swing, but in tight situations, it gives me a focus and the imaginery line is a real help. Once I'm over that I trust my club selection and my swing.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Sunday 7th Monthly Mug, nett 69 -3 off 18.8Hcp Cut to 17.9

Sunday 14th Mears Bowls(HCP Champs) 1st round nett 72 Par:

Wednesday 17th, Casual round with Pals, nett 67 -5:

Saturday 20th, Casual Game with Dad and TGF, 68 -4 40 points.

Sunday 21st, Mears Bowls(HCP Champs) 2nd Round, nett 76:

I know I can play better than my Handicap,....
Maybe it's your guilty conscience :D
You broke your handicap by -3, -5, -4, and had a level and a +4 That's verging on bandit territory mate. You should shoot your handicap on a GOOD day...not EVERY day.

I wish I could have your bad luck and shoot only 4 over my handicap on a bad day.... bouncing it off trees and all that. I shoot my handicap about one in 7 rounds, the rest are around the buffer zone or total blow outs.

Perhaps a proper drop in handicap might help you remain focused on your play a bit more and you'll think twice before letting one loose at the trees :p

When you have a casual round try doing it without talking to your mates for the whole round...tell them you need the practice of being-at-one with your own game, it sounds like the pressure of a serious game is getting to you and you need to be a bit more rehearsed.

...and NEVER give up until the last putt drops on the 18th. A birdie, birdie finish sweetens the most bitter of tastes.

Regards...

adamk15

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When I first got my handicap I had this very problem. I just tried to concentrate but more importantly try to forget that your in a competition. I rarely count or mull over my score now untill the end of the round, worked wonders for me.

Yerman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Get a copy of Zen golf or better still the audiobook to listen to while on the driving range. :cool:
Great book for the mental side of the game.
I also find listening to relaxing classical music when driving to the course does wonders calming the anticipation. :D