Competition or Social golf

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Just read the recent GM article and to be honest I don't see why it has to be such a divide as outlined by the two protagonists

My social golf still has a competitive edge to it and my comps are still very sociable

Whether its cash or just bragging rights on the line for a social game I try to hit every fairway and hole every putt and in comps whether I go up/down or buffer I want to enjoy the game & the company of those I'm playing alongside

Are you with either of these 'extremists' or somewhere in between?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Socially competitive for me.
I've done the real cut and thrust out and out competitive bit....been there, done that.
Always want to win but playing well is the main thing as you can't control how others are playing.

D

Deleted member 15344

Doesnt bother me as long as im playing golf - its all social for me as im out there to enjoy myself and have a laugh - for me IMO there is no point taking it too seriously - will always prefer a knock up with the mates for a quid or a nice round with the wife than the monthly medal. I still believe if people treated the comps less seriously they may actually relax and play better

Whether its comp or social it doesnt make a difference to our group - its always the same laugh.

Have noticed within club that people are looking to play more social golf and our calender has been altered to change that - to find the right balance between social and comps

Im firmly on the side of Jezz in the articles.

Last edited by a moderator:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I like a mixture of the two. Social golf for a couple of quid is great but I do need a regular club competition to make me play serious golf and not always go for the showstopper shot from an impossible lie.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Love a competitive game against good friends.
Stablefords and medals are "ok" but you can't beat the cut and thrust of matchplay, especially if it is against guys you've known for ages and can give and take a bit of banter.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Same for me. My favourite is match play with mates and banter. Can't beat it for sheer enjoyment. Ours is always fun but also very competitive too.

Same group always plays in our comps to keep our handicaps accurate and up to date. Being honest these aren't as much 'fun' but after a good one, with a division win, pro shop vouchers on their way along with a cut too, then they're hard to beat.

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We play qualifying competitions pretty much every Saturday April-October, and still manage to have a laugh and normally a few bets here and there.

dont really see why it has to be one or the other tbh

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Club competition is the main chance to get your handicap down and I only get one shot at that each week so that is my priority. I can play social golf at any other time and although enjoyable has no real reward.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do both and enjoy both.
However both need to have something on it even if its a couple of quid.
Love having banter.
I do love completion though pitting myself against like minded people.

D

Deleted member 15344

I do both and enjoy both.
However both need to have something on it even if its a couple of quid.
Love having banter.
I do love completion though pitting myself against like minded people.

Playing a lot on your own then :ears:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My favourite is a good social better ball matchplay. Great fun with the right group. I do enjoy a comp but for out and out fun and enjoyment on the course better ball matchplay with a few quid riding on it is the winner

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Even our social games (Saturday roll up etc) have an edge with a few quid each in the kitty. It's about the banter for sure but always nice to pick up the money every now and then. I love my competitive golf (it doesn't reciprocate at the moment) and both have their place in my golfing odyssey

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
My favourite is a good social better ball matchplay. Great fun with the right group. I do enjoy a comp but for out and out fun and enjoyment on the course better ball matchplay with a few quid riding on it is the winner
Spot on. I could go without competition golf, especially the way I played in the last two, but couldn't give up social golf.

D

Deleted member 15344

Spot on. I could go without competition golf, especially the way I played in the last two, but couldn't give up social golf.

Would happily play social and society golf for the rest of my golfing life on courses around the country with good mates - sounds perfect

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Would you not want to try and better the handicap though? I see where you are coming from but I'd get bored long term not having that competitive itch scratched
I will never get as low as I did when I was 17, so to be honest handicap means nothing to me. In six years at Blackmoor my handicap has gone from 11.0 to 10.7. Touched 13, and dropped to 9. Unless I started practicing, which is not going to happen, 11 is about right.

I have gone from a really competitive teenager, to a very social old fart.:eek: I know which I enjoy most.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Golf will always be about fun for me. The handicap will go up and down, form will come and go but there is no better feeling than holing that putt on the last that means you do not have to hand your mate a fiver. I dont practice enough to get really low and when I have focused on handicap I find I end up playing for the sake of it and the enjoyment diminishes. If you are having fun the good golf and handicap cuts will come of their own accord

D

Deleted member 15344

Golf will always be about fun for me. The handicap will go up and down, form will come and go but there is no better feeling than holing that putt on the last that means you do not have to hand your mate a fiver. I dont practice enough to get really low and when I have focused on handicap I find I end up playing for the sake of it and the enjoyment diminishes. If you are having fun the good golf and handicap cuts will come of their own accord

That is spot on - the reason for my recent run of great form was because I was really enjoying myself and have great fun with good mates on the golf course - the scores took care of themselves :thup:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I will never get as low as I did when I was 17, so to be honest handicap means nothing to me. In six years at Blackmoor my handicap has gone from 11.0 to 10.7. Touched 13, and dropped to 9. Unless I started practicing, which is not going to happen, 11 is about right.

I have gone from a really competitive teenager, to a very social old fart.:eek: I know which I enjoy most.

But it doesn't have to be about getting as low as possible does it? Surely playing well, especially in a medal at Blackmoor takes some doing and don't you enjoy the challenge of trying to do that on a regular basis, even if your handicap is higher than when you were a slim, athletic sprog