Competition leaderboards - Professional game and club level

kennen01

Visit site
In short, should leaderboards be visible before the last player has tee'd off?

There is a proposal within in club to remove leaderboards from our club system until the last player has tee'd off however, I'm pretty sure that at a professional level they don't do this so not sure why its proposed at club level?

Any help and or advice is gratefully received. thanks

D

Deleted member 15344

You can’t compare the Pro game and the Am game in this area because the Pros are playing for their livelihoods regardless of what someone else has scored

And why do you need to turn it off at your club ? Do people really not go out just because a good score is in ? Why ? Our leaderboard is online from the start and I haven’t heard of one person who has pulled out when seeing the scores

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The concern often given relates to handicap competition specifically.
Whilst a players actions in returning their card, or even completing their round, shouldn't be influenced by prior knowledge of leading scores they are aware of (which may or may not be current) it only takes one instance to prove the premise.
Another argument is that it's an advantage to later players to know (at least some) score that they have to beat - an advantage the early players can't match. You can argue that one many ways of course, but it's hard to argue that for some players having more information is an advantage.

kennen01

Visit site
You can’t compare the Pro game and the Am game in this area because the Pros are playing for their livelihoods regardless of what someone else has scored

And why do you need to turn it off at your club ? Do people really not go out just because a good score is in ? Why ? Our leaderboard is online from the start and I haven’t heard of one person who has pulled out when seeing the scores

Personally, I agree. I think that they should be available and it gives people a target.. It wouldn't't stop me playing just cause there was a decent score all ready laid down.

kennen01

Visit site
The concern often given relates to handicap competition specifically.
Whilst a players actions in returning their card, or even completing their round, shouldn't be influenced by prior knowledge of leading scores they are aware of (which may or may not be current) it only takes one instance to prove the premise.
Another argument is that it's an advantage to later players to know (at least some) score that they have to beat - an advantage the early players can't match. You can argue that one many ways of course, but it's hard to argue that for some players having more information is an advantage.

Is it an advantage? I'm not so sure. Is chasing a target easier than setting a fresh one? Don't know !

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think HDID has the option to turn the leaderboard off so scores of those playing early aren't visible to those teeing off later. That said, we are usually able to see where we are on the system as our handicap secretary rarely chooses to take the option up. I don't think knowing the winning score makes any difference to people wanting to go out and play. You can only control your own scores and can't worry what anyone else is doing or has done

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is it an advantage? I'm not so sure. Is chasing a target easier than setting a fresh one? Don't know !
My mate is off +1 he was standing on the tee laughing.
I asked him why “ just found out someone posted +9 “
So he needs to shoot 11under five better than the course record to beat it.
You can argue it’s an advantage to know scores but ?

D

Deleted member 21258

For AMs, I don't think they should be seen until the last person finishes and card entered/handed in.

Terrible thing to say but I am sure cheats benefit on Opens or the like, if you are inclined that way.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
one the whole i doubt if it would make much difference to 99% of Amateur golfers, who would not be able to see a score and then actually then be able to go out and beat it its the 1% thats the problem. one well known cheat up here got his dad to go in the clubhouse, after playing 15 and then shot a lower score as they were last out.

at ours we have screen in the changing with scores on and NairnDunbar has it on a TV so you can see the scores go in while in the bar

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
In short, should leaderboards be visible before the last player has tee'd off?

There is a proposal within in club to remove leaderboards from our club system until the last player has tee'd off however, I'm pretty sure that at a professional level they don't do this so not sure why its proposed at club level?

Any help and or advice is gratefully received. thanks

They use to do this at my last club and it was fun to watch afterwards with a beer. Problem was there is a group on player in the afternoon in every comp, and they would check to see what was winning. If they thought they couldn't beat it, they didn't play in the comp.
I'd say as long as no one can see what is winning BEFORE they go out then it's ok. If not, you'll end up with less players in the comp.