Comp - Weather delay

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

So nice and simple

How does your club handle weather delays

Perfect example - this weekend first tee is 7:30 , get to the course and a couple of greens after flooded due to the deluge early morning - me and the golf director decided to delay the start of the Comp until 8:30 whilst we see if the course can become playable

At 8:15 course back open with Comp to start at 08:30 and we decided as we normally do that all tee times to be delayed by however long the weather delay

Now a few people have complained because that meant they would not get round due to the fading light so they believe the people who were due to tee off between 7:30 and 8:30 lose their slots - their belief is it is more fairer because then only a small amount of people are inconvenienced.

So what does your club do and which do you think it the better way to do it ?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
So nice and simple

Perfect example - this weekend first tee is 7:30 , get to the course and a couple of greens after flooded due to the deluge early morning - me and the golf director decided to delay the start of the Comp until 8:30 whilst we see if the course can become playable

At 8:15 course back open with Comp to start at 08:30 and we decided as we normally do that all tee times to be delayed by however long the weather delay

Now a few people have complained because that meant they would not get round due to the fading light so they believe the people who were due to tee off between 7:30 and 8:30 lose their slots - their belief is it is more fairer because then only a small amount of people are inconvenienced.

For me it’s a clear decisions. Tee times are put back. It’s a delay, by its very definition tee times are delayed. Not sure how elseshould work.

If a club had say 3hours of tee times booked. Is it really fair that the guys who arrived promptly for their tee have to effectively tee off four hours later?

cant say I’ve ever played at a comp that didn’t do as you do.

Sounds like sour grapes from a few that have been inconvenienced, would be interesting to see how they’d react if they were told to get to the back of the queue having booked an early start.

D

Deleted member 16999

We don’t delay the comp we cancel it, if the course re-opens later people can still play at the times they’ve booked, just not in a comp.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
So nice and simple

Maybe I'm having a mental block. Surely the same amount of players will be inconvenienced whoever started from the first tee.

D

Deleted member 15344

Maybe I'm having a mental block. Surely the same amount of players will be inconvenienced whoever started from the first tee.

Their theory is because everyone’s tee time is moved 1 hour then they are all inconvenienced ad opposed to just the ones who lose out early

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Similar issue in the past, but with fog as opposed to standing water on greens, however I think the same would apply.

Our tee is booked solid on comp days from first light until late.

If the course is closed and you miss your tee time as a result, you don't play.

When the course is re-opened, the first booked tee-time is the first group on the course.

I think there'd be a lot of issues if every tee time throughout the day was delayed, in theory everyone would be affected, rather than just the groups who had times booked whilst the course was closed.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
More than 30 min delay.
Nov 1 thru end Feb - comp cancelled. Actual booke times honoured
Less than 30 min delay and Mar 1 thru 31 Oct - times moved along time sheet.
If later players cannot complete, they are given an extension of 5 days

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not a great problem normally especially using 3 tees but if there are still guys going off it's turn and turn about. Folks are normally sensible and accommodating.
So, if they start at 8 min intervals they are now playing at 4 min intervals?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
So, if they start at 8 min intervals they are now playing at 4 min intervals?

You could look at it that every 8 min 3 x 3 balls are going out at the start and for the majority of our comps in the winter we would be pushed to get more than 20 x 3 going out.

For clubs with large fields perhaps a shotgun start is the answer.

Last edited:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
You could look at it that every 8 min 3 x 3 balls are going out at the start and for the majority of our comps in the winter we would be pushed to get more than 20 x 3 going out.

For clubs with large fields perhaps a shotgun start is the answer.

If my arithmetic is right, you can only have 18 x 3 balls for a shotgun start.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If the field is too big for shotgun or two tee start what about moving the starting hole forward by one hole for every 10 mins worth of delay (just for the groups that couldn't start on time)

So for a half hour delay the 1st group start on hole four, 2nd group on hole three, 3rd on hole 2 leaving the 4th group to start on time at the first hole, the 1st tee will be clear by the time group one gets round to finish their round etc

If the delay is over an hour or so then the comp will likely be called off anyway