Communications Officer

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My club is debating installing a communications officer. According to the board member I spoke to tonight it's very much at the discussion stage. What would you think of for the role, what would you have in the JD and what qualifications would you look for? How would you use that person to sell your club? Seems to be a blank canvass and if I'm honest not sure what they would bring, but on the flip side, someone managing social media, following up on society enquiries, membership enquiries etc it makes sense. Thought?

Wolf

Visit site
Have the club said what the reason for the role is. Communication officer is a very open ambiguous job title as its something of a role that can be manipulated to individual companies requirements. For example in my company that role has just been renamed to social media officer that looks after enquiries, social media marketing and providing information to each site, yet in Mrs Wolf company its so one who literally looks after telecoms, Internet and other communications.

So as LT says without knowing which gap this is designed to fill you could end up with any number of different suggestions none specific to what you're actually recruiting for.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I would be looking for someone who can create video content that is irreverent and fun.

Someone who can manage a twitter / Instagram / Facebook.

If you plan to do this to advertise to people who don’t already play at your club, then take a chance and go with a youngster who is confident and tech savvy. Leave them to it and give them a budget for software / time / props every month.

Change the way Golf is seen by current non-golfers.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What other paid, professional roles do you already have at your club? I'm looking to understand where they might fit in, where the gaps are?.
We have a GM, and their assistant who looks after DD's, finance, society booking etc. Bottom line is its two proper full time roles so time is tight to follow up on tentative enquiries, social media promotion and perhaps even talking to members more (with valid stuff to say of course)

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have a GM, and their assistant who looks after DD's, finance, society booking etc. Bottom line is its two proper full time roles so time is tight to follow up on tentative enquiries, social media promotion and perhaps even talking to members more (with valid stuff to say of course)
Are you interested?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The first question has to be what are they communicating? If the expectation is that they will be selling the club via the various media platforms, the obvious role is that of a marketing professional capable of developing the material and launching it.

The next question that springs to mind is what sort of return does the club need to make this role pay its way? Lets make an assumption that the role will pay at least £30k/year. Add to the the NI and pension contributions and you've now got a bill that's rising to close on £35k.

If the current green fee is £50, that's 700 new visitors required. It would be reasonable to assume that visitors will spend over the bar and with catering. And some of those visitors may well join. Lets be generous and say thats 600 new visitors.

EDIT: don't forget to add in the cost of material and equipment.

He/she is going to have to create a fair bit of interest to generate £35k, and that's just to break even.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Are you interested?
NO NO NO. Lets get that straight.

Chewing the fat over a Guinness or five with a Director having been to the hospital at the top of Ascot (seemed rude not to pop in). A very tentative idea, as they are determined to push the club going forward (branding the name for a consumer market being an obvious choice, especially an overseas market)

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Would have thought it would just come under the GMs remit. As Hobbit's sums illuatrate it would need a lot of green fees to pay for itself. Top end places and/or those with multiple courses, leisure facilities etc I could understand but not for a regular club.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would widen the scope of the role, not just restrict it to communications officer. As Hobbit has pointed out this person needs to recoup a good deal of money to cover their costs so they need to be bringing in new members, visitors, societies, corporates etc. Communications, social media etc are crucial in the modern era but that should be part of their job, not all of it. I guess I'm saying there needs to be some obvious signs of an end product, not just an improved online presence or a smiling face when a newbie turns up.

Potentially a great asset for the club but it's a gamble whether it comes off as you hope. I'm guessing your club has a bit of money behind it? Can it take the risk for a year or 2 to see if the role covers itself?

Wolf

Visit site
Sounds more like it should be labelled a Sales and Marketing role, that way could pay a certain amount of basic then introduce a sliding scale commission based on revenue brought into the club. They could still be responsible for Social media presence, local area promotion, in house promotions and events plus the sales and follow up side. Seems a more sensible and viable way of doing it than awarding a title like Communication officer that has no real bearing on the actual role.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Funnily enough our club has just appointed someone in the much the same vein. I only met the guy on Saturday so not sure what his previous qualifications are. But from what I understand the role will involve keeping the website members' area and public page up to date, and communication with members, whether that be via email, WhatsApp, or the old school noticeboard for the seniors. I think they even mentioned creating more of a social media presence with maybe an Instagram and Facebook profile, which currently doesn't exist I don't think.

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
My question would be why is this not included in the GM's role?

My mate is a GM and that is one of his biggest things at present is building and promoting a non existent social presence for the club that is stuck in the1990's.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
As wolf says it sounds more like sales and marketing, with communication & social media just being a tool

My local club has one and used to good effect I’m sure they would easily generate 10’s of thousands in golf plus other indirect revenue but I guess first of all the club needs to decide if it actually has anything worthwhile to sell or are they creating something new, and to what volumes (and whether there’s a market to buy it)

Then they’ll know numbers & whether it’s worth employing someone